title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, October 27, 2014

I Just Don't Know



Very, very warm today--mid 70's--we are having our Indian Summer.

I have been spending many hours working on my How-To manual.  I am trying to format it right now and get it into some semblance of order so I can make corrections, additions, add images, that sort of thing.  I could get more done if the woman kitty-corner across the street would leave me alone!  Meaning Dar!

I just don't know what is going on with Dar.  She has been over here every day since Thursday, sometimes, twice a day!  This morning I saw her coming this way, so I scooted to the back bedroom and laundry room and when she knocked, I just ignored her.  That wasn't very nice, but I have to tell you, that woman is wearing me out.

She cares not one whit what I am doing, when she comes over--yesterday I was watching a great Turner Classic Movie and she looked at the TV, said, "Oh, are you watching a movie?" and when I said, "Yes", she just plopped down in the rocking chair and started in on her dissertation of the last day.

She left just as the (muted) movie was ending.  THEN--she was back last night at 8:00 to tell me that she had to get blood work this morning and her sister was taking her to the eye doctor.

I .  Do.  Not.  Care.

She returned this afternoon at 2:00 to tell me that she didn't get her blood work done and she didn't go to her eye appointment, but that she did buy a new coffee table and two end tables.  Then she went on and on about how the District Manager at Meijer's thinks she's so great that they want to make her a store manager. 
<I quite forgot to remind her she was being boastful, like she has asked me to do--she didn't shut up long enough for me to say anything!>

Then she kept telling me she could hear something beeping in the back of the house.

"There it goes again.  Beep-Beep...then a second and Beep-Beep."

I went back, nothing making any noise back there.

"Can't you hear that?"

"No.  I have Tinnitus and all I hear is the ringing in my ears."

"Oh--I forgot and your hard of hearing too--that's probably why you can't hear it.  It is really annoying."

"The next time you hear it, run back to the bedroom and see if you can figure it out," I said.

"There it goes again." and she leaped up and trotted to the back of the house.  "I don't hear it now.  It must have stopped."

"Are you sure it isn't your cell phone?"

"Oh know.  It would ring...and I recognize my ring...it just a funny sound.  There it is again."

"Check your phone."

So, she did.  She had it set on something where it beeped if she had a voice mail.

"Oh...I guess you aren't deaf after all."
<no, but I have a real low tolerance for stupid people and...I'd like to just slap the nonsense right outta your head!>

She finally wound down around 3:30 and left, but was back again at 5:00.

"I am taking you out for dinner.  I won't take 'no' for an answer.  Get in my car."

"I'm really tired Dar......"

"You have to eat.  I'm buying.  GET IN THE CAR!" and out the door she went.

She wanted to take me to Outback and I said, "No.  I'm not that hungry.  I want to go to the new burger place."

So, that is where we went.

It wasn't too bad an hour.  She actually asked ME some questions and listened to my answers!  We actually had a conversation!  Amazing.

Then, when we got in the car she said, "I've been wanting to take you out for dinner to thank you."

"For what?"

"For saving my life two years ago."

"You remember how out of control, mentally, I was.  Remember when you took me to the ER for my toe and I went out of my mind for awhile?"

"Yes...you were a bit looney that day."

"Well, you have no idea how looney I really was.  Judy, I was on the edge of suicide for many months.  I'd get so scared, like I couldn't breathe, like the ceiling was coming down on my head, the walls were coming closer and closer, like my head and heart were going to explode... and I'd run from the house...run over to your place and you'd just let me talk it all out.  You saved me!"

"Sounds like an ordinary panic attack, but...I'm, glad I could help."

"Yes you did, but I want to apologize."

"For what?"

"Fred had just died.  I am sure you were struggling and yet...you seemed so peaceful and calm and...you let me dump all my craziness on top of you and all you were going through."
< like I had a choice when she'd come busting into my house?>

"I have to admit...there were times, when you left, I was shaking and exhausted and had to take an Ativan because my heart was racing and my insides shaking."

"See!  That's what I mean...and yet...you never said a word.  You just listened.  You really did...save my life."

"Well...I sure am glad you are better(?) now.  I think your job has really helped you."

"I work so many hours and days now...I don't have time to worry or even think about my crazy life."

Then she went on to tell me about her meeting with the store manager....and truthfully, I quit listening because I was really getting tired of her continual chatter.

I think her other friends here in the park, are a bit tired of her as she never says anything about going out with them, or playing Scrabble.  She may be on a mission to make me her new BF and...that is NOT going to happen.

She talks so fast and so much and jumps from topic to topic that she just wears me out!!!  Her next day off is Wednesday and thank goodness---my sister and I have plans for that day!!
======================
I walked up to Pearl's yesterday morning to tell her of Shawn's visit--they both liked him so much too.  I figured Merle would be at work, but he wasn't  After we had talked for about 45 minutes, I got up to leave and Pearl said, "We have two baby squirrels out in our bird house."

"You're kidding.  I love squirrels."

Merle said, "C'Mon, I'll show you."

I felt a bit uncomfortable, but we were just outside the windows and Pearl was watching from inside, so I wasn't too nervous.  Merle tapped the bird house with a stick, but squirrels were gone.

So I walked around the house to come on home and he followed behind.

"Don just cleaned up all your leaves, but I noticed you had a whole lawn full again."

"Yup.  I'm thinking of raking up some myself.  I think I can do it...if my back doesn't give out"

"Be good for ya," he said.  "Build up your chest."

GEEZ LOUISE!!!

Reminds me of old men in the nursing home who always want to flirt with the staff.  Grosses me out!!!



6 comments:

  1. Wow, what strange encounters with neighbors you're having lately! Dar would wear me out, too. If nothing else, the coming winter might keep her home more. If she gets too much, keep your storm door locked and just talk through the screen at the top while she stands on the porch. I had to do that to a neighborhood pest and it worked. I'd talk long enough to be sure it wasn't life or death then say I was involved in something that I had to get back to. If she asked to come in and I wasn't in the mood I'd say the same thing. If you start by not letting her in every 4th or 5th time, you're training her to start thinking of your needs and not just her own. I'm really shocked a store as large as Meijer would consider having someone with her personality as a manager! She must act different at work.

    Merle: I would have told him my chest is none of his business. Well, at least I would have thought that like you probably did but I probably wouldn't have said it out loud. LOL It's really sad, actually, because they've always been good friends for you and I'd hate to see that old age missing filter in his brain come between that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really seems more like Dar is bi-polar or manic, at least. I wonder if she realizes how much better she could be on some MEDICATION! And that it would be much easier on her "friends" too! Well, you are a patient and kind person, and we all feel that way about people sometimes - especially when extroverts are around introverts. It wears me out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading about Dar wears me out. I agree with Wife, wonder if she's a bit on the manic end of a bipolar swing?

    I think you might need to make some pointed comments to Merle when he says things like that, so he knows they're not appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, as someone who is bipolar/manic depressive, it does sound like Dar is quite manic which I'm sure everyone knows. The highs and lows (as she alluded to have been suicidal) are certainly conducive to the illness. The one thing that I, personally, have never EVER considered was suicide. As you know, each person who has this illness suffers differently. I also think if she could get the right dr and be completely honest, perhaps he would put her on medication that would help. Okay - I didn't mean to write you a book. But, I understand how you feel; she definitely would wear anyone out.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merle needs to get a grip. I'm sure it makes you uncomfortable. What is it that makes old men thing they still have a chance? :)

    Dar. Oh, my. She just can't stop, can she? I'm shocked that they want her to be a manager. That just doesn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I guess everywhere has some folks who are just one sandwich short of a picnic!! Even when I put up at note asking people NOT TO KNOCK (when we had baby Deacon here) and put my phone number up and asked people to text or call me to see if I was available. They still knock!

    ReplyDelete