title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, May 2, 2014

May Promises

Today's high temperature was: 51 degrees
Cloudy and sprinkles all day!
=========================
When I was little--Kindergarten or there abouts.  My Mother always held May Day as a big deal.  I suppose that is why that date is my favorite day of the year?

She saved these all year long.  We seemed to eat a lot of cheese because, we had a lot of these boxes stored in the pantry.


On the last day of April, she would take me down to the woods.  She dug up violets, both purple and white or yellow.  The anemones, which we called May Flowers.  A Jack-In-The-Pulpit, if we could find them.  A Trillium and a May Apple.

We'd come back to the house and she spread newspapers on the kitchen table and started planting.

She lined the boxes with aluminum foil and stick the plants in with extra dirt she had dug up from the woods.

The Jack In The Pulpit and May Apple went at each end, the Trillium in the middle back and the Violets and May Flowers in the front edge of the boxes.

                                                                   


               

We never--ever, dug up a Lady's Slipper plant.  They were too pretty and to hard and rare to find to try and transplant one to our garden.  Besides, they were protected by law, but...I suppose all these other woodland plants were too, LOL.

After the boxes were planted--usually 4--she'd line them up, water just a tiny bit and the next day--May Day--they were ready.  I always took one to my teacher.  Mother gave one to Grandma and Great Grandma and took one into town and gave to a shut-in lady she knew from church.  If she made an extra one, she sat it on the windowsill above the kitchen sink and a few weeks later, planted the plants in her shady garden.

I have gone back to those same woods and dug up plants and transplanted them here, to a shady spot in my garden.  My own Home-Woodland-Childhood-Remembrance Garden.
====================

It caught my eye yesterday.  I can barely see it from my recliner, but when it dances in the wind--I watch.

To the right of that little black arrow

There it is!!
I have no idea where he came from.
The only thing behind him is a mile long open field.
He tugs at his anchor branch--I don't know if he is trying
to get away, or if he is hanging on tightly, hoping not to
be blown away.
A brown plastic bag.
=====================================
Dar came to the door this afternoon, just as I was leaving to go to the dentist.
<small things I am grateful for>

I got my new crown glued on today!!!!  I can't quite explain how wonderful this is.  NO--I don't like all the drilling it takes to prepare the tooth.  NO--I don't like the numbie shot in my jaw, but...I have not been able to chew on the left side of my mouth for over 4 years.  At first, I was afraid to break tooth #12(upper canine), but after I had the root canal and crown, that tooth was very stable.  BUT tooth #18 (lower, left) kept falling apart.  My dentist has repaired it about twice a year-FREE-for the last 4 years.

In February, she told me we needed to do something before it was totally and completely destroyed.  It would not hold a filling any longer.  I thought to have it pulled, but then....I decided to spend a little more and have it crowned.  I have a lifetime guarantee on this crown--of course, at my age--I don't think a guarantee like that really comes into play, LOL


Now--you with weak stomachs might want to look away.  I have a photo!!!!!



Pretty new crown.
As you can see--all my molars are merely a bit of tooth
shell around a whole lot of filling!!
NO--that is not an arrow tattooed onto my tongue.
That is tooth #18--I need #19 crowned also.  I also need the two big molars (# 30 & #31) on the other side done also.  I already have 4 crowned molars above these.

I want to get them done.  ME--who has been terrified of dentist's and dental work for most of my life--until the last 8 years with this dentist.

At $800.00 a tooth--I fear this health benefit will have to wait a while.  I got my new crown put on an 18 month, no interest loan.  44.50 a month--which I can handle.  I could not handle a $177.77 payment per month, if I got them all done.  Luckily, the rest of my teeth--the front and 6 year molars are not filled and in really great shape!  Now--I can pretty much eat anything I want to--probably gain weight!!  NO!!!

There is no need for comments as to how big my mouth is--okay?
==========================
I started the other slipper/shoe--when I got to this point, I DID think about cutting the yarn and keeping it for an oval "rag" rug for my dollhouse bathroom. LOL

Who knew--squirrels love Grape Jelly and Oranges in dish for Baltimore Orioles!!


14 comments:

  1. Squirrels love sweets. I used to love squirrels in my feeders but the dog has taken a liking to them this year so the two of the create at lot of noise.

    I love your May Day story and digging plants with your mothers. I have 5 or 6 of those cheese boxes in the basement. I just saw them today. I have some art supplies in them. I've always loved those little boxes.

    I have more fillings and crowns than you do. Knock on wood, the last few years my teeth have been good. Glad you can chew again on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, what is that in the tree? A plastic bag or an animal? I'm confused.

      Delete
    2. It says under the photo--brown plastic bag

      Delete
    3. Cheese boxes. I have one that I keep my flower seeds in and I have one that sits in my kitchen--along with my old wooden box collection.

      Delete
  2. I forgot about those little wooden boxes :)
    wish I had one now and not seen any in a long time.
    Need to walk in the woods and see if these special
    flowers are blooming.
    Have a wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squirrels will eat any danged thing.

    When you wrote about your mother and you digging up the wildflowers and even remembering how she planted them in the boxes, it made me think of how much mothers influence us. It's remarkable the things we remember about them, even exactly how she placed the flowers in a flower box.

    So glad you're happy with your new crown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful memories of your Mom and May Day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some really nice memories. I used those cheese boxes a lot when I was crafting.
    Yikes....the cost of dental care today.
    Joe's just showing me a picture of the new sandwich at Culver's.....I said that my mouth couldn't open that far....but maybe I know someone whose mouth could handle it....Ha Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe just scolded me and said that the comment wasn't very nice,,,, I said Judy can take a joke....You didn't know I had a naughty streak did you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never met a Culver's yet that I couldn't get my mouth around!!! LOL

      Delete
    2. He tried the new one with the pepper....I think it's a pepper grinder. He didn't like it...a first for him. Culver's is our favorite fast food rest. I love their butter burgers. Their fish fry is the best.
      Balisha

      Delete
  7. That really is a wonderful memory, Judy.

    I'm glad you're able to have the work done on your teeth. Unfortunately, for my brothers and myself, we inherited Mom's teeth and problems. They have started
    breaking off at the gum line without any "notice". I'm in the process of having these
    surgically removed in order to get a full upper plate. I don't like it, really can't afford it, but it is what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it amazing how many pretty flowers grow in the woods! In the fall, the edges of the hay meadow are full of blooms. I've tried to bring some plants to my flower beds, and if they live I have found they're very aggressive.

    I love reading about your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those wooden boxes would be pretty popular on eBay or at a flea market I think!

    ReplyDelete