title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

I've Been Thinking.

I can hear you all saying, "Oh. Oh."

Really, it's not all that bad--honest.

I have wanted a fireplace in my home for many years.  When we remodeled my grandmother's house, we had a perfect wall for a fireplace.  Unfortunately, the contractor convinced my husband (who didn't want one) that a fireplace would draw all the warm heat from our living room, up the chimney, therefore increasing our oil bill.  UNLESS--we had an insert or a draft pipe up to the outside and tight glass doors on the front.

Now--more than the heat source, I just wanted the look of the flames and the SOUND of the crackling logs.  So I said, "Never mind."

When I was staying with my friend, Ernie, he put an electric heater Franklin stove in his living room.  We could see the flames, but there was no sound.  No crackling of burning logs.

When I moved in here 13 years ago, I looked at electric fireplaces,  I knew right where I'd place it. But, I also needed an entertainment center, and there wasn't room for both.

A few years ago, Fred and I found an electric fireplace, plus media center all in one!  At the time, most of them were up into the $1,500-2,000.00 price range and no way we could afford that.

I have not lost that long held dream.  I've been searching the Internet, looking for just the perfect one.  I found it last winter.

So--I have an idea!

This is my entertainment center in the living room.
Painted a pale, washed green.

This is part of the closet in my den.  Plastic boxes filled with yarn.  Patterns, etc.


 This is the corner of my bedroom.  Plastic box and boxes and bags filled with yarn for the projects I am working on for Chrissy. My bedroom furniture is a painted green

I want to put this in that corner.  Take ALL the totes I have filled with yarn, knitting needles, crochet hooks,
from the closet and put this in that bedroom corner.  I hate clutter and want it hidden behind the closed doors!


Then, I want to place this lovely Craftsman Media
Center, in light oak, in it's place in my living room.
 
where this stood.
I am going to have the outlet rewired with a ground (like the ones in our bathrooms and kitchens) so I CAN use it for a heat source, but I probably will never use it for a heat source.  Basically it's just a small space heater behind the magical flames.  The one I want costs only $402.00--much lower price than the $1,200.00 one I first fell in love with that had glass front doors on the storage.  These doors will cover up the sight of the videos hidden behind. :-)

The "mantel" of the fireplace is (34" tall) three inches taller than where my TV sits now, so it would be just above that chair rail thingie that runs the length of the wall.  It is also 20" wider and 2" thicker, than the now entertainment center.

The electric fireplace itself can be used just with different flame heights, patterns and different sounds, campfire, dying fire, whatever.  So I can get the ambiance of the flames flickering and the SOUND of crackling, burning logs.  All run by remote clicker! and not use the heater.

I have several friends that have these and, they ALL love them.  They come in all sizes and prices.  Tall, very wide, ornate.  Cherry, Mahoganey, Red Oak and Light Oak, that will match my furniture.  I want to keep my wee house with an open, clean, minimalistic feel so I am going for the one I finally chose.  The TV sets on top, the media stuff in the shelf underneath and the videos behind closed doors.

I have been saving up for my 5th and hopefully last car repair, and when I get that taken care of, will put money in the jar that has the pix of the fireplace on it. :-)  Maybe by next fall?
 =====================
Now--what I have been thinking about is this:

I want the many knitting/crocheting storage boxes all in one place AND I want that corner clutter in my bedroom GONE--what if I got a 34" tall stand or table or something, at the Salvation Army Store, to put my TV on and move the entertainment center into the bedroom NOW?

YES--my living room might look strange with the TV sitting on the "whatever", but it also would give me a sense of not having that tall piece of furniture that is now there, and I would get used to the idea?  I really don't know how I am going to feel with a lot of open wall space above the fireplace. 

Although that tall piece was purposefully purchased and sat there on the slant, to kind of use as a room divider between there and the kitchen.  Am I going to feel like the kitchen is invading my living room with it gone?  

This is the view any guest has, from the couch.  Can you picture the fireplace sitting in that space, flat up against the wall and only 3 inches above the chair rail with the TV on top?


From the rocking chair, where most guests sit.

That tall piece DOES accentuate the height of the ceiling and sort of divides spaces.

What do YOU think.  I was never any kind of room decorator!!!
===================

OR--should I just leave everything right where it is until I get the fireplace?

OR--should I just forget the whole damn thing because in reality, how many years do I have left to enjoy a new piece of furniture?

AND I probably need to buy a new recliner first!
=============
Move it now?
Leave it until fireplace arrives?
Forget the fireplace altogether?




15 comments:

  1. Yes! Do start saving up for it. Do you have to put it in the same place? I think you might have fun rearranging your rooms .... but do it on PAPER!! A million times, a million different ways! Shake it up. Then invite (strong) friends to make it a reality. Take your time to envision everything.

    Depending where you put your new fireplace, you can hang your hand made items above or put some shelves on the wall to take advantage of the space above. Change up your life a bit!!!

    This is so exciting! You may have to bake cookies and invite some helping hands when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't rearrange the living room any other way. Believe me--I have tried. Besides, on that outside wall is where the cable comes in for the TV. The couch is way too long to put on any other wall--without obscuring a window and I won't obscure any of my big windows. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm a great believer in saving for something you've wanted for so very long. But I would worry that for $400 a piece of furniture that size would be very low quality. But does that matter at your age? As for how it will look in the place where your other media sits now...if you bought a couple of shelves with same stain color and length as the fireplace/media unit and put them above the TV it would give you the height and accent you have now and need in the room and fool the eye into thinking the unit is bigger.

    A temporary and very cheap thing you can do while you're saving up is to buy one of those fireplace DVDs or CDs to use with your TV. My niece has one and it's hard to remember that it's not a real fire. It has the sounds too. You actually can fool yourself thinking you'll get warmer if you sit closer to the fire. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen those, Jean. The only thing wrong with the DVD, I want to have the flames and sound WHILE I'm watching TV. LOL

      Delete
    2. Usually the price is higher because it has a higher wattage/BTU for the heater--like 1,200 sq. feet. Plus higher and bigger piece of furniture. Since my living room is 16 x 20, and I don't need that heat source and I don't want that large a piece of furniture, this one will work.

      Delete
    3. You will love having your old media unit to use as storage space.

      Delete
  3. Google "fireplace for TV" and you'll find them from $5.00 to $8.00. I might just get one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would look fine with the smaller piece there. It would open it up more. Maybe you should go check out the SA store and see what they have before you decide to move anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white cabinet will be perfect for your bedroom corner. I love love love that idea! My thoughts about its replacement. I love the fireplace, and its wood will tie in with the wood cabinetry. But you do have a dilemma!

    I like the diagonal placement of the white cabinet, for the reasons you wrote. I imagine this serves to angle the TV for your viewing comfort. Doing what you suggest - replacing the white cabinet with the fireplace 'mantle', presents two problems. Higher TV (maybe neck strain ) and loss of room separation. Maybe losing the room division will be OK. What you lose there you gain from the warm ambience this fireplace mantle imparts both the kitchen and living room space.

    Any chance you could move the TV somewhere else entirely, somewhere lower? I personally have my TV closer to eye level, so my neck has no strain. I have seen some TVs above the mantle and it seems too high for comfort. Just my two cents' worth :_)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would only be a couple inches taller than it is now and because I sit in a nice plump recliner chair and am tall, there is no neck strain as the TV is now. If it didn't look too squirrely, I probably could slant the new fireplace/TV stand too. I only have it slanted for guests on the couch to watch and, realistically, how many guests do I have? HAH!

      Delete
  6. I love what you've chosen, and saving is a great way to realize your dream. None of us know how long we have in this world, so GO FOR IT. I agree that the "shorter" unit will make the room look larger. If you decide to move what you have now, please get help to do that that. Okay?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sally--you know me so well. I have those slider thingies I can put under and move it down the hall. After I unload it of course. I feel the urge coming on to do just that. YIKES!!

      Delete