title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, November 18, 2013

Every Rung Goes Higher, Higher

Today's high temperature was: 36
Wind, rolling grey clouds--not one peek of sun.
=====================================

My ladder is progressing.

Boy did we have some bad storms!  The worst storms we have had (for the entire state) in 10 years.  Not as bad as Indiana, Illinois and Ohio--such devastation and at this time of year.  Weird.  My sister said, "When the storm hit it was a like a blanket descended over the house--we couldn't see out of any window and the wind howled like a train!  I can't believe the 150 year old outhouse is still standing!"  Their house is on a small hill and with no wind breaks to the west of them, only open fields.  But, the house (along with the out house) has stood for over 150 years, so no 75 mph wind is going to take her down!!

We got lots of slanted rain here and 50 mph wind gusts with 40 mph straight line winds.  My house is built to withstand 110 mph winds, plus I have the added wind break of the house west of me and the woods south of me.  My lawn has a lot of leaves on it again, but they will just have to stay.  None of my bags blew over or away and will be picked up tomorrow.

My Michigan State Spartan basketball game is now rated #1 in the country.  A long time since that has happened and the football team beat Nebraska and we are like 6-0--perhaps a Rose Bowl visit this coming New Year's Day?  We have to get past Minnesota first!

I have wanted an electric fireplace for a few years now--actually since I moved in here and look what I found--just what I need.  Combination fireplace and media center--which would sit where my entertainment center is now.


It would sit flat against the wall, across from my chair

taking the place of the entertainment center
which I am increasingly sick to death of!

It however costs, $629 and then I would also have to buy the insert with the fake flames and all for another $150.  Then I would have to get someone to put it together and move the TV and all the components out of the one I have and get them hooked up correctly and...and......well, let's just say, I will go on "wanting" for quite a while.

===========================================

I am building my ladder, rung-by-rung and gaining a bit of ground.  I still cannot see the top of the pit, but I know there is top edge and I will get there.  It is just, first thing in the morning, I think about Jen and it makes a squiggly kind of feeling in my stomach.

Today, I cleaned the bedroom, washer and dryer area, bathroom and then mopped the kitchen floor, dusted everything and as long as I was dusting, decided to take all the stuff of where I want my Christmas nativities, Santas and other stuff to go.  It all looks very clean and bare--I kind of like the uncluttered look!  While moving things in the kitchen, I found all 6 of Maggies, little mousies and so she is very happy.  All Buddy did was complain all the time because I had the cat food and water dish sitting in the living room so I could mop.

I have let Fred go back to resting in peace (whatever that means).  Every night, I still hear him say, "Night. Night.  Don't let the bed bugs bite"--whatever that meant.  That nightly saying use to rile me a bit, but then he'd say, "I love you, Sweetheart. See you on the other side of midnight.", and that kind of made up for it.  When he could no longer lay on  his right side, so I could snuggle up behind him, and had to lay on his back, with his breathing machine, I would roll over on my right side, bend my knee so it touched his thigh, and hold his left thumb until I went to sleep.  Now, I just pet big Buddy's soft fur until he lays his head on my hand and we go off to sleep.

See you tomorrow--it promises to be sunny and in the 40's.






7 comments:

  1. Hope is always available to us. When we feel defeated, we need only take a deep breath and say, "Yes," and hope will reappear. - Monroe Forester

    Hang in there...things will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes wake with that "squiggly" feeling in my stomach. It usually happens to me in the middle of the night. I think we are most vulnerable in those first few moments of consciousness. Our defenses are down. I hope this situation resolves at some point. It can happen.

    I'm glad you and your house survived in tact. Whew!!

    I'm going to try your "secret sauce" recipe. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband's family lost two farmhouses and the outbuildings to two tornadoes, ten years apart. They both had tree rows/wooded property to the west. There's just no rhythm or reason for why some places are spared. Winds like we just had here in Michigan are SO scary and it's a weird feeling to know that now I can go down the basement during a storm because I no longer have a wheelchair bound husband who I had to stay up stairways with. The reminders of our widow losses are always around us when we least expect them. The approaching holidays are making a lot of us in the blogging world restless and "squiggly" So we all need to make a pack to support one another. Like Cheyenne above said, "hang in there, Judy, things will work out." I truly believe that for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I am lusting after an entertainment center much like the tall one you have. I like the idea of hiding all the dust collectors behind closed doors. If you ever do get new one Two Men and a Truck will move just one piece of furniture from one room to another, or Goodwill will pick up your old one if you're donating it. With your skill set, you could put a new unit together with one hand tied behind your back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was some wild, crazy weather huh? Especially for this time of year!

    I know the whole Jen situation weighs heavy on you, especially when your defenses are down, like first thing in the morning. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this.

    It's so funny that you want a fireplace and I HAVE a fireplace and rarely use it. I LOVE having a fire burning there, but all the heat in my house goes up the chimney and the ONLY warm place left is right in front of the fireplace. The electric fireplace you want would be perfect because there's no chimney, just warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy - Check this out - a bit more reasonable:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quality-Craft-Traditional-Electric-Fireplace-Entertainment-Center-Oak/14668558?srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=27-191616573-2&wmlspartner=bizratecom&adid=csebr00000000000000000000000000000101&veh=cse

    ReplyDelete