title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Rainy and Dreary



The road that runs by" my" Cemetery.  It curves to the left and continues
through another 1/2  mile long tunnel of trees.


I put this collage together for my Throw Back Thursday photo on Face Book.

It show three generations of us, starting with my Mother, holding the same Bible on our wedding day.
My mother--Me--Susan--Pam and Karen.  Karen now has the Bible and we are hoping that one of her daughter's will use it too.  Wouldn't that be nice?

I (thought) I was posting funny pictures and comments on Face Book about the new neighbor's.  Playing Gladys Kravitz and all that.  Last night, I posted a picture of the guys coming in to flush out the sewer connection behind their house and kidded that their son, the park manager, should have told them that part of that connection has problems from time to time.  It is the part for Jackie's house and theirs.

Then, people starting commenting that I should turn in the park management to some authority to force them to fix the problem.  I should form a committee to take this problem to park management with our complaints.  The new neighbor's could sue--all that sort of thing.

I realized that my FB "friends" were taking all my (to me) funny pictures and getting a bad picture of this lovely park we live in.  Those who commented are people that have lived in cities all their lives.  I suppose, if they had this kind of problem, they would be calling City Hall and demanding someone do something.

Well--we live in the country.  We don't have city water and sewer--thank goodness!  We have well water and a good sewer system that drains off into an APPROVED retention pond down the road.  We also don't have to pay for our water and it doesn't have all the chemicals like Chlorine or Fluoride in it.  It is tested three times a year and it is pure to drink. 

We also don't have to pay for garbage or yard waste pick-up.  We have snow removal and the grassy areas mowed.  All our electrical and phone lines are buried, so we never lose power.  All this is included in our rent.  We also get free trimming and removal.

So--then I went back on Face Book and tried to explain how different things are, living in the country and "they" commented that I was "writing a book to try and make peace", or I was a "suck up."

I wonder if all those city people get those services free?  I think not!

It seems lately that no matter what I post on Face Book, someone has to comment in a negative way, so---this has taught me something.  Not only will I put some of these people on my "restricted" list so they don't see my postings and...I will not be posting very much--absolutely no more Gladys Kravitz photos of the neighbor's for sure.  

I won't delete Face Book because there are many games on there that I really look forward to playing, but that is going to be about all I do.

Anyway--as I looked out my front windows this morning--and you know my view and you know it is nearly impossible for me not to see everything that is going on across the street--I see this:  Jackie is informing the new neighbor's that they have placed their garbage on "her" lawn!  I was amazed that she would even confront them about something so insignificant.  She's (supposedly) a nice, Christian lady, but she was very upset that they moved in. 


I guess she thinks their bags are going 
to kill her grass?

...and an hour later, she made her point.  LOL


Merle and Pearl went shopping for a new recliner for Merle--his birthday is this coming Monday.  They looked at a ton of chairs and finally Merle said he was tired and pointed to the one he wanted.  Then Pearl decided she would get a matching one.

They made arrangements with their daughter to pick them up yesterday, as she had the use of a pick-up.  Merle came home early from work, at noon, and they were ready to go.  The daughter didn't show up so Pearl called her. The daughter had let her daughter take the truck to work because her car was almost out of gas.  They would be over after the daughter got home.

Pearl was livid!!!!!

"She does this all the time!  We get everything arranged and then---it all gets changed!"

Well, along about 6:00, I saw them leaving to get the chairs.

Pearl called me this morning to walk on up and see their new chairs.

The minute I walked in the door she said, "You aren't going to like them."

I walked into the living room and looked at the chairs.


$249.95


"I think they look nice!"

"Sit in it."

So...I did.  A smallish chair, my head was above the back, it wasn't a "chaise" type, so my legs weren't supported, my feet hung way over the edge of the foot rest, but other than that.

"It's way too hard, isn't it?"  Pearl asked.

"Well, it's new so..............."

"It doesn't rock!"

"No.  It doesn't."

"Look at the fabric.  Merle, with his dirty hands and greasy hair is going to have that chair filthy by the end of the month!  Lay it back."

So I did--it was nice.

"It lays too far back! "

"Oh--well, I like that feature.  I wish mine went back, flat like a bed."

"Well--Merle specifically said he didn't want one that laid way back like that."

"Didn't you................."

"I want to take them back!".

I got up and moved over to another chair across from her so we could look at each other--eye-to-eye.

"Didn't you try it out in the store?  Didn't you sit in it and put it back and....notice it didn't rock?"

"No--not really.  Merle just sat it in and said he wanted it."

"Oh."

 "You said you needed a new recliner.  You wanna buy one from us?"

"Ah--no."

"Why not.  You buy one and we will bring it down to your house and then we will only have to haul one back."

"Well.....In the first place--it is not my color.  In the second place--it is too small for me.  I like a Big Man's recliner.  These are too short for me.  When I lay it back, my feet and ankles hang off  the foot rest and the top part of my head isn't supported by the back.  Besides, I like a chaise recliner so my legs are supported and I like a rocker recliner."

"Oh."

I didn't bother to tell her that at $250.00 for a recliner, it isn't going to hold up for more than a couple of years.  

So--I don't know what she is going to do, but I can surmise that she will be complaining every time I see her and blaming Merle for the chairs.  LOL

8 comments:

  1. I don't blame you about FB after seeing some of the negative comments, Judy. I hate seeing that on others also. And, the arguing that some do. I also have a friend that constantly posts about politics; she doesn't do anything but link to the news article. My feeling is if I want to read the "news" I can find it and read without someone posting all those different articles. Not all that she does is about politics but most of it is. I don't comment because my friends (like yours) are of a different "pervasion" for lack of a different word, and I simply don't want to take sides on FB. :)

    I have a recliner that I bought from an old neighbor about 2003 for $20.00 and I probably couldn't find a new that I would like more. LOL
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous picture of trees. They are really beautiful this year compared to last year, I think.

    The story about the musical chairs is too funny.

    City people just don't get us and in the end we're the smarter ones, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of the road that goes by "your" cemetery is beautiful. Our trees are turning, too, but I'm sure they aren't as far along as yours.

    I enjoy your stories about your neighbors and your park, and I never get the impression that you don't like your park. I also think that you find humor in the things that don't go just right. I've written things that were meant to be funny, but were taken seriously, so I get what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my country home
    I take trash off twice a week, electricity goes off with almost every storm
    and when it snow and icy - the ice is dangerous and when snow covers my
    gravel drive cannot see it and sometimes cannot get out.
    So you have a lot of perks
    but I like living in such a peaceful place.
    Neighbors at this time all I have been close to have died
    new ones - I go and introduce myself but everyone at
    this time seems to stay to themselves.
    Facebook - I only go on once a week to see family pictures
    and then deactivate.
    Our lives same in someways and different in others.
    Take care
    one day at a time.
    I think I may lose my little Callie :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't funny how you can write something and think you've written it clear as a bell and someone will come along and take it entirely differently than you intended. Some people just see the negative in everything or they are looking for places to pick a fight. Some of your FB friends may not realize you're perfectly capable of complaining to park management when YOU think you have a reason and they think they are "helping the little old lady with her 'problem.'" I've lived in the city my entire life, by the way, and I've never complained about anything. It's not a city vs. country way of doing things.

    I can't believe Pearl would buy a chair without sitting in and trying everything out! When I bought a new computer chair a month or two ago, I sat in every one in the store and some of them 3 or 4 times. I put a throw cover over my la-a-boy and it looks as good as the day it was bought 10 years ago. If I'm having company, I'll take the throw cover off. They even make a slip cover that fits them great and for awhile I used one just to change the colors up in the room up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am an observer on Facebook, I rarely post anything for just the reasons you mention, plus if I want someone knowing my business, I'll tell them personally (or on my private blog). People can get so ugly on social media!

    The chair story is so typical of those two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I convinced social media will be the decline of civilization - half kidding. It's just so much easier for people to say mean and hurtful things that they'd never say in person!! I don't ever feel like you are judging or don't like your home location. I think you just observe the crazy things people do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Facebook can be pretty irritating some time. I love that first picture. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete