title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Nailed---In More Ways Than One.

I used to bite my fingernails--they were always short with very little nail above my finger.  For some reason, and I don't know why, I quit about 10 years ago and now, my fingernails grow really fast and really long.  I always wanted long fingernails and at one time, wore the glue on kind.  Now--unheard of most of my life--I have to cut them back because when they get so long, they cause problems.  Like hitting the wrong key on the computer.




Tonight, I noticed that I no longer have any half-moons at the base of my nails!!!  The nails themselves are almost opaque!

I figured this was probably a sign that I had some rare and terminal disease so, I Googled the problem.


Fast-growing nails are an indication that you are well nourished, but no single food or diet promotes nail growth. You might have heard that fingernails continue to grow after people die. But that’s a myth.

Nails change over time. Just as skin tends to become drier with age, so do nails. They may become thicker, thinner or rougher, and they may develop fissures, striations and splits. Nails can also become discolored and dull and take on a yellow or gray hue or even become opaque. Meanwhile, the lunula— the white half moon seen at the base of nails—disappears in some people as they get older. Many, if not most, older people have at least one such age-related nail change.

I am now much relieved and think I can sleep tonight.
==================================

I went to Wal-Mart this afternoon to FINALLY buy some food.  When I got home, I called Dear John to help me carry in the heavy stuff.  He came over with Maisey and proceeded to tote the heavy bags of Diet Pepsi, jugs of water and canned goods in the house for me.  

Then we sat out on the porch and yakked for awhile.  He said he had to get on home, as he needed to shower and meet a group from his church, "Dinner and a Movie" people.

It was funny to watch.  Dar came over to drop off a plant she had for me.  John asked what Meijer she worked in and what "line" she was cashier.

"I shop there all the time and I have never seen you."

"I'm there every day, all day," replied Dar.

"I usually go through the self check-out, down by the pharmacy."

"I never work that area," said Dar.  "Well, I gotta get going, I have a plant for Pearl too."

She stepped off the porch and headed up the street.

John says, "I gotta go too.  It's getting late. C'mon Maisey."

I have never seen that man move so fast!  Instead of turning for home, he walked on up the street, then stopped at the end of Pearl's drive and talked to her and Dar.  Of course, Dar was having none of him and walked right by him, with the plant and across the street to her house.

John turned and came back this way and around the corner to his home.  I was inside, watching all this.

I had to chuckle!!!  It seemed like he was on a quest to talk more to Dar.

Dar is as tall as I am, but very muscular and solid and quite mannish.

If Dear John tries to make friends with her--talk about getting nailed?  He's only 5'6"--by the time she got done berating him and telling him where to go--he'd end up with Maisey having to walk HIM home, with HIS tail dragging!!.

HAH!!!
===================
When John turned the corner and was out of sight, I took the plant over to Dar's to return it.  It is a house plant and very poisonous to cats.

She said, "Did I interrupt something?  Was John asking you out?"

"Nope.  He carried in my heavy groceries for me and we were just talking.  He might be interested in you though."

"Phbbt!  You know how I feel about men!  They disgust me!"

"Well, he's a real nice guy."

"Yeah...well.  He can plow the snow out of my drive if he wants too, but I don't like how he wants to stop and talk to everyone he sees when he's out walking. He could be a real pest!"

Poor John.



5 comments:

  1. Ha! Dar and John? Who knows? I guess stranger things have happened, but he'd do better to stay away.

    I checked and my lunulas are gone. At least I can't see them. I'll have H check when he gets up. Learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm all caught up. I've read everything and left comments. You had quite a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe...how in the world did we get thru life with google!?!? i checked my nails, i still have them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have an entertaining neighborhood.

    I went through the whole thing about worrying obsessively about my disappearing moons on my fingernails, only my research didn't turn up the same 'harmless' results as yours. Mine points to a B12 deficiency. http://www.health-boundaries.com/fingernails-2/ According to them: "Good vitamin B12 levels produce white moons at the base of each of your fingernails. When levels are low, the thumbs’ moons are last to go." I started taking a multi-vitamin and my moons came back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness - I think I need to read earlier posts to make sense of all of this! Jx PS - Your nails are very, very elegant.

    ReplyDelete