title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, November 29, 2013

Nice Day

High temperature today was:  25 degrees
With a bit of snow--perfect
==================================

I remember Thanksgiving, when I had it at my house.  I had a large home, with a large dining room and a large table, that stretched out to serve 14 people very comfortably.  I invited my Dad and step-mother, and my Mother and Father in-law and the three SIL's.  We had just 14 people.  

My SIL's and MIL had to work so I asked them to bring nothing!!  I started baking and cooking early Wednesday morning--five different kinds of pie.  Got up early Thursday morning, put the turkey in at 5:00, on 325 degrees to cook nice and slow.  Usually a 20# turkey and had to cook it in the basement in my grandma's old big oven because my new stove only had a 30" oven.  

We ate around 1:00--we all were too provincial to eat those middle of the afternoon dinners that so many do nowadays.  We turned the TV off during the Thanksgiving meal--a rule of mine, so we could all converse.I always had my grandma's damask table cloth, her china and crystal and my mother's sterling silverware.  Very elegant.  The kids got such a kick out of being able to drink water from the crystal goblets!

I remember the earlier Thanksgiving dinners when I was a kid--at grandma's--same house I lived in later.  One year she roasted a goose and it was delicious!!

Two years ago, I bought a turkey breast for just Fred and I.

How times change.

Today, I had a lovely day at the family homestead with sister Susan and her hubby Chuck.  Very low key, quiet and so, very, very pleasant.  



We watched the parade from Detroit, where Madeleine's band got invited to march in this year.  She's on the left.  It was so cold, but they look like they are having fun.  Kids!!

About, 3:00, I left and stopped at Pammie's on the way home.  She was enjoying her alone day--had roasted a small turkey and was watching football--her favorite thing to do.

I got home just before 5:00, just as it was getting dark.

I was cold all day.  Susan keeps their house at 68 degrees and Pammie keeps her at 60!  I was real glad to get home to my nice, warm 72 degree warmth!!  Those houses with the high ceilings just don't seem as warm as they ought to be.  

Now--Thanksgiving is over!!!  

Can we start decorating for Christmas?  

Can we please?


4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good day! Your Thanksgivings of yesterday sounds really neat with all the elegant touches. What a lot of work, but the memories you left in the hearts of your family was worth it, I'm sure.

    Yes, let the Christmas decorations flow! Thanks for reminding me it's time to get the scarecrow off the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cooked a turkey ONCE! :)

    So glad you had a nice day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your past Thanksgivings sound lovely. Such a beautifully set table makes it all so special. I know your kiss still remember it.

    Yes, you can start decorating, but only I'd you show us photos. I love it when you give us a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DECORATE,,, OH MAN,,, my first year not having someone here,,,, dang what will I do? I will go light and slow. Today I bought a candle that smells like tree. Think I will get a fake one this year,,, just easier and hey WHO'S HERE?

    ReplyDelete