title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, May 30, 2014

Sorta Freaky Friday

Today's high temperature was: 78
Humidity: 27%
Sunny with a nice breeze.
No air conditioner needed today
==========================

Now I remember!!!  It was Jan at "Stand and Stare" that read the "The Age Of Miracles" book.  She said for 36 hours she read while she cooked, ate and ignored her hubby.  Yeah--it was that kind of book.  I tried to draw it out, so I would only allow myself to read a couple of hours each night.  I finished it last night.

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

“It still amazes me how little we really knew. . . . Maybe everything that happened to me and my family had nothing at all to do with the slowing. It’s possible, I guess. But I doubt it. I doubt it very much.”

On a seemingly ordinary Saturday in a California suburb, Julia and her family awake to discover, along with the rest of the world, that the rotation of the earth has suddenly begun to slow. The days and nights grow longer and longer, gravity is affected, the environment is thrown into disarray. Yet as she struggles to navigate an ever-shifting landscape, Julia is also coping with the normal disasters of everyday life—the fissures in her parents’ marriage, the loss of old friends, the hopeful anguish of first love, the bizarre behavior of her grandfather who, convinced of a government conspiracy, spends his days obsessively cataloging his possessions. As Julia adjusts to the new normal, the slowing inexorably continues.
============================

Even though I saw my flip-chart say it was Friday today--all day it felt like Saturday.  I have so many things coming up and I am afraid I am going to miss them, I guess.  Tomorrow afternoon, Madeleine's last ballet recital--there will be tears.  I still see her as that little 3 year old just starting ballet. <sigh>  Sunday is Baccalaureate.  

I looked outside early this morning and Darlene was walking down the street in, what I thought was a nightgown.  She went into Jackie's house and came out later--looked over here and must have thought I was still asleep, because she didn't come over.

Later this afternoon, 3:00, she came over and said, "I was at Jackie's this morning to show her the dress I am wearing to my nephew's wedding.  I came over, but I think you were asleep as your door was still locked."

I have no idea why she lied.  She never came over here.  My door was not locked, in fact it was open to catch the early morning cool breeze.

I didn't confront her.

"You should see my dress!"

"Did you get it where you work?"

"Oh-Heavens no!  I went to a high end store and tried on...like..twenty dresses.  It is a size 10 and fits me to a T."

<she weighs 198 pounds.  She is quite fleshy.  How could she fit into a size 10?>

"Well--tell me,  What's it like?"  <I had already seen it.>

"It's like a tank top with a V neckline.  White on the top, red from the bust to the hip and then a floor length skirt of black.  It sort of flows when I walk."

"Wow!  A floor length?  Is this a fancy wedding?"

"No.  It's being held outside, as is the reception."

"You will look like the Mother-Of-The-Bride."

"HA!  I will look better than the mother of the bride AND the mother of the groom.  Everyone else is wearing a street length dress.  No one is wearing a floor length gown except me!"
<oh Lordy>
=============================
Today, the Fed Ex truck delivered the long handled dandelion weeder thingie I ordered for Pearl and I to share.  I grabbed the box and went right up to their place, the minute Dar left.  Merle opened up the long box and tipped it up and...out fell TWO!!!  Exactly alike!  Now--Pearl and I can use them at the same time and along with my long handled trowel--we are going to be able to weed her little front garden.  We are going to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday, as it is suppose to rain Monday.

I got home and went on-line and notified the seller on Amazon.com that I had received two and had only ordered and paid for one.  I got an e-mail response from them later and the seller wrote that "because you ordered the long handled trowel AND the long handled dandelion weeder both from us, we sent you the other weeder as a bonus."

Well now--isn't that the nicest thing?
========================
Weird experience this evening.

My friend Mary, who lived behind me, moved to an apartment.  She sold her place to the parents of the Yippy dog, who lived just across the street.  A guy moved into their place.  He walks by here with his old Cocker Spaniel a couple of times a day.  We have waved.

This evening, I was out watering and saw him and walked out to the street to pet the dog.  

He introduced himself and I told him my name and then.....I learned more about this guy in 15 minutes than I learned about Fred in a week!!!  This guy talked fast and a lot.

His name is John.
His grandfather came from Italy, to British Columbia, Canada to keep from fighting in WWI.
His father came to Munising, Michigan. (In the U.P.)
He is one of 13 children.
In the middle of 13 children.
When he got out of the Marine Corp, he settled in Howell, in 1967.
He loved it in the Marine's because he had his own bed to sleep in and didn't have to share a bed with his two older brothers.
He was married for 17 years and had 4 children and then, she left him.
He got married again and was married for 23 years and then she left him.
He has 10 grandchildren.  
5 are in college--he named them, the college they attend, their majors and the year they are in.
The dog's name is Maizie.
She is 13 years old and has arthritis.
She is a Cocker and Poodle mix and that is why her coat is so thick.
He just turned 70 and works out daily.
Three times a week, from 2:00 until 5:00, he volunteers at the neighborhood elementary school.
Saturday, he and his oldest grandson are driving up to Munising to visit family.

It was like I was hearing a dating site profile, instead of reading one!!!

Think this guy is lonely and just wants someone to listen?

I will keep a look out and stay inside the next time I see him coming down the street.

Now--if he were taller than 5'7"--well............................maybe, but...size does matter.  LOL





7 comments:

  1. Won't give the short guys a chance? LOL Aren't there a lot of people of Italian ancestry up around Munising? My family tree has some roots around there.

    Pearl better hope the grass isn't wet from a recent rain at the outdoor wedding. I would feel silly with a long gown, knowing everyone else is doing street length.

    I love Amazon! I'm not surprised they gave you a freebie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice you and Pearl each have a new garden tool. I think you got two because you were nicely making the purchase of one to share. A little gift for your kindness.

    Dar's dress sounds a bit out of place, although the long dresses are really back in. I notice many employees at work are wearing them again. I like the look....not nice to want to outshine the bridal party, though!! What a character.

    Once upon a time, I shared a handful of years with a wonderful younger man!!! Just sayin'

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that Dar! hahaha I'd love to see her at the wedding.

    About the book:
    "the bizarre behavior of her grandfather"
    Sounds like he's right on the money these day UGH!!

    The recital is going to be so bitter sweet. I know I'd cry.

    And the new guy in the 'hood - NO stay away from short men - they have that mentality. Another UGH! :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that book and thought it was pretty good! Your new neighbor sounds like a friendly guy!!+

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Judy you are too funny! You sure seem to attract the talkers! Thats great that you received 2 garden tools! They are a nice site to work with! Enjoy your day Judy! Rainy here again today but beautiful and green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should avoid the short guy too. My experience with short guys is they have a chip on their shoulder and they take it out on you. On the other hand, there is no harm in having another friend, short or not, and surely he wouldn't be as irritating as Dar?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never wear a long dress to an outdoor wedding, but Dar marches to a different drummer, that's for sure. Remember that song from the sixties, Short People.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

    ReplyDelete