title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, January 7, 2016

GEEZ LOUISE!!!

Tuesday morning, the daughter of my best friend called and asked if I was going to be home.  She, her daughter and grand son were headed to Howell to visit her aunt and then wanted to bring me lunch on their way to the Costco store in Brighton.

Gosh, I was so glad to see them!!!  They brought Arby's and Diet Pepsi for me.  So many tight and long lasting hugs from (Arlene's daughter) Kathy and her daughter Mandy.  I had met the little guy in November at our Old School Gal Pals luncheon, but now, I had him all to myself--kind of.  He is such a smiley Precious Boy.  Came right to me, like he had at the luncheon.  I even got my old knees to cross so I could give him a "To market to market to buy a fat pig, home again home again, jiggity jig", on my ankle.

When Kathy left she said, "We are making new sweet memories, because the old sweet memories are so dear."  A few tears from all three of us.  It was wonderful.

Then I was trying to take the long panel off the front of my furnace to change the filter. The little plastic button that unscrews the panel, was not moving--no doubt the last person who put in a new filter, screwed the closer in crooked! So--I got a pair of pliers and took care of the problem--broke that plastic thingy right off! No way to get the panel off unless I pried it until it snapped/broke/whatever. Afraid of doing that and cutting myself and bleeding to death, I called my handy-dandy appliance service plan coordinator to send out a service guy. I was afraid they wouldn't send out a tech just for a broken door, so I just said, "I have a problem with my furnace.   No problem. "He will call you between 8 and noon tomorrow to tell you know when he will arrive." 

I had an interesting thing happen that afternoon. Every prescription med I take has the side effect of dizziness. I tend to get dizzy spells if I stand too quickly. I also have an optic nerve problem.  If I am doing close work or reading and stand up too fast, my eyes don't adjust and I get dizzy and my eyes gets weird. 

I was crocheting that afternoon, I jumped out of my chair to walk quickly to the bathroom. I felt the dizziness start, but instead of stopping to lean on the dryer, as I usually do, I turned to go into the bathroom. My eyes were all googlie, and as I reached out to grab the side of the door, my hand met nothing but air. My legs then suddenly became invisible and down I went. Landing on my bad shoulder, cracking my neck and my head bouncing off the (thankfully) carpeted floor. 

I rolled over onto my back to assess any broken parts--there didn't seem to be any and I actually said--out loud--"Help. I've fallen and I can't get up." Which made me giggle. But--I really didn't know how I WAS going to get up. I can't just rise from the floor and stand up and besides, I was still kind of dizzy and hurting all over. I finally, rolled over onto my tummy, pulled myself over to the throne, pulled myself up on my knees and cradled that toilet like a sick drunk! 

My head was pounding, my shoulder was screaming, but I managed to open the toilet lid, grab the seat and pull myself up, then slammed down the cover and sat for awhile. I never lost consciousness, the dizzies just took over my brain. I was fine the rest of the day, but my neck felt like someone judo-chopped the back of my neck and my shoulder hurt way down to my elbow.

I really kind of worried that, as hard as I had hit my head, and being on a blood thinner, I might have a hematoma or a small brain bleed, so I called Pearl and told her what had happened.  I asked if she would look out of her bedroom at 8:00 the next morning to make sure I was still alive.  "I will open my bedroom curtain the minute I get up.  If you don't see it up by 10:00, you have a key to my house, come down and check."

My biggest fear of living alone--dying in the middle of the night and no one finding me for weeks!
================
I sat my alarm to make sure I didn't miss the 8:00 call from the service  tech.  When I woke up, my head hurt like crazy--I couldn't turn my neck from side-to-side and my eyes still weren't focusing very well.  I opened my bedroom curtain to let Pearl know I was still alive.  I waited for the service tech to call at 8:00.

He called at noon and was here in fifteen minutes.  He asked what was wrong with my furnace and I told him and explained that I didn't know what to tell the service coordinator as I was afraid they wouldn't send someone and pay for the repair.  He got an Allen Wrench and had the screw out of the panel in about 5 minutes.   He will bill my service plan $95.00 for a service call.

After he left, I took the plastic knob, put a teeny little dot of Gorilla Glue in it and stuck it onto the end of the screw.  Worked like a charm.

I decided I better get something to eat, it was going on 1:00.  Just then, John and Maizey knocked at the door to come in for a visit.  "I can only stay a minute", John said,  "I have to go to the store and get some stuff to make Chili."

He left an hour later!!!

I knew I had to run up to Wal-Mart because I had hardly a thing to eat in this house.  No milk.  No Diet Pepsi.  No food and I needed to get a new filter for the furnace.

I started out at one end of the store, got the filter, got some cotton yarn, over to the grocery area and up and down every stupid aisle!  I have no appetite, so it is difficult to shop for food when nothing sounds good.  Up and down the aisles.  I got up to the front, near the frozen food section and all of a sudden, I started sweating and my hands started trembling.  I felt like I could barely move my legs.

I grabbed some frozen entrees' and headed to the check out line.  Thankfully one was open, so I rushed in and started unloading.  I felt so weak--not dizzy, but very, very weak.  I do not remember what I bought.  I do not remember even speaking to the cashier.  Just got my stuff into my cart, swiped my Debit card and got to my car.

It was only when I got into my house and down in my chair that I realized, not only had I not eaten all day, but I had forgotten to take my morning pills AND my noon time pills.

I got a bottle of Special K protein drink open and started chugging.  I grabbed a piece of string cheese.  I got my pill case and got my morning pills down.  I take Potassium and if it gets low--I get in trouble.  Low Potassium is what sent me into A Fib last spring.  Plus I had not taken my high BP pill or my anti-depressant.  I waited an hour and took my noon time pills.

All this time, my groceries were in my trunk.  I didn't have the strength to get them.  I called John and asked if he could come and help me unload.  He had been cooking Chili so he brought me a nice container full.  I didn't let on that I wasn't feeling well.

Getting up at earlier than normal, with only about 5 hours sleep, plus no food and no meds, just about put me under.  I went to bed last night at 9:00 and slept until 10:00 this morning.

When I got up this morning, the front of my head still felt "heavy". The Tinnitus ringing in my head/ears has been louder than normal--probably from the head slam?  So, I took two Advil, which I am not supposed to take, but by noon I was feeling pretty good.
========================

I took my garbage out this morning, walked around a bit.  The sun was so warm--48 degrees today.  Look what I found in my garden.  Daffodils coming up (unheard of in January) and laying beside them, this little heart shaped rock.  Where did he come from?





















I think I need to make an appointment with my Chiropractor!













13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you called Pearl to check for a signal that your body and soul were still together. We had a wonderful, precious old gentleman in our church. He was 88 but faithful to services and so kind and happy to meet, and very aware of everyone and involved in what was going on. A few days before Christmas this year, he fell and hit his head. It was in the house, his family were all with him, and it wasn't a severe blow at all. At first he seemed fine but the blood thinners he took every day helped a brain bleed to develop. He lived less than twelve hours. It was hard. So please be careful.

    I have a tendency to fall because I have hip arthritis and my balance is not what it used to be. On Christmas Eve morning I stepped out onto the back deck which has a few steps down to our pool area. It had been raining. I stepped off the last step and right onto a few slick slimy leaves. I went down so hard, onto my right elbow and right hip. I injured my right shoulder last May in another fall, and it already had a tiny tear in the rotator cuff, for years now.

    I lay there on the deck (no one else was home and I didn't have my cell phone on me) and wondered the same thing as you: How am I going to get up. I'm glad I put a small white stool (the kind people sit on in the shower) over against the house a few feet away. I got up onto my knees (carefully) and crawled to the stool and got up that way. IT HURT but I didn't hit my head. You better know I went straight to my chair and licked my wounds.

    Judy. When you get up every morning, have an unvarying routine: Eat a little something and take your meds. Please don't forget again. And take care.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honest Jenny--I do the same routine every morning. I have my warm cocoa and take my morning pills, but because I got up early and waiting for the service tech to call, I was discombobulated! I have been having Cheerios with some banana each morning since. My Daddy died as a result from a fall also. His was because his kidney's couldn't filter out all the blood from his bruises--he was 92.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, Judy! There has got to be someway we can remind you to eat breakfast! Maybe we could each take a day of the week and PHONE you (I would have to get up at 3am but I would do it!). It takes a Village!!! We are getting to the age where we need to be vigilant. Have a person you check in with every day.

    Love you ... as bad as these things are, it could have been even worse. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had these dizzy spells for years! Even been to a neurologist for them. When I stand up too fast, my blood pressure drops (the biggest cause of falls in the elderly) added to the optic nerve problem I have, I usually have a dizzy every day. Weird--today I have had none. Maybe the bounce to my head shook up all those wires in my brain and corrected the optic nerve problem? :-)

      Delete
  3. Why are my words up there so wonky?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My niece gets those dizzy spells when she gets up too fast and has since she was a teenager---she's 50 now. You can't be in a hurry when you first stand up but you already know that. My brother gets dizzy spells, too, when he doesn't eat. I'm so glad you didn't get seriously hurt when you fell. I've used the toilet to pull myself up from the floor too. I have handicap grab bars by the toilet and they were a godsend.

    I'm assuming you've already researched what to do when you miss a dosage of pills. Some you aren't suppose to take if it's too late because it puts it too close to your next day dosage.

    By the way, I think Fred left the heart-shaped rock. Remember the heart tree. It's his thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone on FB is telling me the rock is a sign from Fred. Nice thought--even though I don't believe in that sort of thing. Some say when you see a Cardinal, it's a visitor from God, rather then a hungry bird that stopped by the feeders. My best friend's daughter thinks Lady-Bugs are a sign from her Mom. If the soul of my departed loved one is in Heaven, they are way to busy loving everything there to be concerned at what is happening here--in their past. If I believed in such "signs", I would be greatly troubled because, all the heart shaped "cuts" on Fred's Heart Tree, have mostly grown together into just a long gash. That would mean, Fred no longer cares?

      Nah--it is just a little rock, but a really cute keeper of a little rock. :-)

      Delete
    2. If Cardinals are a sign of God coming to visit then he comes to my house a lot. LOL

      Delete
  5. You just better be careful young lady! I'd read most of this already except I missed about when you got the groceries. Okay, I see that everyone has given you advice so I'll just add, God bless you and know you are loved by many. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't post on FB about the Wal-Mart incident Sally. TMI, :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh, Judy, I wish I was there for you! I would like you to go to a doctor's; at least keep him or her in the loop. How is your shoulder? Anything black and blue? I understand you have a good handle on your sight issues and dizzy spells. I'm just thinking about maybe mending your shoulder, your neck, your body! I am so glad you are going to go to your chiropractor.

    I agree with AW. We're getting to the age and circumstances where a daily phone call is invaluable. We can take turns for each other!

    Re the heart shaped rock: I am one of those people who believes it is PRECISELY BECAUSE Fred is so happy and beloved up there, that his love abundantly spills over to you.

    xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief, Judy! What an awful time. I get those dizzy episodes, too. Thank goodness the whole thing wasn't worse. It's scary when these things happen and you live alone.

    Daffodils in Michigan in January? Crazy time!

    My Tinnitus has gotten louder recently. Wonder what that's all about?

    I'm so far behind. I'll try to catch up this week.

    ReplyDelete