title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Sad/Happy

What an unusual day!  Well--not exactly the day, but the happenings.  

I have a Downy Woodpecker (female) that I noticed had a bad left wing.  She would climb up the tallest part of the Rose of Sharon bush, but every time she tried to fly up to the suet cake feeder, she'd take a header to the ground below.

Tuesday, I went out and tried to catch her.  Even with a bad wing, she could hop faster than I could hobble to catch her.  She flew into the Lilac bush and clung to the side of a limb.  Every time I put my hand out to get her, she'd maneuver around to the other side of the branch.  Back and forth we played this game until I finally game up.

Yesterday, while at the store, I got a new green wire suet cake holder.  I forgot to tell you--this is the 3rd one I have purchased this year.  I put up my nice copper one this fall, but I had it too close to the porch roof line, a squirrel hung over the edge, knocked it down and hauled it across the street to the woods behind Jackie's.  I bought another one--a green, wire one, and again, a squirrel did the same thing.

This spring, I plan on going into the woods and hunting for my suet cake holders.

Anyway--I then bought a nice one, with a little wooden roof and hung it in a different place,  way under the porch roof and said squirrel couldn't reach it.  I didn't exactly want to put that nice one down for my injured Woodpecker, so I got another wire one and hung it on the Lilac bush limb.  She could get up to it and ate from it.

This morning, as I was watching activity at the bird feeders, I noticed she was once again sitting in the Rose of Sharon bush--about four feet up from the ground.

All of a sudden, a black Feral cat we have around her, came leaping out of the air, grabbed her in his mouth and looked around.  I ran to the front door, yelled at him, "NO!" and he fled.

Oh. My.  GOSH!!  I was horrified!! He knew she was injured so he went after her.  Mother Nature's, survival of the fittest.  It bothered me all morning!
==============
After my Soap, I had to run up to the bank.  When I got home, I decided to fill up all the feeders and the squirrel lunch counter.  I looked around a little bit, while I was under the large silo bird feeder.  I thought perhaps I could find one of her feathers and put it in with my feather collection, to remember her.

Well, what to my wondering eyes did appear?

There she was!  Huddled down at the base of the bush!  I tired to pick her up, but she hopped away and back up into the Lilac.

I went about finishing up filling the feeders.  An hour later, I saw her, at the top of the Rose of Sharon bush.  She wanted to eat from the wooden feeder, instead of the one I had put in the bush for her.



 After her 4th attempt, she finally did fly up to the feeder.
 You can see her wing(s) aren't quite right, but I think she is getting better.
At least, she wasn't the Feral cat's lunch!!!!!!!!

==================
I don't suppose you remember last March, when I made up a beach vignette in the kitchen?


I have decided if I move the tall entertainment center to the bedroom corner, I need to get rid of the cart and beach stuff--leave that whole area by the kitchen table, open.

So--I moved my beach stuff to my bathroom, which is decorated in all beachy stuff anyway.
I am going to move the cart, across the room to where my collection of old boxes and Cows are now residing.





I may use the old trunk for my TV to set on.  Maybe.  It would be lower than the fireplace/media center, but it will give me the open feeling, to get used too.

I am going nutsy-cuckoo about all of this.  LOL

==============
I hope I don't forget that I have a fasting blood draw in the morning--in preparation for my  annual Wellness Check-up next Tuesday.

We used to call it our Yearly Check-Up.  Now, the primary care doctor's don't do those (Pap, breast exam, etc), now we get a Wellness Check.  Where we tell him how we feel and he listens to our heart and send us on our way.

GEEZ!!!

8 comments:

  1. It feels good to shake things up! Yes!! My living room was vanilla with a burgundy wall, burgundy pillows and a dull beige with greenish tint carpet. I'm changing it up to be a beachy theme. Burgundy wall is now vanilla. Several new throw pillows. Now a hunt for carpet. And a container of shells on the coffee table. I'm hopefully having a handy friend install a wall shelf over the sofa ... so I can easily put up art and change it up on a whim!

    Meowi has trouble with feral cats and birds also. It's so sad. But I guess survival of the fittest. We do not have many varieties of birds here so it's pretty exciting to see a wild parakeet or lovebird or finch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the winter and being inside all the time that makes us want to rearrange the furniture. I've been playing decorator all day myself.

    Your poor woodpecker! That's my favorite bird of all and I hate to see them hurt. I wonder how it got away from the cat. I would have hated seeing the cat get the bird but it is their instinct. I saw a blue-jay get three babies out of their nest once...me only 2 foot away. No amount of pounding on the glass would stop the jay. Made me heartsick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad all was well after the fiasco! Good to know he wasn't eaten. :(

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm glad the little woodpecker is ok! Hopefully she will make a full recovery or it's just a matter of time before the feral cat gets her again. I'm curious as to how she got away from it. Anyway, your place should look very nice when you are finished moving things around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying little bird heals fast...I like the new look as well!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a story about your woodpecker. My heart went out to her! Thank you for yelling at that feral cat, so Ms. Woodpecker can live another day. Maybe heal enough to fly high out of harm's way.

    I love your plans. Will you show us this project as it moves along? Who will move your large white cabinet for you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I forgot to say I really like your beach things in the b/r. It looks so nice. I remember when you bought the pic; love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such fun to change up things in your house. I have always loved doing that, and creating little corners for collections. Not as easy to do it in the space I have now at my son's, but I manage little things here and there. It is our creativity, always needing to emerge.
    Sad and sweet about the bird. You are a wonderful friend to nature!!

    ReplyDelete