title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, November 15, 2013

Where Can I Find Some Sticks?

Today's high temperature was: 52 degrees
Sunny all day.
========================

Melissa!!! Thanks for supper.  I picked-up a Subway on
the way home from the Chiropractor!!  Bless you!


I have been a writer since I was twelve, when my story of a hermit living in the woods, won me an A+ in sixth grade.  I got my first Diary at age 14.  I used to write things in my diary, hoping my mother would find it and read it, so she would know how I felt.  Then, when I was a senior in high school, I started using codes so if she DID read it, she wouldn't know what I was writing about, LOL.  I have a large plastic storage box filled with journals from the last 40 years.

I have never been good at showing my emotions.  I can't articulate them verbally--I get too emotional.  So, I have to write them down...more or less to see them, read them and get the emotions out of my mind so I don't think about them all the time. I sometimes open up that big plastic box and re-read those journals. 

OHMYGOSH! I cannot believe how stupid I have been over the last "post-divorce" two decades.  It makes me feel good to see how I have changed and grown a lot wiser, but...do I want my kids or sister to read them when I am primped and pretty in my casket?

I should burn them, but there is a no burning rule in this park.  I should throw them in the garbage, but then I can just see someone going through the land fill, hunting for blue bottles and coming upon my journals and writing a novel.  I do like to read them from time to time, but...I am thinking of how I can keep them and then make them disappear moments before the heart attack or stroke takes me out of here, never to return.  

Of all you "nameless, faceless" blessed women who read my posts, you are neither nameless or faceless too me.  By what you have written on your own blogs, by the pictures you have posted,  I can visualize where you are.  I can see your faces.  I know about your families and friends AND, I DO feel very close to you.  It would be wonderful to all get together and yet...perhaps that would spoil the mystique?  I would be embarrassed to stand before you and then, of course, I would cry and.......................well, you know.  Better this way, where we can comment and encourage, give advice, and just be brutally honest in what we write on our own pages.

Actually, in this group of 9 or 10 women who read my posts, I have 2, not so nameless nor faceless.  My real life in the body friends, Beth and Chris.  I have known Beth for nearly 70 years and I have known Chris for 30.  I dare say, in all those years, they probably know me better through this blog then they ever did in "real" life.  I just don't share my desperation in "real" life, as I do on this blog. (Although, Chris did see that about 25 years ago.)

I didn't even share these kinds of things with my very best friend Arlene.  She would have looked at me strangely and said, "Dammit Jude!  You can't do anything about it so, get over it!"  If she ever WAS into deep thinking about emotions, she certainly never showed it nor talked about it.

My sister gets me, but then again, I have a certain big sister status I must maintain.  About this Jennifer thing, my sister said, "Oh well, you know how overly dramatic she can get.  I refuse to be involved in her drama."  I don't share too much with my daughter's because,  Jen is their baby sister and I am their mother and I don't want to ever make them feel they have to choose sides.  They have both felt the "Wrath of Jennifer", as we call it, so they know, but they also care deeply about her.  Besides, if I tried to discuss it with them and my son, I would just cry and that's no good!

I can't really share these feelings with Pearl or Dar.  Neither one of them would understand why, two years out, I am still going through grief.  Dar would understand the whole alienation of daughter thing, as her daughter has not talked to her for almost 3 years and she hasn't seen her grandchildren, but in Dar's case, it is NOT her fault (but of course it is) and she explains it away because "my daughter is mentally ill, (which of course she isn't)  Besides all that, I am their go-to person for their problems.  I am their listener--the one to see it in an objective way--the one to calm them down..

So--you are the poor ones who have to read this stuff--or just pass on by--whatever.  There is no way you will ever realize how much your comments mean to me.  Just to know that there IS someone out there who "gets it", makes it a whole lot better!

As Jaye commented yesterday, I gotta find the sticks to start building a ladder out of the deep hole I am in.  I promise you I will--just like that picture on the upper right side of this blog says, "I always get up"-  I may not stand as straight as before, but I will get back up!

8 comments:

  1. Judy, you will get back up. I have no doubt. I'm glad you have this place to let it all out.

    I kept a diary for awhile when I was a teenager. LOL I was so silly. I haven't read them in years. I must make a trip up to the attic. Shortly before she died, my mother-in-law told me where all her letters to and from H's father during WWII were hidden.

    Judy, just wanted to let you know that I read your previous post and commented on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just reminded me of a box of letters I have written back and forth between Vietnam!

      Delete
  2. Judy, take care of you...
    Do not look back
    this is difficult to do
    but you can
    if you have to sing, dance, pray
    it will happen.
    If I could pull myself out of hole
    you can too.
    Over and over
    we will fall
    and each time we get up'
    we are a little stronger.
    Sending a smile, hug and prayer
    from one of the nameless and faceless ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are close in age and I, too, started writing in diaries when I was very young---younger than you. I still have all my diaries too and have told my nieces I want them burned when I'm gone. Since telling them that I've come up with a better idea. This winter I think I'm going to go through them and ruthlessly edit them into a self-published private, not for sale, book. I will just pull out the memories and wise/silly/funny/heart-breaking stuff I may have written and still enjoy reading and I let the rest all go in the paper cutter. If someone reads that after I'm gone it won't matter. There is value in re-reading old diaries, to see your growth and changing attitudes. They tell a story that is valuable so letting go entirely is just too hard. When I do this project I plan to use two different fonts---one for the old, original diary entries and another for when I want to expand on or explain what wrote so many years ago in abbreviated "code."

    I never wanted my mother or brother to read my diaries and I used to set traps for them with baby power and threads., Nancy Drew style. Just a few weeks ago this topic came up when my brother and he still to this day claims he never read them, but he said our mother did. LOL

    I, too, have often wondered if bloggers got together in real time if that would spoil the mystique. Would we put up the same guards we do off line with the people we meet and know really well? People meet online and get married...I know three couples who did that...so it it is possible to keep that "bloggers openness" in real time. I'm just not sure I could do it. I write far more than I talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel such a sadness for the things that have and are happening to you. Why don't you take a "Judy day" and just try to forget anything that makes you sad. Stop beating yourself up and instead be kind to Judy. You deserve this.

    I'm just thinking as I write here....maybe you should get rid of the other things that you have written and start keeping a gratitude journal and writing in it each day....You have so much to "give" others through this blog. I'll never forget your comments when my son was dying. You helped me so at that time.
    Take care...it will get better,
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending loads of love and best wishes... Things will get better I'm sure. In the meanwhile, keep posting. There's people out there in the 'blogosphere' who really care. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given my sister strict instructions that when I die, she is to zoom down from Chicago and remove my journals from my house and destroy them. I wouldn't want my sons reading them. She's also supposed to throw my vibrators away :P

    I can't even imagine how I would feel if one of my sons stopped speaking to me, but I know for sure it would break my heart. I think you can only do what you can do about that and try somehow to find peace with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad we have gotten to "know" each other. I really would like to meet in real life- I think we'd have great fun.
    I never wrote in journals because I couldn't stand the thought of someone reading my innermost thoughts - then I start blogging and put them out to the world. Seems a bit insane, but those up close to me - I'd be horrifiied if they knew things that went on in my head. They'd probably commit me!
    I like the Judy day that Balisha recommended. It is usually a really good thing, once it happens!
    Hugs, as always,

    ReplyDelete