title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

In The Blink of an Eye





feisty





adjectivefeistier, feistiest.
1.
full of animation, energy, or courage; spirited; spunky; plucky:

=================================================

Maybe not so much today!

I know I have told you about the neighbor I had when I lived in Saginaw.  She lived directly across the street.  A bit eccentric, but a good person.  She was a professor at a college just north of Saginaw; Delta College.  She started the entire dental hygiene school there.  Never married.  At one time, a heavy drinker and was continually setting off her house alarm--usually in the middle of the night.  Ernie would have to get up and run across the street and shut it off for her, because in her confused state of mind, she couldn't figure it out.

When I moved, 12 years ago, she kept in touch, once in awhile.  Then, after Fred died, she started calling me every Tuesday, at precisely 4:00 in the afternoon.  Every Tuesday!  Sometimes it became an annoyance.  She had a habit of saying, "anyway" every few words.  

"Anyway, I had to pick up Sally this morning, you know to take her to her doctor's, anyway, she was not quite right in her head.  Anyway, we got there and, anyway....."

It was sort of distracting listening to her because I got to counting "anyway", just to see how many times she'd say it.  

She only had so much allotted time to talk as she had to get on with her next Tuesday phone call, on her list.  She had a list of people she called, on a certain day, at a certain time.

I was her Tuesday...at 4:00.

She didn't call on June 16th, and I wondered about it, but she did call on the 20th-the day before my birthday.

"Just called to wish you a happy birthday." and then hung up the phone.  Strange.

She didn't call on the 23rd, the next Tuesday.  I called her, but no answer so I left a message to please get back to me as I was getting worried about her.

I felt so uneasy.  I thought she must be in the hospital or dead.  If she were in the hospital, she still would have called.  So yesterday, I decided to check things out.  I went on-line and searched the Saginaw, Michigan obituaries.  And there it was--IN MY FACE!


Phyllis Ann Jernstadt, age 78, of Saginaw, formerly of Big Rapids, passed away on Wednesday, June 24, 2015. She was born on February 24, 1937 in Big Rapids, the daughter of Martin and Mary (Eichenberg) Jernstadt. She graduated from Big Rapids High School and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Education in 1968 and a Master of Science degree in Occupational Education in 1991; both from Ferris State University. Early in her career, she worked as a dental assistant for Dr. Harmon in Big Rapids then Dr. Najar in Grand Rapids. Phyllis started the dental hygiene and assisting program at Delta College, Saginaw 1967, retiring in 2003. Phyllis was president of the Michigan Dental Assisting Association in 1973 and 1974. She held local office in the association throughout her career and had been the education chair for the last three years. She is survived by one sister-in-law, Betty (Jim) Jernstadt; nieces and nephews, Bill (Shirley) Jernstadt, Dale (Mary) Jernstadt, Ollie (Mary) Irvin, Gail Weller, Dana (Angela) Irvin, Ace Jernstadt, Honey (Karl) Blemaster, JT Jernstadt, Carol Jernstadt, Marty (Angela) Jernstadt, and Anna Maier; her adopted son, Tony (Liliu) Bao; grandchildren, Tony Jr. (Shelly) Bao and Julia Bao; several great and great-great nieces and nephews; plus many cousins. Also surviving is dear friend, Sally Ross. Funeral Services will be 11:00 am Monday, June 29, 2015 at the Mohnke Funeral Home in Big Rapids. Visitation will be Sunday, June 28, 2015 from 2:00 5:00 pm at the funeral home. Interment will follow Monday's service at the Highland View Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be made to the Mecosta Animal Rescue and Adoption Center.

It wasn't as if I was shocked, because I knew that I knew, but to see it was true? 

I could feel my heart starting to pound and I felt a chill all around my mid-section.  Yes--I guess I was in shock.

But--you know me.  I had to find out what and how and when and....all of it.  But how?

I checked out the funeral home guest book and found a name I recognized--a friend Phyl had talked about.  Carol Moody.  She had worked with Phyl.

I saw Carol Moody now lived in Kalamazoo.  I jumped on Face Book and found no account.  So I Googled the White Pages and there was a Carol Moody listed...in Kalamazoo.  I took a chance.  Her phone number was listed so I called.  No answer so I left a message.

"Hi--this is Judy Miller, a friend of Phyllis'.  I just found out.  Could you please call me and...if this is not the Carol Moody who was also Phyllis' friend, I apologize for this call."

She called me back!!  Carol was Phyllis' 8:00 pm, every Monday phone call.


She didn't know much either, but...Phyllis had pain, went to the doctor and he admitted her to hospital on the 15th of June.  She must have called from the hospital to wish me a happy birthday.  She had a blood clot and they were giving her blood thinners to break it up.  She was doing well, but on the 23rd, the clot broke free and went to her lungs.  They put her on a ventilator and she died the next day. 
========================

I sure will miss our phone calls.  Phyl kept me up to date on all the happenings in the neighborhood where I used to live.  When Ernie was sick and dying, she'd call two or three times a week to let me know what was going on across the street.  If he had been outside walking--how he looked.  What he said and how he acted when he went over to visit with her.  If I hadn't heard from him, I'd call Phyl and ask what she knew.

She told me when his house sold and all about the cute, young woman who bought it and how much she loved the house.

Phyl kept me in touch with a place I had lived and loved for 12 years.  It was nice for me to have that.  

I'm sure going to miss her Tuesday at precisely 4:00, phone calls.  
























































4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you lost a friend. What a quirky call system she had for keeping in touch but nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, sometimes we just know! She certainly was an accomplished lady. I know you'll miss her calls. :(

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so sorry! Judy you do have quite the stories and adventures with friends...sometimes they just crack me up but in this case I am just sorry. I do think that you must be the sort of person that others need....you help them / you are there for them. Even though many of your stories about them are so funny...I get the sense that you are are a help and central figure in their lives :)

    ReplyDelete