title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Lovely

I got to see Maisey yesterday.  John was taking her for her morning walk and when they got to my driveway, she stretched out her leash and headed toward the porch.  I was in this front computer room, so I stepped out on the porch.

Maggie (my cat) always comes to the screen door and she and Maisey talk through the screen.  John and I sat on the porch chairs and chatted.  He didn't have to work at the school yesterday, but he had promised a friend, with mild dementia, that he would come over and stay with the guy, while the wife went grocery shopping.  After that, he had to make a meal to take to an older couple--he does that the first Wednesday of every month.   

First he had to go to Meijer to get ingredients for the chicken noodle soup he was going to make for them and to the Brighton Bakery as the old couple like some kind of special bread and the bakery keeps it back for John to buy.  Then after all that, he wanted to go to church.

He goes to church every Sunday and Wednesday and sometimes to a group supper there on Saturday nights.  The group usually goes out to supper and a movie.

John is the middle of 13 children.  No wonder he likes to talk so much.  He probably didn't get enough attention when he was a kid.
===========================
I planted the rest of my Impatiens and crocheted most of the day.  I had to run into Brighton to get more yarn.  Another 5 more strips and it should be done and, it is pretty.  Periwinkle, Plum and variegated yarn with those two colors in it.

I got around 5:00 and the phone rang.  It was Karen.  She and my oldest grand daughter, her daughter Helene were over to Jen's helping "stage" the house for an open house this weekend.  She told me that Elise's last band concert was at 6:30, if I wanted to go.  I washed up and jumped into some nice pants and top and went.

WOW!!  I was impressed with this 5th grade band.  kids!  Usually a 5th grade band concert--this is the first year the kids have learned how to play their instruments, doesn't sound all that great.  This band sounded as good as my kids band when they were in 8th grade.  

Elise plays her Mom's flute--that $400.00 one I bought for Jen when she was in 10th grade.  I noticed that Elise sits up straight in her chair AND she doesn't tap her foot to the beat, which I was always taught was a "no-no", so I was very proud of her.  She came up into the bleachers to sit with us, when her band was done.






Jennifer, Me, Elise, Helene, Karen
My oldest and youngest grand daughter's.

Note how tall Elise is.  5th grade--11 years old.  Helene is as tall as me.  I think I have mentioned before that it has always been a thing of pride in my family if the grand kids can be as tall as Mimi/Gramma.  I'm really glad that I am tall so the grand girls think it's okay and aren't a bit embarrassed about their height, like I was.  I had such a lovely time with part of my family.
=========================
I got home around 8:00 and when I walked up on the porch, there by the door was a plastic container filled with chicken noodle soup--and it was still warm.  I carried it in, took the top off and ate half the container, as I had no supper.

Man...it was delicious.  I think the best chicken noodle soup I have ever had.  

Jackie, across the street, had arrived home from a weeks vacation this morning.  I had gathered her mail and watched her home and I figured she had made the soup for me.  Then..................I remembered about John saying he was making chicken soup for the old couple.  But--could a mere man cook like this?

So I called him.

"Hi, is this the Meals on Wheels man who left chicken noodle soup at my door for my supper?"

"Meals under wheels," he said.

"John!  This is the very best chicken noodle soup I have ever had!  I had to leave before I ate supper, I was hungry when I got home and... I just ate half  of it!"

"Well... I made so much...took about three meals worth over to the elderly couple, ate some myself and thought maybe you'd like some."

"Thank you so much.  I have been wishing I could find someone who would cook for me.  Are you taking orders?"

"What do you want?  Chili?  Potato Soup?  Shepard's Pie?"

"Shepard's what?"

"Shepard's Pie.  You make it out of sheep.  Do you have sheep on the farm?" (Hah, hah.)

Then he went on to explain how it's made--I've never had it and it didn't sound too good to me, but...if he ever makes it--I sure will try it.
============================

Okay, so John goes to church 2-3 times a week.  He reads his Bible every day.  He is an animal lover.  He mows lawns for his neighbors and cleans out their snow piled driveways FREE and...HE COOKS!  Plus, he gives great hugs and has kissable cheeks.  Hm-mm.

But, he talks too much and for too long.  He's only 5'6" and only 71 years old.  Hm-mm. 

I say, keep him as a platonic friend.  Right?

If he goes to church and reads his Bible that much, he wouldn't want unmarried sex anyway.  Right?

So I don't have to be scared of him?

7 comments:

  1. John sounds like a very caring person who wouldn't expect you to do anything you didn't want to do. I'm betting he, too, is just looking for a platonic friend. If' he's not then time will tell and I know you've got the instincts to know if he's trying to step things up. Hint: if you want to keep it platonic, hugs are still great but I'm not so sure about the cheek kissing. I never cheek-kissed any of my husband hugging friends and who are still my friends. Let's vote on it, see what your blogger friends think. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your life if full and happy right now. Your grand-daughter is sweet.

      Delete
  2. You can never have too many friends. I say enjoy your times with John. Age and height be darned! He sounds like a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hugs, kissable cheeks and delicious chicken noodle soup sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Friends are great. Friends who can cook are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I can't imagine you being scared of him! Sounds like a great friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice day. Shepard pie is good. At least, mine is. :) John sounds like a great friend to me, no one to be scared of, especially if you just keep things as friends.

    ReplyDelete