title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, May 5, 2014

Mundane Monday

Today's high temperature was:  56 degrees
Not a bit of sun!!!
============================
I called Pearl and asked if she wanted to run across the road and go to the garden center with me.  She has already purchased all her annuals, at Wal-Mart, but she said she'd like to go to see what they had.

She got in the car.  "What are you buying today?"

"Nothing really--too early, but I did want to look at their succulents and see what I could put in the big coffee cup container I have."

"You mean Cactus?"

"No. Succulents."

"Same thing."

"Well...not really."

"Don't correct me.  Just let it go.  Cactus and Succulents are both the same."
<okay, then.>

I was disappointed.  I wanted this:


but they didn't have any of the colored, small Kalanchoes, so...I got this and planted them:



 There is a bit of pinkish coloration to two of them, which should be okay with my bright pink, dark blue/purple, chartreuse color scheme this year, but still.............pout.  I wanted the bright pink ones!

It is weird to me.  I used to have Hens and Chickens in my rock garden.  They wintered over real well and came up the next year.  I thought I might have to take in the Succulents during the winter (I did last winter and they all died), but these are good up to Zone 4 and can be wintered in a garage or shed--just so they don't get too wet.  I am in Zone 6, so this winter, I am going to wrap the planter in some burlap and put in my shed and see what happens.  Succulents have always been a normal plant in my garden--I didn't think a thing about them, but it seems nowadays--these little devils are expensive AND--you couldn't buy a regular, run of the mill Hens and Chickens if you wanted too, LOL.

Pearl ended up buying more geraniums, some Ranunculus and some Cosmos.  She has these in her enclosed front porch.  A good place to "harden" off the annuals.

When I got home, I took some pix of my Woodland Childhood Remembrance area.


Lots of the May Apples are up and have spread
A couple Trillium over by the tree

A white Violet

A purple Violet 

Some, what we always call, May Flowers 
All of these should be in full bloom by now, but....this cold spring we are having has slowed everything down.  I still don't have one yellow blossom on my Forsythia.

My small garden in the front is doing well.  The Daffodils are starting to fade, but the Tulips have come on, along with the Grape Hyacinth, and I see the Iris and Lilies are coming up.

I haven't seen a sign of all the Hosta's I transplanted last year.

It is just taking so darn long!!
==================
The very nicest thing happened yesterday.  Pammie called.  She has been making crocheted lap robes for the homeless shelters in the Detroit area--she has quite a stash.

<I used that rocker to rock all my babies>

She has found that she her love of crocheting has come back.  Jennifer is working pro-bono for a group that helps the homeless, so she takes these in when Pammie gets a stash.

Anyway--Pammie asked me I would like for her to come down next Sunday and go to church with me on Mother's Day.  I was just speechless.  I have been pondering about this since March.  Thought how nice it would be for all my girls to attend with me, but realizing that Jen probably wouldn't and Karen would want to go to her own church with her children and thought--it is quite a drive for Pammie to come down here.  

BUT--she is and I am thrilled beyond words.  I know that she will probably wear one of her new skirts, so I have to dig in the back of my closet and find a dress that still fits to wear.  Last year, she came down for lunch with Karen and me.  Maybe she and Karen will get together and think to do that again, which would be fantastic, but if not--Pammie and I can stop after church and get lunch.  Whatever--I am just so happy!!!




12 comments:

  1. That's so great that you and Pam will be together on Mother's Day.

    Your flowers are looking so pretty!

    I spent the entire afternoon mowing, but like an idiot I should have gone out there in the morning. duh!

    Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to get a few flowers for here.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firs the first time in years, my Hens and Chickens didn't make it through the winter. :( I just bought some succulents to put along my sidewalk to go along with moss roses. Your coffee cup is great!

    I'm so happy for you that you have nice plans for Mother's Day---sweet! I can't believe how many lap robes she's made! I am almost done with my very first hat. I can see how crocheting could get addicting. Though I have to learn to relax my hands more because it hurts my thumb after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy I'm so happy that you will see Pammie on Mother's Day. I can't believe it's already here. It seems like Christmas was yesterday.\

    Love your succulents. They're beautiful. I only ever had the cats and kittens like you. Your spring garden with the daffodils and tulips is so pretty and your childhood garden is really something. It's so special. I hope you get some serious spring weather soon. It's in the eighties here in Myrtle Beach, but it was cold as can be when we left home yesterday and raining.
    My aunt used to make lap rugs for veterans. Pammie is a sweet woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the succulent gardens, too and especially your coffee cup. I find my grocery store always has a lot for colorful kalanchoe's in their little plant department.
    So nice to see Pammie's collection of blankets and such a thoughtful thing to do. And, doubly nice that she is coming down to be with you on Mother's Day. I know you will have a great time.
    We have the same coldness here and gardens are very slow. I noticed that the rabbits ate the newly emerged hostas. Not happy. They also got the tulips. So cute but they do a lot of garden damage. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds as if it is going to be a wonderful Mother's Day :)

    I used to have hens & chicks where I lived ...they'd been transplanted from my grandmother's garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing the happy dance for you.
    I put some herbs in my big coffee cup....they will probably overflow in there. I had to plant something that the J. Beetles don't like. Last year they demolished the moss roses. Now I find that I planted my new geranium in the wrong place. It's a Martha Washington one and needs more shade than the zonal ones. I put it in the center of my big pot in the front....in full sun. Guess I 'll have to move it.
    Have a nice day,
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to comment on Pammie's blankets, What a nice thing to do....and so many different ones. They will be thrilled to get one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're spending Mother's Day with Pam. She's so sweet to make all those lap blankets too!

    All your flowers and plantings look so pretty, you have a way with that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gardens looking good. I need to find one of those large tea cup planters. I think I saw them at WalMart last year! Enjoy your time with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope the weekend is lovely - and enjoy your Pammie! Thinking of you and sending you a cyber-hug!

    ReplyDelete