title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Panic Reigns Again

Today's high temperature was:  22 degrees
8 inches of snow
Sunny in the afternoon
-2 tonight
============================

I went to bed a bit late last night.  I knew there was a big snow coming and I decided to sleep in this morning.

8:00 a.m.--phone by my bed rings.

"Harow...mmph.  Hello?"

"OH MY GOD!!!  WE ARE HAVING A BLIZZARD.  THERE'S OVER A FOOT OF SNOW OUT THERE.  WHAT IS DAN'S NUMBER?"

"Just a minute.  I gotta get up and go find it.  (voice cracks.) "

"Were you still sleeping?"

"Yeah," I say as I trot to the study.  "I thought I gave you Dan's number."

"You did, but....I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I PUT IT! JACKIE NEEDS IT TOO."

"Jackie has it.  I gave it to her."

"OH..she does?  I should have called her instead."

<sigh>

I peeked out the window, then opened my desk drawer, where I keep all my numbers, (on a sheet of paper stock in alphabetical order) and gave her Dan's number.

"Okay.  I'm calling him because....I HAVE TO BE AT WORK AT NOON!!"

I can see why this poor woman has high blood pressure and a rapid heart rate.  GEEZ!!

I went back into the bathroom, yawned, stretched, fed the cats, made my warm cocoa, grabbed my pill box and came back into the study.

Hm-mm

Not quite a foot of snow, but probably 8 inches

     yesterday
                                                     This morning


Dan showed up at Dar's house around 10:00.  The snow was blowing back into the drive as quickly as he shoveled it out.  Then, he went over to Jackie's and did her drive.  Then he came over here around noon and I told him to shovel out other people that were in a panic and come back and do mine later, after the snow quit.

He says to me, "You know that lady down there...Debbie?"

"You mean Darlene?"

"Yeah.  She's nuts!  She acts wired doesn't she?"

"A yup."

"She wants me to get out here the minute she calls and today...when I went up to get paid, she told me she didn't have any cash!"

"Oh.  Gosh.  Don't worry, I'll pay you and then I'll get the money back from Darlene.  Okay?"

Dan walked down the drive and got in his car.  I watched as Dar backed out of her drive and managed to get stuck--she cramped the wheel too much to the right and backed into a big drift on the side of her drive--just as Dan was driving by.  He jumped out, got her unstuck and all was quiet.

I left my gas stove burners to soak over night in a sealed plastic bag of Ammonia and I took them out and put them to soak in the kitchen sink with really hot water and Dawn.  It's weird that I did not ever know that Ammonia will practically dissolve all the grease on stuff.  WHAT A SMELL!!  They sure turned out nice and clean though.

Got some lunch and just as I sat down to eat, the phone rang and my friend from Saginaw called.  "How are you coping with the blizzard down your way?"

I told her we weren't having a blizzard, just a lot of snow and wind gusts--a white out at times, but--no big deal.

I managed to eat my lunch and started to watch my Soap and the phone rang again.  It was Pearl.

"I AM DAMN SICK OF THIS!!!  MERLE SAYS WE HAVE EIGHT INCHES OF SNOW OUT THERE.  WE WERE ONLY SUPPOSE TO HAVE SIX.  OH..you're watching your show aren't you?  Bye."

Dan showed up at 2:00 and cleaned everything up and then...the sun came out, nice and bright.  

Another crisis passed.  Panic averted.  Life goes on.




I have a confession to make.  I do not know how to unhook my VCR and still have the DVD and Cable box work.  I unplugged the VCR--who needs a VCR nowadays!  I took the cables off where it connected to the TV and the DVD and then, neither would work.  I was frustrated by then, so I hooked it back up.  I guess I am going to have to go searching for a TV guy to come out and do it for me.  That ticks me off!  I know how to unhook and hook up my computer, modem, router, but I am not that good with other electronic things, ...........and I don't feel like learning now.  So.................


Let's see what tomorrow brings--Eh?









7 comments:

  1. I'm no good with TVs, DVDs and VCRs either. I actually do use my VCR and wish I could switch the DVD and VCR since they are both hooked up to different TVS, but I'm afraid to try it.

    You got more snow than we did, but we got more than predicted, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grandchildren all know exactly how to hook up all the TV equipment. LOL...I am baffled by it to some degree.
    Hoping this is winter's fare thee well......the storm has arrived here and the winds are up to 50-60 right now. We won't get much snow but there is ice. I have to leave the house at 8 for my heart testing this morning.
    Your patience with Dar is amazing!!! Such drama she creates....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could use ammonia on my burners but that stuff has put me in the hospital in the past. Got any tips for cleaning burners that doesn't come with such toxic fumes for those of us with asthma and allergies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter just won't stop! I thought our farm was going to blow away yesterday in the strong wind gusts. All your problems with the neighbors ~ like the Statewide Insurance song ~ "Like a good neighbor, Judy is there!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I'm wishing for snow, I just pop over here to your blog. It's almost like it's mine, except I don't have to call Dan.

    I read your previous post. I know you are proud and would never ask for help if you didn't really need it. That's why it's available, for those who need it. I hope you get what you need and I wish you peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listen, missy - you aren't paying someone to do your tv/dvd. I am here to help....Very simple. I will send you an email and a diagram. It is easy peasy. Much easier than the modem/printer/computer cocoction.

    ReplyDelete