title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Timeless Tuesday

Today's high temperature was: 77 degrees
Rain and cloudy in the a.m,.
Sunny and nice in the afternoon
==========================
Not too much going on today.  I did get in the car and run up to Discount Tire to get my tires aired up.  The front two were down a bit.

Laundered my bedding.  Went outside and cut off the seed pods on my daffodils and tulips.  DO NOT cut back the leaves until after they have turned yellow.  The bulb gets its next year's power from the leaves.  You have to leave them on for the strength of the bulb to go back down into it.  If you cut back the leaves, you will have no bloom next year.  I sometimes braid the leaves together to let them die back--the garden looks neater that way.

I did a walk around and it looks like the harsh winter killed my privet hedge

There is a bit of green on the bottom branches--I will let them
grow all summer and see what next spring brings

My Woodland Childhood Remembrance garden is doing really well.
Jack In The Pulpit is still preaching.
I reached down and gave him a "squeak" 

The Trilliums are turning pink as they die back 


The May Apples are huge this year, really tall...

Their apples have arrived, and....


their waxy white "apple" blossom are starting to bloom


Some perennials are truly timeless.  I had Peony's that belonged to my Great Grandmas.  They still live on at Pammies--they are now over 90 years old.  I have part of my Mother's hybrid peach colored Iris--it is now 46 years old and each of my kids and my sister, all have tubers off that main plant, that are growing and thriving.  I suppose a flower garden might last forever, if it were tended and weeds didn't come to choke out the plants. 

Maddie's last band concert tonight.  Very emotional.  I'm exhausted.  I will post about it tomorrow. 


6 comments:

  1. Judy, I just love your woodland shade garden. Very beautiful! It is so nice to know you have passed along your favorite plants to other family. We have many like that throughout our family. Where I will be living with Jason and Alison, they have my Nana's peonies, lilacs and many other plants. Most special was seeing the pink lily of the valley last week.
    Look forward to hearing about the concert last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shade plants are true charmers. Time appreciating the flowers is so well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your childhood memory garden brings back memories for me too. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to bend my jonquil leaves over and put a rubber band around them. Now I just let them be because they are in a wooded area behind my house. Your May apple bloom is so pretty.

    I know Maddie has been such a joy to you. What a lovely girl, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your place always looks so pretty. I believe with the green showing on the hedge; it will definitely come back. I'd cut it back now though, but that's just me.

    Anxious to hear about the concert.

    The grasshoppers are still driving me bonkers, and the only thing I've read so far is a product that should be used when they're babies. Well, they grew up while I wasn't looking. Now, I'm almost afraid to buy more.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew anyone else who loved to keep the flowers living, like you having your grandma's peonies, etc. That is what I did in our first 2 houses from my great grandma and grandma's houses. It made me so sad when I had to move to a rental and couldn't keep them, but I know they are there. What lovely blessings you have, and to look forward to Maddie's concert.
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete