title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, February 1, 2016

Raised by Wolves

At 5:00, I saw her headed this way.  Walking with a very determined stride.

I girded my loins and went to open the door.

"I feel nervous and upset, so I came over.  Make me feel better!"

"Okay.  Sit down...here's your ashtray.  How's it going?"
=====================

Her grandson is moving to Canada when he turns 18 in June.  He met a girl on-line and they have been chatting for a year.  They are in love so he's going there to get married.

Dar took them to supper last night,  The boy hunches over his food and shovels it in as fast as he can.  The girl eats with her hands--even mashed potatoes--she dips two fingers in and sucks the potatoes off.

Neither one of the kids gets up until afternoon.  They, of course, do not know how to work a Microwave, a Dishwasher, a washer or dryer.  They don't even know to set at the table for meals--taking their plate and heading towards their bedroom, not returning the dirty dishes.

"What is wrong with these kids?" Dar asked.

"Obviously...they have been raised by wolves."  I answered, which made her laugh. I continued, "It's not that they are stupid...they've never been taught."

Her son has a Welfare card from Oregon, that he also was able to use in Indiana, so I am assuming he only needs to go to our Welfare office to get his food card "reloaded" for this month.  He also has an abscessed tooth that is making him sick.

"They have nothing!  Except a dog.  They have two sets of under wear and jeans and tops.  They have worn and slept in them since Friday night!"

So I said, "Okay.  You have tomorrow off--right?"

"Yes."

"You get up early and by 9:00 you head to the DHS office up in Howell.  Get his food card reloaded, fill out the forms to get him help finding a place to live.  Ask them how to get testing for your grand daughter and see where she can go to school.  Tell them that this family is homeless and you are trying to help them.  Don't even mention you are the Grandma.
On the way back, stop at Gleaners and sign him up to get food there.  When you leave there, you drive straight to the free dental clinic--Vina--in Brighton and make an appointment to get his tooth pulled On the way back home, you stop at the Salvation Army, where you used to work, and get them some pajamas and some clothes, coats...whatever they need."

"My life had just evened out and was peaceful.  I don't wanna have to do this!!!"

"Well, your son doesn't know where all these places are, so you gotta take him and get it underway.  The sooner you get everything underway, the sooner they can move into their own place.  Plus, if the boy is moving to Canada in three months, you need to get him a Passport.  He can no longer cross the border without one. Post Office for that application."

"Oh.  I forgot all about that!"

"Has Wayne checked to see if the kids can collect from their mother's Social Security."

"Oh my Gosh!  Probably not."

"Well then,  you need to have him call the SS office and check on that.  My Gosh--each kid could be getting five hundred a month until they are eighteen."

"He won't do it.  He wouldn't even know how."

"Then, you gotta do it for him!"

"I did stop up at the office this morning to register them living with me."

"That's a great start.  Now you just gotta do the rest and then you can go back to work the rest of the week and be away from it--at least until you get home."

"I didn't want to get into anymore trouble with the office, so I even told them that Wayne is a felon."

"A...is...what?"

"If they check his background.  He was in prison for five years for robbery."

"Okay."

"And...he won't allow his daughter to go to school."

"Why?"

"She weighs over two hundred pounds.  She can't read or write.  He's afraid the kids will laugh at her."

"Well, I'm sure when DHS is told that. they will find a special school for her.  If he doesn't, and DHS realizes he has two kids who have never been to school, they will send out CPS and put his kids in foster care.  Does he want that?"

"If that happens, he will pack up and run again."

"Well Dar, I guess that's his choice and nothing you can do about it.  You can offer to help get them settled, but if your son won't accept living in a normal society...there's nothing you can do about that."
===================
I didn't even know that people like this lived in this world!  I am soooooo naive!  It's not like they've been born and raised up in the highest mountain of Kentucky, away from civilization!  I guess the wife/mother arranged all the Welfare stuff, because the husband sure doesn't even know where to start.

I think the two of them, lived and wanted to live a free-spirit sort of life.  They expected the children to express themselves and do whatever they wanted, not be taught in schools with their regimented ideas. 
When the wife became ill, she would not go to a doctor, or let hospice come in and help.  At the time, they were house sitting--she died in the bedroom of the home owners!!!
==================

So, I helped as much as I knew to do.  As Dar left two hours later, she said, "I knew I had to come over here.  You always make me feel so much better!"

"No problem.  Let me know if I can help in any way."
<Idiot!  Why did I have to utter those last words?>  




16 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. The son has indeed led a different lifestyle. Living off of us, the taxpayers. Honestly, I don't mind offering a helping hand. Many people need food assistance during different times of their life. But to have their whole source of income?? I hope Dar figures out a way to not keep them with her very long ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Liberal government as increased the Welfare cases and options for the last many years. You have heard of generations of family's who have always lived on Welfare--right?

      Delete
    2. I've heard of that, Judy, but never knew anyone. And, you're right, the government as it is now will let anyone have everything they want. That is, except those of us who work hard and occasionally need help. When Patti was a little one, I applied for assisted living help, but I made like $5.00 a week to much to qualify. I made a vow then I would NEVER ask for help again. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh, my gosh! I never knew our state would give that much free stuff to people who haven't lived here for awhile. I always thought you had to be a resident for a certain length of time. I also didn't know those food cards could be used across state lines. The girl needs to go to a foster home where she might have a chance of learning how to live in the real world, get an education and have a chance to be normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food Assistance, or Bridge Card or Snap Card is a National Government program so it can be used in all States. Once the money is loaded on the card (he gets $600.00 a month for food!) it can be used anywhere it is accepted--for food. Before he left Oregon, he gave his card to a friend to use to stock up on food because he knew he wouldn't be stocking up as he was heading out of state. Anyone can use the card, if they know the PIN--no ID required.

      Delete
    2. You wanna borrow mine? I get $15.00 a month. :-)

      Delete
  3. Reading this kind of stuff just makes it so much more fun to drag myself into work every day, knowing I am helping to support their lifestyle! Hate this liberal government we have! I have no problem with a helping hand but handouts really get my goat, and 1/3 of my paycheck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is becoming worse and worse, Nettie. If Bernie gets in the WH, taxes are going to be even higher to pay for his free college, health care and even more entitlements!

      Delete
    2. I doubt Bernie or Trump has a chance. We shall see.

      Delete
    3. Oh, but what about all those illegals? All they have to do is show up here. I'm so sick of it; hearing about it, seeing it. But Judy, what if Hillary gets in the WH, what do you see happening different from the way it is now or with Bernie getting it?

      Delete
  4. I agree with Jean. The girl needs to go to a foster home, for all the reasons Jean wrote. Dar is such a bimbo (did I just write that?). I mean, she is acting like an unhealed, traumatized child herself, if she can't get (grand)motherhood responsibilities in order. She's putting her head in the sand, and treating her own son like a kid instead of an adult. Ideally she or someone will provide him the opportunity to own up to the consequences of his own choices - if not for himself, for his children. I wish CPS would weigh in on this, for the sake of his children, before his son reaches 18. Any chance you could call CPS (anonymously)? You appear to be the only adult in the room, Judy.

    Dar reminds me so much of my own mother, and her mother. Yes, this distancing **** mothers do is a legacy thing, and SO injurious to their own kids. The opposite, helicopter parenting, I hear is injurious, too. Goodness, who will speak up for the children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of contacting CPS does cross my mind, but I would never do that. It really is NONE of my business. Yes, Dar's children are not good parents because Dar never was, nor her mother, nor her mother! Who realizes this before they have children to harm and stop the whole forward process? I don't think we realize that we were not so good a parent until our own kids are too old to help. Thankfully, although my father was rough on me, my kids saw the examples of my grandmother and mother and myself as very nurturing and loving. I think that is why my two daughters that have children are such wonderful parents?

      Delete
    2. Any chance you could talk Dar into calling CPS? She seems to listen to you and as for it not being any of your business, Dar has made it your business by bringing you into the loop and seeking your advice.

      Delete
  5. You are just amazingly patient and loving, Judy. You are trying to guide Dar by giving her the tools/info she needs to help her family. That is really all you can do. Hopefully, the proper authorities will get in there and take control of all the insanity, but it feels like an insurmountable "project." This is only a microcosm of the number of situations that exist like this.
    It is all so sad, yet, you are there as a bright spot, but I hope you do not "shine" at your own expense. Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a story. Well, you gave her all the information she needs. You can't do more than that. Hopefully they will follow through. She's lucky to have you next door.

    ReplyDelete