title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Just An Ordinary Tuesday

Today's high temperature was: 20 degrees
Grey
====================================
Just a note about hair color--I see older women still coloring their hair blond and it tends to be yellow--like baby chicks feathers--like mine was getting to be.  Or I see older women still coloring their hair too dark, which tends to look like dark shoe polish.  Don't even get me started on men who color their hair--it usually has a reddish tint to it--you did see John Travolta on the Oscars--right?  EGADS!!  As we age, our skin gets thinner and lighter and our hair needs to be lighter also or we tend to look hard.  Of course, the grey hair is coarse and wiry and does not take color as well as it did.  I only stopped coloring my hair (I have colored it since I was 16 when my blond hair started going mousy--Light Ash Blond) because I really couldn't afford the box of color every month AND I was curious to see what color my hair actually was.  Imagine my surprise when the hair on the back of my head grew out so dark--I probably was destined to be a brunette all my life.  LOL.  I looked good as a blond when I was younger, I have blue eyes and fair skin.  I am very happy with the grey and yes, I agree.  It does make my appearance look softer.



==============================================================
I called and canceled the Comcast service guy.  How can he check the outside cables when I have four feet of snow piled up around the foundation of this place?  AND, I am not in the mood to pay out 40 bucks if he finds the problem is inside.

So--Melissa Gilbert is having a book signing of her children's book--this Saturday, in Howell.  She's lived here 8 months.  I have lived here nearly 11 years--did anyone in Howell ask me to have a signing for my children's book?

My doctor makes house calls to her.  She has been going to him for six months.  I was his first patient when he started his practice seven years ago.  Does he make house calls to me?

HARRUMPH!
=======================================
Dar came over (again) this morning.

"My throat is awfully sore.  I woke up in the middle of the night and it was burning.  It felt like I had a lump in my throat...or like vomit...or something."

I said.  "It sounds like acid reflux."

"What?"

"Heartburn."

"Did the words throat cancer cross your mind just then, because it crossed mine in the middle of the night?"

"Yes--it flew through, but....tip your head back and feel all along your throat.  Do you have any lumps there or along your jawline?"

She runs both hands up and down her throat, under her jaw, back to her ears and the back of her neck.

"No...I don't feel anything unusual."

"What did you eat last night for supper?"

"I got Sheila to go to Art Van with me, after she got home from work.  We spent over two hours walking around, looking at chairs and then, we went across the street to that new Mexican restaurant for a late supper.  I came home and went to bed around ten.  I woke up at midnight with the burning in my throat and pain."

"It must be heartburn then.  Drink some Alka-Seltzer or take a Prilosec or Rolaids...drink some milk and it should be better."

"I have never had this before in my life!"

"It's from stomach acid.  The food was probably spicy or greasy and you don't usually eat that kind of stuff.  You went to bed soon after you got home.  You laid down and the stomach acid came up into your esophagus.  It burns in your throat and tastes like bile."

"I don't have acid in my stomach!  Remember...I had nine feet of colon removed."

<what that has to do with acid reflux I do not know, but all things are possible>

"We all have stomach acid.  It breaks up our food and makes it digestible.  Sometimes, something we eat will cause the acid to increase.  Prilosec---Omeprazole are medications that kind of shut the acid down.".

"You've had this before?"

"Yes.  I can get acid reflux from drinking too much water.  Mine is usually caused by nerves or if I eat something too spicy.  Although, I haven't had it for quite a long time now.  My doc gave me Omeprazole to take, but I haven't needed it lately."

She went home and called later...

"I called my doctor and she wants me to have some tests done.  She said it was probably acid reflux, but she wants to do the tests to make sure.  I go in next Monday...I have to have the test done in the hospital!  I did drink some milk it did help, but my throat still burns."

"Okay--good to get it checked out."

<good grief.  I hope she enjoys a tube stuck down her throat to check it all out>
========================
My House Finch with Leucism came back today and I got better pictures of her.

==================================================


A month ago, I gave this kid Brian--(1st chair Horn in the Wind Ensemble) a CD of French Horns playing jazz.




I got a response on Face Book from him today.

Thanks so much for the CD! I can't stop listening to it! Soooo amazing!

======================================

I didn't even know French Horns played jazz until about 20 years ago and I knew these kids wouldn't know about it.  I had posted on FB that I was enjoying one of my CD's and Brian commented back that he didn't know French Horns played jazz, so I got the CD for him.  I am so glad to know he is enjoying it and that I helped a bit with his edification. 


I told him, "When you get to be about sixty-five and you are relaxing in your recliner chair, you will probably appreciate it a lot more than you do now."
===============================
Tonight, the University of Michigan or the Arrogant Asses of Ann Arbor as some of us call them, won the Big Ten Championship in basketball.  I posted a congrats on Face Book--and now, I have acid reflux!!!




3 comments:

  1. The bird is so pretty. I love watching the birds. We have a whole flock of cardinals - male and female - at our feeders right now. That Dar - she keeps things interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch the Oscars this year, but it seems I recall John Travolta wears a toupee. (Or, however you spell it, LOL)

    So nice of you to send that young man the cd, and how gratifying it must be for you to know how much he likes it and appreciates your kind gesture.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, does that local bookstore have your book in stock or even aware that a local person wrote a book? If not, stop by and give the owner a copy of the book and a letter of introduction that includes: your contact information, how they can order the book, that you're available for a book signing, and a little about book itself. Work it, sister, work it! These things don't happen by magic. If Howell has little newspaper you can also offer yourself up for an interview and if they do it, then the bookstores in the area might give YOU a call. Though I'll warn you, if they can't make a few bucks off the book because they can't order directly from the publisher, that would explain why they have no interest in you doing a signing. In which case, you also try donating a copy to the head librarian at the library along with a cover letter saying that you're available to do a reading of your book. They will often let you sell your books with a reading and/or to handout bookmarks with info on how parents can order a copy.

    Dar is not going to be happy when she finds out what they are going to do for that test.

    ReplyDelete