title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Catching Up

Today's high temperature was: 65
Breezy, cool, but sunny
============================

Last night it was 82 degrees in here and I turned on the A/C for an hour before I went to bed.  Left the bedroom window open and woke up this morning freezing!!
=================
Yesterday, I got my hair cut.  I went grocery shopping.  I have baking ingredients I need for making Mississippi Mud Brownies for Maddie's open house.  I ALWAYS make them for the kids open house.  Karen's friends ALWAYS look for them.  So...........hope I remember how, LOL.


Why are my eyes always red around them?
My lids are getting droopy.
My right eye (your left) is starting to look like a lazy eye--
must be that lid droops more than the other?
I'd like to use make-up to look a bit better, but for some reason,
I seem to be allergic to shadow, mascara and concealer
even though I have non-allergenic types.
I am really showing my age!!

I found some pictures of me going to a couple of Proms.

My Grandma got me this dress.  
She was shopping one day, saw it and called
my mother to ask if she could get it for me.
It was the loveliest shade of blue!

Really quite beautiful--satin and net

Note the cow in the left background, LOL
Country hick?
Moi?


 My Senior Prom formal.
It was the palest of blue-all very soft nylon.
The bands above and under the bodice
were silver.  It had a soft nylon strap across my
right shoulder.
It was Grecian style.
Did any of you wear the elbow length white gloves?
I think I thought I was Grace Kelly.

In those days, we had what we called the Junior and Senior Banquet and Prom.  It was held in our decorated gymnasium  The Sophomore class served us at the banquet--food prepared by our school cafeteria cooks.  Of course, with only 30-40 kids in each class, and a lot of us dating each other, it wasn't a very large group.  

My girls played dress-up with my formals and what is really neat, Maddie has both these formals in her dress-up box and her friends come up to me and tell me that the soft blue one (pictured above) was always their favorite to wear.  
=======================
I remember the day, August 21, 2009.  Maddie was starting public school for the first time.  She was going into 8th grade (age 12) and decided she wanted to play in the band.  The director had told her they needed a French Horn player and she asked if she could borrow mine.

Thrilled?  Who me?

Music was the most important thing in my life, in school.  I had taken piano lessons, until my right index finger got cut off.  I had to quit and boy, was I glad!  I hated it.  Then when I was ten, in fifth grade, I started band.  The director took each of us kids, checked our "bite" and told me I should play the Mellophone--like a French Horn, but the bell goes off to the left and you finger with your right hand.

In 7th grade, I got to play in the High School band because they needed another French Horn player!!!  The "key" was different.  The fingering was different, the bell pointed to my right--I was hooked for life!!

In the 9th grade, my cousin graduated and asked if I wanted to buy her French Horn.  It was a true brass horn.  A Holton, made in Elkhorn, WI.  A really good quality--like they used to make back then.  I saved my allowances and did work for my Grandma and neighbor and got the required fifty dollars by the end of the summer.



I was told that a French Horn is one of the most difficult instruments to play.  Each of the three keys, one key or the other pressed down,  is used for several tones. If you press down the first key, you can play a D or F or B flat.  Most of the changes in the notes is done with your embouchure--how much you tighten or relax your lips.  I have been told by quite a few guys that I am a good kisser.  I credit all my years playing the Horn, LOL.

I played that Horn all through high school.  I played it at Michigan State--got to play in the orchestra--our high school band played mostly marches and overtures.  I practiced and played so much, my two bottom teeth became loose.  It was my life!!

When I graduated and my sister started fifth grade--she played it, but she didn't love it like I did.

Pammie played it in high school--but she didn't love it like I did.

I played it in the late 60's, when I went to Mott Junior College.  I played it in the 70's with the Flint Symphony Orchestra.  I played it in the 80's in a Community Band.  I played it in the 90's when I lived in Saginaw.

None of Karen's kids had been in the band.  And now--Maddie wanted to borrow my Horn!!!

You can tell by the dark gold color that is it solid brass.


It wasn't long and we were attending her first concert.


She looked quite a bit like I did, at that same age.
It brought back memories and tears to my eyes.
 See that little Asian boy off to her left.
That is Brian Tang.



She took private lessons and progressed.  All of a sudden, she was chosen to be in the second best band in high school AND marching band.  She was given a "better" double French Horn by the school  She was better than her Gramma ever was!!
 Then, her Sophomore year, she auditioned and was picked to play in the school's "best" band.
The Wind Ensemble...and there's Brian behind her--he plays 1st chair.  She could, but she refused to challenge him :-)  Noah, Drew, Maddie and Brian

Her last concert--Tuesday night.
Sorry the picture is fuzzy.

and Gramma had tears in her eyes once again, as Maddie
played the last notes of her life, on her school owned French Horn. 
You can see by the pictures that the double French Horns the bands use nowadays are all pretty and shiny.  They aren't completely brass.  They might be pretty, but I have had a professional Horn player tell me, "There is no truer Horn sound than what we get on the old, solid brass Horns," which is what he still plays.  A new double, solid brass French Horn would now cost well into the $5K range!!!

H292

I've never played a double Horn.  It also has a thumb valve, to make reaching the very high and the very low notes, easier.  

So--this old gal (Horn) is over sixty years old.  She has been dropped and dented.  Just like her owner.  She has had her dents removed and been restored and then dented again in a school bus accident.  She has had many times, the cork under her valves replaced, restrung with cat gut, oiled and adjusted.  She still has a beautiful tone, but her owner can't play her very well anymore.

I want to give her the honor and respect she deserves--and that is not being stored in her case in my bedroom closet!  I am trying to find someone who can make her useful once again.

This has been a project of mine for the last 2 1/2 years.  I am still looking for someone to make her a lamp.  It seems easy to me--solder a brass tube on the back for the lamp wiring to go through, put it on a base and --------there she is.  

and...if I can get this done before I die, perhaps my sister or Pammie or even Madeleine might like to put her in their home.  

<but--none of them ever loved her like I do>

10 comments:

  1. I played clarinet all through school. I was the only one in our band in high school that never had formal training. What I learned, I learned from our band director during music classes. I loved when we marched in the local parades as well as those far away. I hated playing in basketball band though. I know you love basketball but I grew to hate it all because of having to play at the JV games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To have passed this love on to one of your own grandchildren is amazing! I hope Maddie continues playing, and now that she doesn't have access to the double French horn the school owns, she will find one.

    Playing music on an instrument is so fulfilling when we love the instrument and find it magic to play. I began playing the piano at age 5, and love, love, love playing. For more than two decades I lived without a piano to play, until my husband bought me a grand piano for our tenth anniversary. I've never warmed up to electronic keyboards. I am so shy about playing when people are around. Hitting all the right notes is incredibly hard. But I love immersing myself in the wonderful compositions Beethoven and Bach left us, and now that my shoulder's repaired I can play again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you buy figurine lamp kit and base here http://www.profhdwr.com/08812L.htm and then find a different way other than soldering to attach the horn? Maybe a discreet brass wire? Then you could make the lamp yourself. One time I bought a cheap, breakable lamp at the Salvation Army, broke the glass vase-like part off and used the guts to make a lamp.

    I wish I had as many happy memories of high school as you do. You were blessed with that and your musical talent. I tried various horns but just didn't have the talent or the real interest. Love your formals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you have such great memories, Judy. To have a love like that must have been wonderful. And, I sure hope you find someone to make a lamp. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. You look so beautiful in the prom dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Sally. You do look so beautiful. One thing about going without make up - I like to think our skin is healthier because we've not been sloshing goodness knows what on.

    An idea - If the price isn't too dear, eyeglass frames can be fun, flashy and flattering, a substitute for make up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those dresses are just beautiful, and you're beautiful in them! It's very cool that Maddie and her friends have enjoyed playing with them.

    Also cool that Maddie followed your lead with the French Horn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so gorgeous - then and now! Lovely lady.
    Now, my dad has made lamps out of several instruments for my sister and her family - If we can figure out how to get the horn to him - he can do it! And not very expensive either! Email me - he's in michigan from time to time on business.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy,
    You are so beautiful in your prom gowns. They are a bit more revealing than Maddie's dress. :) How sweet that she and her friends played dress up with your dresses. It's wonderful that you passed your talent to her. You never know where it will show up in each generation, but what I like most about Maddie is her heart. You reveal it when you write about her. Karen has raised a special woman and I know your presence in her life has made an impact.

    Okay, now... you cannot tell us that you lost part of a finger and not tell us how it happened. I know there's a story there.

    I would think about getting a stand and displaying your horn on it - as is. Or you could wire it yourself and make it into a lamp. It's easy to make a lamp. I used to do it when I was involved with ceramics and such. I know you can do it. You do tons of stuff I've never done.

    ReplyDelete