title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, November 8, 2013

Fruitful Friday

The high temperature today was:  43 degrees
Sunny all day, but chilly.
==========================================

Last night, I figured something out.  I think part of my funk is all the political stuff I hear--on the news, on Face Book, on the Internet.

I have both Liberal and Conservative friends.  They all "share" political links from time to time.  I have been known to do that too.  A couple of times, I posted something political and I received about 30 comments.  Two of my "friends", unknown to each other, started arguing with each other--under my post.  It would be like if one of you made a comment and someone else made a comment disagreeing with you and then came back with a rebuttal and then they did....on and on.  Actually, by the time they were into it, what they were arguing about had nothing to do with my original post.  When I saw what was going on, I deleted the post and thus the arguing.  

I have one friend who is Ultra-Liberal and she posts so many political links that it is all I see when I open FB in the morning.  Another friend, an Ultra-Conservative AND minister, posts so many political links every morning that---well anyway, by the time I get past all of them--it's been near an hour.  I have changed my settings so I don't see either one anymore, but still.................

This morning, I posted on FB book that I was not sharing any more political links OR post anything political from my own thoughts.  The acrimony that exists between people nowadays, is beyond anything I have ever witnessed in my 53 years of voting.  I use to love politics--the working of the government--the lively, but rational discussions.  Nowadays, it is just plain nasty.  

I spent much of today, changing my settings from quite a few politically posting people.  I have deleted any posts I might receive on my page from any and all political groups--even the ones I believe in.  I don't want to see any of it anymore.  The negativity that exists now, just makes me depressed, pessimistic and almost without hope.  Two days ago, I read a post from a younger friend--she stated that she was changing her settings so as not to receive any more political posts--I thought about her post the rest of the day, and I see her point!

Tomorrow, this is what I will post on my status in the morning.

"I want to thank Teri Forbush for opening my eyes and I have taken her lead.  The Good Lord knows I posted my share of political links—cluttering up my friends Face Book pages and I don’t think the Good Lord would be happy with me about that.  I have deleted all the apps that send me political links and I have changed my FB settings to only get “important status updates” from my friends.  I know how most of you feel politically.  You aren’t going to change my mind and I’m not going to change yours. 

I want to see what you are doing in your everyday life.  I cannot begin to tell you how refreshing it is to open up FB and only see positiveness.  A friend’s cure from cancer.  A request for prayer from another and a later update on their answered request.  The picture of someone’s new grand baby.  I want to see photos of your cats and dogs, something you viewed out on your walk, an uplifting post from my pastor.  A birthday or anniversary notice. A post from one of my grand kids.    


It is so easy for negativity to surround us.  I think we all need more positive news.  I know I crave that in my life.  So Onward and Upward we go—ever Forward!"

I would get off FB completely except, it is a good way to see what is going on with my grand kids and I love playing the games they have.  All the political crap was just getting me down.

==================================

Today at noon, I took Pearl to the movie.  I wanted to see something funny, so I asked her to go with me.  It was great!  We laughed until we were almost crying--and once, we even had tears in our eyes because of a statement one of the old guys made.  I think you would have to be of a "certain age" to really enjoy the movie, but since, we are of that age, it had a lot that pertains to us--or the way we feel.  The one statement that made us both cry and the other oldsters in the theatre very quiet was this:
Michael Douglas says, "In my mind, I am seventeen years old. But...my body is breaking down.  I'm scared...I don't want to get old!"  Sound about right?





5 comments:

  1. I so hope my movie and lunch club picks this movie to see next week! I'm glad you liked it and reviewed it here.

    I had to change my settings on FaceBook, too, to get rid of the daily political crap and I've rarely---maybe 3 times---ever posted political stuff myself on FB. There are too many places on the web where you can go to debate issues anonymously without getting into fights with friends and relatives. Sites set up just for that purpose and they suit me just fine when I'm in the mood. I love politics, too---the old style---but what we're seeing now is stranger than strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left FB. It isn't for me, even though my nieces keep trying to get me to come back. I know what you mean abou politics and friends not mixing. My best friend's political views are very different from mine. We've been friends for over forty years, and we never discuss it except in the most general way.

    We walked around eight o'clock this morning. It was 30 and the frost was on the pumpkin. Of course, our high was almost 60.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cleaned house of the negative stuff, too. Ridding my life of the negativity has made a huge difference in my body, mind and soul!
    My best friend and I have been talking about this subject for awhile and I've watched a huge change take place in her life since she stopped joining in the rhetoric.
    We have a rainy cool morning here and LM and I are playing with Ms G....she's all crazy from catnip....LOL....Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your suspicions and frustrations with FB. I can't believe some of the stuff that fellow teachers post publically. Any of the kids.. or their parents.. could see it. So inappropriate!!! Glad you enjoyed the film. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree on the FB stuff - I try to keep my opinions to myself. I've never forgotten that my wise mother said I never have to tell anyone how I voted, and I never will. Onward, dear one. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete