title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Saturday

Saturday's high temperature was: 72
An absolutely gorgeous day
=======================
Jackie lives directly across from me.  She sits in her chair and stitches all day.  Every hour, she makes herself get up.  She stood up and looked out her door and saw Pearl coming down the steps and fall, on the cement driveway.

Jackie ran over here yelling, "Judy!!  Pearl just fell."

I grabbed my phone and took off.

Pearl was laying on her back, blood pouring out of the back of her head.  I dialed 911.

Jackie ran into the house and got a towel to hold up against Pearl's head, to stop the bleeding.  Pearl was shocky, shivering and it was sprinkling.  I opened up Merle's truck and got his two jackets out and laid them over her.  Merle was away at the time--up the road at the small hospital ER with a kidney stone!

The EMT's got there pretty quickly, but that was about all they did right.  A guy jumped out of the ambulance and a woman opened up the back and brought out the gurney.

The guy asked Pearl how she fell.  <Who gives a flying flip--take care of her!>

He DID NOT check to see if she had any broken bones--hip--whatever.  He bound some gauze around her head and told Jackie to go in the house to get a wet cloth to wash the blood off Pearl's hand.  <Who cares about the blood on her hand!  Get her to the ER!>

Then--he grabs Pearl under the arms and tells her, "Stand up and walk over to sit on the gurney."

"She can't stand up." I said.  "She has severe arthritis in her knees, she has Neuropathy in her feet and has had two back surgeries.  <plus she weighs 200 pounds>  Can't we put a blanket under her and lift her onto the gurney?"

Meanwhile, the female EMT is standing there.  Oh sure, she has her blue latex gloves on, but other than that...

So, he yanks Pearl up--she screams in pain.  He lowers her onto her knees and then yanks her up and drags her a bit--scraping skin off both her knees.  He tries to get her onto the gurney and they have not locked the wheels so the gurney starts to roll away.  The female EMT just stands there.

I sort of push her aside and hold the gurney steady.  Pearl is screaming, "Help me!  Help me!"

Just then Merle gets home.  He helps the guy get Pearl onto the gurney, with me holding it still.

Pearl is shaking, I look down and see a sheet and quickly cover her.  It is still sprinkling.  The guy is so determined that she get the blood washed off her hands.  <Geez>

They finally get her in the truck and off they go to the little hospital just up the road.

The nightmare continues in the ER.  They look at her head and determine that she doesn't need stitches.  BUT--they do not clean the abrasion.  They take her for a CAT scan, but they don't put anything on her scraped up and bleeding knees!  
  
She came home 4 hours later.  No follow-up.  Should we keep an eye on her for nausea, dizziness, headache?  Could the knock on the head lead to a hematoma--swelling in the brain?  Guess not.

Now--this is the same hospital and ambulance that used to come here when Fred was in bad shape and they were great.  A scant three years later and this is how they operate?  I know that Merle and Pearl won't say anything or complain, but I am calling Monday and found out what the heck is going on.
=========================

I hurt so bad from walking and flower shopping for 3 hours yesterday that I could hardly move, but.....this is what I did for 5 hours Saturday afternoon.  I kept to my color scheme of Hot Pink, Purple or Dark Blue and Chartreuse.

Click on the pix to see them larger.


That blue pot and trellis, on the right, holds the Purple Hyacinth Bean seeds.


View from the street



 View from up on the porch


View walking up to the porch 


View from my recliner :-) 




The first year I have done a tiered planter.
It is an experiment.
I am not sure that moss on the bottom layer will thrive,
I maybe should have put just polished rocks in there 
This may be a complete fail.  Guess we shall see.


All I know, it all looks so much better on my 
newly painted white and grey porch
then it ever would on just the regular stained one.

This is the most I have done in 4 years!!!  I also planted Zinnia seeds in the raised garden out by my shed AND I have some Lily of the Valley to put in my garden under the Lilacs bushes.

I think another half a Percocet is in order at bedtime tonight and then.......Pammie and church tomorrow and afterwards--lunch with Karen too!!!

8 comments:

  1. So sorry about your neighbor..
    You are an angel :)
    Your plants
    look beautiful..
    Take care of Judy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard and deck look really beautiful.

    The ambulance crew sure weren't very professional. I don't blame you for calling. Your life might depend on them one day. Hope she's okay. It was her husband, not her, that has the A-F...right? A-F's can make you fall fast. I can't believe they didn't want her to do a follow up with the doctor. That's standard!

    Have fun tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about Pearl. How awful. This was not a fun adventure like the one in your last post. I can believe how lame the EMT's were. It ran the gamut with Dad. We had to call an ambulance a number of times and he had to be brought home in ambulance several times. The EMT's were vastly different. Sometimes wonderful and professional, and sometimes unbelievably lame. Same with the hospital and ER care. The quality seems sporadic to me.

    Oh, my, gosh, Judy! Your house and yard and planters are beautiful. I love when you show us pics. I'm jealous of your tiered planter. I wanted to get one this year but couldn't find one like yours at Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot. Where did you get it? I thought I'd put herbs in it. You've planted yours beautifully. I want one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the same thing that happened to my mother a couple weeks ago. From the time we called 911 and also at the hospital. All they wanted to know was her age. They did not seem to want to do much of anything for her as soon as they found out how old she was. Funny all the bills from the hospital are already coming though. Vickie Okc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Pearl is ok. Your garden looks wonderful! I love the tiered planter, I hope it survives! Hope you are enjoying your time with your daughters! Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a feeling it was Pearl when you posted this on FB. That was such shabby work the EMT's - actually it doesn't appear they actually did ANY work to help Pearl. Thank goodness you were home, and the Merle got there too.

    Your flowers are so very beautiful, Judy!

    Enjoy the day with your children. Sounds so wonderful.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart aches for Pearl. What a terrible thing, and that treatment both by the ambulance attendants and the ER are just deplorable. I am sure Pearl was very grateful that Jackie found her and for your presence. Glad you will make the call to discuss this event. Makes me so grateful for the incredibly kind and professional attention I received when I fell unconscious to the floor at the office two months ago with the embolisms.
    The flowers are truly spectacular and congratulations on creating that amazing display, not only for your own enjoyment, but for those who pass by everyday. I, too, will be very interested to see how the tiered planter fills out. I think it will be the talk of the town! Your color choices would be mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I've said before ~ Like a good neighbor, Judy is there!

    ReplyDelete