title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, July 3, 2015

Happy

Maddie is home!!!




Her best friends were there too--they rode to the airport with Stephen and Helene.

She and her bestie, Susanna, had a sleep-over.

and then, Maddie reconnected with life in America and her favorite--Jimmy Johns


...but I kind of worry about this guy who keeps sending her love-lorn messages on Face Book---



Then I notice in her Jimmy Johns photo, she is still wearing her "Purity" ring, so I am reassured that ALL was not lost in Guatemala!!
==========================

You just never know.  I remember when Jennifer went to Spain for a 3-month work/study program while she was in college.  There was a guy named Miguel--her host family's oldest son.    He even came to the States the next year to visit.  Then after she graduated from college, she went back for nine months.  Miguel was distraught when she married. Then, after her divorce, she went back again--just to see if they had a future.  THANK GOD--on her plane trip back home to Boston, she sat next to a guy from New Jersey and, as they say, the rest is history.

Then I remember when I went for the summer music program at Michigan State University ( 2 months) and on the 4th day there, I met a really, tall handsome and suave kid.  The first time I was on my own, so to speak, and he was so cute and funny and really interested in ME and not just some jock who only wanted to talk about himself.  He was a fantastic dancer; taught me some of the new dances that were unknown to my small hick high school, and his kisses?  Be still my heart. The last week, he took me downtown Lansing, to a jewelry store and told me to pick out any ring I wanted.  Oh my!  But, I came home and married the high school boy I had known all my life.

Richard Spencer Dunham.  His name still sends shivers.  Luckily, we are still in touch, and sometimes he says, "I wonder how different my life would have been if you had said 'Yes' to my proposal."
==================
There is something so romantic about being away from home, for the first time, and meeting a boy, and no one you know, knows him and............... 
================
As Maddie was flying home to Metro airport, her Mom Karen, was also headed out from the same place, headed west to spend some time with Susie.



So, I had two in the air at the same time, which gave me a moment's pause. Back in the day, I would have had their flight numbers, the airline they were flying on, when they left and when they arrived.  Sometimes, even going on line and watching their flight on the radar thingy.

Nowadays, I just ask God to keep them safe and go about my day.
==================
Pammie called this morning.  I asked if her two gay friends, Jimmy and Paul had gotten married or were planning too, now that it is legal.

She said, "They've been together twenty-five years and they see no need for a certificate to prove anything.  Besides that, I've heard them talk about how gay marriages usually don't work out.  Nope. They think the whole legal thing is rather stupid."

Hm-mm.  A younger friend of mine, Phil and his partner DID get married.  They too have been together 20 years.  They thought it was important to get the "certificate."

Different ways of thinking, I guess.
==========================





Hosta luego

8 comments:

  1. It's interesting how people meet. I've only heard of meeting on a plane in romance movies. Your story of the missed opportunity before your first marriage sure would have been food for thought though out your unhappy marriages. So sad we can't see our futures before making life changing decisions.

    I had to laugh at your story about Pammie's gay friends. As if after twenty-five years together they think a piece of paper would cause them to get separated. Either they are on solid ground or they're not. And I seriously doubt divorce with gay couples will statistically be any higher or lower than with straight couples. People are people .Some rush in too quickly, and others get married for all the wrong reasons. Some cheat, some are abusive.Lots of reasons for divorce that will apply any married couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed opportunities probably were good. He has been divorced many times--each time for having an affair. He would not have been a good choice for me, that's for sure. BUT--it is nice to look back and be flattered :-) I agree on gay marriages vs straight marriages. I don't know if I could live with the same person for that long a time--I get bored just living with me!! With Fred--it would have been possible because we were so much alike and friends. I never had the "friend" part with either marriage.

      Delete
  2. Dame Judith, the hat is stunning! And what magic we encounter away from home for the first time : -)

    It sounds like you were wise to let the magic with Richard Spencer Dunham remain at Michigan State. But what a pretty name - Dame Judith Spencer Dunham. >sigh<

    I'm so happy for Maddie. Now what does her future hold? She needs a good girl-to-girl visit with her favorite Grammie. And we need to hear more about Maddie's FB friend. LOL

    Happy Independence Day, Dame Judith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you're happy that sweet and smart, Maddie, is home. And, hope you get to have some one on one time with her as your friend, Flo, mentioned. Let us know about the guy she has the pic with. Okay, so shoot me, but they make a nice looking couple. Okay, I'm tip-toeing out now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pic. I had a giant hosta at my other house, but I never thought about putting it on my head. LOL

    So glad your girls are safe. You are right about ther being something about meeting a boy when you're away from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Sally, above, put that picture of the kitty on FB. I said it was a cabbage leaf, not a lettuce leaf, so a we of our friends challenged me to come up with something better. So, I cut the biggest Hosta leaf I could find and then went with "See ya later." Supposed to be spelled Hasta luego, but it had to be HOsta to work in the hosta leaf. I giggled for a half hour after I posted it on FB.

      Delete