title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, October 3, 2014

It Is What It Is...And That's Okay

Awake again this morning at 7:00am to get ready for the Comcast service guy to come between 8:00-9:00am.  He was here at 8:10, which I thought was great.  He checked the modem, then went outside to check the lines.  Soon was back in:

"I found the problem."

"Great.  What?"

"There is no problem ON our line, but there is a problem WITH our line.  Some critter chewed the part laying on the ground, nearly in half!  I spliced the two pieces together and put it up under your house where they can't get at it again."

 He was gone by 8:30am.
============================
It was a gorgeous morning at 7:00am, I rarely see the sunrise.  The sky was all pink.  Even the "air" outside looked pink.  By 7:30, we were in the midst of a downpour that was so heavy, it looked white.

I had three phone calls by 10:00am.  Glad the phone works, but tired of talking, LOL.

I decided to go get groceries after my Soap.  I checked my bank account and my Social Security was in there---the full amount!!!  I need to send my case worker a thank you note!

Off to the Meijer store in Howell.  I just kind of strolled around the store--letting all the Momma's rush by.  I don't know where all the kids came from, but it was a noisy, yelling, at times shrieking mess.

When I came out and was pushing my cart to my car, I saw a penny laying on the pavement.  Of course I bent over to get it--then I saw another one...and another...and another.  All were "head's up".  As I was picking up my booty, a young 20-something guy walked by and I saw his condescending smile.

"Look at that old lady, overjoyed at finding a penny on the wet pavement", is what I supposed he was thinking.

I thought of a lot of things to say to him, but said none and proceeded on.  The wet pennies resting nice and warm in my jeans pocket.

I got to my car, popped the trunk and looked down and...another penny--this too head's up.  "In God We Trust" facing me.

A sign?  

When my best friend was dying of cancer, every time she saw a penny with those words facing up at her, she figured God had sent her a sign and she picked them up.  At her funeral, tucked in her right hand was a little white satin bag with all the pennies she had found inside.  They had given her so much hope and courage.

I put my groceries in the trunk, sat in the car and enjoyed my treat--a Raspberry filled Bismarck and thought---

I am so glad that I am poor!  This has been a really good life and spiritual experience for me.  

Of course, it is embarrassing and humbling to ask for help—those agencies that help want to know everything about you—right down to the size of your underwear, (not really, but it sometimes feels that way).   

I didn’t want anyone to know.  The first time I went to the Food Bank, I peeked inside—just in case I knew someone in there and if I did, I wouldn’t go in.  

After awhile, desperation sent me for help and it is amazing!  What I have learned, the stories I have heard in line at the Food Bank, the many poor people and how, they just seem to continue forward.  

Remember the old, “Walk a mile in my moccasins” saying?  Well, it is very true.  You have NO concept—you can’t even imagine what poor people go through—unless you’ve been there. 

I know I didn’t.  I sat there in my nice big house and looked down on and thought anyone on Welfare was lazy and defrauding the government—and of course some are, but most aren’t.  

It takes away ALL your pride—and in the long run, that is a GOOD thing.  I appreciate every little thing so much more.  Someone gives me a beautiful red, ripe tomato from their garden, and I am thrilled!  A neighbor shares their pie or brings me cookies and I giggle with happiness.  I wanted a nice fall plant, but knew I couldn't afford it and then, a visitor comes and brings me the biggest, most beautiful Mum plant I've ever seen and my heart swells to overflowing.  

I actually am much happier now than I ever was when I had it all and took everything for granted.  

I don't have to worry about how to pay my charge card--because I no longer have any.

I don't worry one bit if my retirement account/stocks/value of my house are dropping.

I guess, the less I have...the less I have to worry about?

I am witness to the FACT that God takes care of me and keeps me moving forward.  I always said that to others, but I don't know if I really believed it.  Now--I know that I know that I know!

I may be poor money-wise, but I am rich in my spirit!!     

Philippians 4:12  “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”  St. Paul 

This has been a difficult week in many ways, but I have found myself feeling very peaceful and content.  
=========================
Continued rain and chilly weather for the next few days.  I think it is a good weekend just to hunker down--cross stitch, read, watch a DVD, enjoy football games on TV and continue, writing a book of house maintenance tips for my friend.

Life is soooooo good!!

I remembered this, after I posted--I like to sit in the dark in the living room and I noticed this.  I like how the kitchen light shines through the jewel tones of my collected glassware.
without flash

with flash 

9 comments:

  1. What an uplifting post! I take it the bankruptcy went through and you can breathe easier now?

    That young guy in the parking lot wasn't smiling for the reason you thought. He was admiring your ass but then saw how old you are and he was smiling at his mistake in admiring what he thought belonged to a younger woman.

    This is eerie. When I go to Mejier on my weekly shopping trip I come home with the same treat from their bakery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard nothing about the bankruptcy--I'm not sending the card companies money and they aren't calling me, so I quit thinking about it.

      Nah--the guy was coming AT me, he wasn't behind me, LOL Besides that, I have no ass--never have--flat as can be :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice post, Judy. I'm so glad you are finding peace and contentment now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling myself that Nettie--what else can I do? Until the next big crisis occurs, LOL.

      Delete
  3. I love those jewel tones also; so pretty! We've been getting quite a bit of rain also, but not near as much as you. I thought for sure the high school (near us) game would have been cancelled last night due to rain. But, then I heard the BAND! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring! Ordinary people who manage extraordinary challenges. Not only survive ... but THRIVE. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy I give up on posting on your blog. Every time I write a comment, by the time I am ready to post it - it has disappeared. Even now this isn't the Google account I use for this. From now on - I will send an email!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You adapt well to changes, probably because you've had so many changes occur during your life. You have real strength!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so inspiring, Judy. Really beautiful. It should be published so people could understand what they don't know... can't know unless they're in your shoes.

    ReplyDelete