title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, June 14, 2013

Fun Friday

Today's temperature was:  73 degrees
Today's humidity was:  35%
Sunny and a nice breeze

Do you know what I did all day?  I worked on Pearl's family tree---for 12 hours!!!

I found ancestor's she didn't know existed!!

Now I need to type up the chart and put into a nice album for her--probably another 8 hours.

That's all I did--

This has been good for her too--I ask her questions and she thinks--then she starts to remember stories of her grandma, or an aunt or a family story like her great grandma being related to a Duchess.  I have not found any evidence of that and the great grandma, who she said was always called Catherina Frederika--is actually Hannah Frederika.  (sigh)

I think we are both enjoying this.  I have a lot of pictures I have scanned into a file that I am going to include on that person's page.

Pearl's mother left her when Pearl was only two.  Her Dad couldn't take care of her, so she lived with her grandma.  I think all of this is giving her a certain continuity--to see her family all stretched out before her--how she has come down through this family and has some of their physical traits.

She hoped I would find some dirt--I did find a speck--her great great grandfather signed up to fight in the Civil War.  He enlisted in New York and five months later, in Fairfax, VA--he deserted!!  He was 45 years old with a family back in NY--he probably was just worn out.  She never even heard of this guy--so another generation opened up to her.

Anyway--I am having the best time with all of this :-)

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much you've done already. Pearl is going to love her gift from you, Judy!

    You're such a great friend!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you would do this for her! You're so good at it too, I wouldn't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its amazing how time flies when you are working on a family tree! I love the process of making all the connections. Thanks for your comments on my last post. I was feeling a bit gloomy and I appreciated everyones support. Jx

    ReplyDelete