title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, June 28, 2013

AGAIN!!!

Today's Temperature was: 81%
Today's humidity was:  72%
Rain, dark clouds, lightning and thunder 
AND
a delicious cool breeze this evening.

I am hoping tomorrow will be rain free and low humidity and cool because--I have a gigantic outside chore to do.  This mound is under the bird feeders.  Apparently has grown from all the seed that drops on the ground.  I need to loosen it up with my garden fork and then shovel the clumps into a yard waste bag or 4, so the yard waste people can pick it up on Tuesday.  I had to do this one other time--you cannot imagine the terrible way that rotten seed stinks!!!   

You can't really see it that well.

Here we go--now you can see the elevation better.


Side garden by front porch doing well.  I can't wait for the lily plant in front to bloom--as I remember, the blooms are a pinkish-purple.  I love the sign my little sister made for me.  The piece of slate is from Prince Edward Island--you know the Anne of Green Gables place.  Then Susan painted on it.  She is very good at painting and drawing.  She takes after our Mother in that respect.  I got none of that talent.  I can drive a tractor and a big stick shift farm truck--like any of that does any good now in my life. My Daddy thought it was important for me to know how.  Strange, but when Susan came along--well let's just say she can't even drive a stick shift car, let along a truck and I dare say she wouldn't know the first thing about driving a tractor!!!



Have you noticed?  I try and get pictures for my post every day now.  I don't have a fancy camera--I just have this little digital Canon that Freddy got for me a couple of Christmas' ago.  It does have a zoom feature, but---not the greatest.  Anyway, I love it when people post pix on their blogs, so I am trying to make it more interesting.
========================================
Okay--let's review recent purchases.

I am giving a 5* rating to the Pocket Hose.  I know that men like their heavy duty, rubber hoses.  Karen told me that is the kind that Mark has and it about wears her out to unwind it, haul it around and water the gardens.  So I will give you the same advice I gave her.  If that is the case in your household--buy the pocket hose for yourself!  It comes in 50' lengths and you can put lengths together.  The 50' one weighs about 1 pound.  Then you take off the rubber hose from the house spigot, put your handy dandy pocket hose on, walk it so easily out to where you want to water--have a ball watering--no strain on your neck, shoulders, back or legs, then, when done.  Drain it--it does it automatically, put HIS hose back on and store your light weight cute, snaky, green pocket hose in a secret place until next time.  HE will never know.  NO--I am not advising mutiny in a marriage.  You know full well, we all keep secrets from our husband's--this is a good secret.

I am also giving a 5* rating to the 1,600 thread count Egyptian Cotton sheets from nomorerack.com.  I washed them today.  It didn't take them very long to dry and they came out of the dryer, totally wrinkle free!  Man--I love these sheets.  I ordered two more pair for Pammie and Karen's birthday gifts.  Really--for $30.00, a great deal!  I am very particular about my sheets--I can't stand anything that would catch on a rough toe nail or heel.  I do not like Satin sheets nor do I like flannel ones.  These not only feel silky on my feet and legs, but when I turn over in bed, they do not "drag" on my nightie.

As for the Forever Comfy cushion and the My Pillow--please do not waste your money.  The cushion went flat after a few weeks and will not plump back up and the My Pillow?  I was dragged into buying when the inventor said it would help with neck and back pain.  I got the standard/Queen size and it is small.  It took me a long time to get use to it and I'd wake during the night, struggling to make it conform to the position I wanted.  In about 2 weeks, I found my neck, shoulder and back pain to be much worse.  It started getting deformed--the instructions said to "refluff" it and to make the guarantee effective, to wash and dry it.  Well--let me tell you--you need to take it to a laundromat and use one of the bigger machines to wash it.  When I pulled it wet from the washer, it was a sopping lumpy mess.  I put it in the dryer and it took forever to dry.  There were stains on the cover--the smell was terrible.  I never could get it back to its original shape, so I threw $70.00+ worth of foam in the trash can. I tried to contact the company via e-mail.  No way to contact them--just great!! 

Also--I did not buy it because it is so expensive, but the No No hair remover?  I was told by a few ladies that if you use it on your face--especially your upper lip, it will burn your skin.  I didn't think that it was worth nearly $300.00 for that.  I can buy a small tube of Nair facial hair remover and a nice big tube of Veet Shower hair removal for my legs for less then $10.00.
=========================
I have a question?  Why is it that when one battery operated apparatus needs new AA batteries and you are all out--that 3 or 4 more apparatus' die within the day?  First my camera--then my inside weather station, then the TV remote, and the automatically room deodorizer.  Of course, it was on my list to buy a big pack of AA batteries when I went to the store the other day.  On the TOP of my list, in big letters.  Of course, I forgot to get them!

Hey--lookey here--I got my Subway I couldn't get yesterday!!

Two meals for $6.00

...and, I thought if was Saturday until noon--when Pearl called me and we talked a bit.  GEEZ!!!
===================================================
Kind of sad today--missing Freddy.  It always happens when I sit down to watch the Tiger Baseball games. We never missed a one.  Yelled at the players--cheered the players--groaned when Valverde came out to pitch--Freddy sitting there in his Brandon Inge shirt and me in my Granderson shirt.  I don't miss Fred for the help he could do around here, because the last couple of years, he really couldn't help.  I DO miss his cooking and I DO miss his loving to go grocery shopping.  He'd fill up that dang motorized cart he had to take, until the silly thing would barely move to get up to the check-out lane.  Then when he got home, he'd carry in all the groceries.  I couldn't with my bad hip--it might take him an hour, with rests in between loads, but he always kept on until he got it all in. Then I'd put it away. 

I just found a widow's blog.  Her hubby died the same month as Fred.  I love the way she writes.  She has that sort of weird, at times morbid sense of humor that I have and so enjoy.  She and I seem to be doing pretty well--compared to some on the Widow's Speak Up blog I use to read, until it depressed me so much I had to stop!  Some of them have made their sorrow a career, it seems to me.  We have few years left--we can't undo what has happened to us.  We need to find what joy there is left in our lives!!

She wrote--"something is missing"--yeah--I can relate to that!!




















8 comments:

  1. Your sister is very talented - the sign is really pretty! I can completely relate to your desire to have a decent pillow. At the moment I'm getting on well with a goose down one. It's very supportive because it has a core of heavier feathers. I'd always been a bit suspicious of feather pillows - but this one is nice! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the humidity stays away for a while now. I love having the windows open! Thanks for the product reviews. We love that pocket hose and I am going to order those sheets as soon as I am done with this comment! Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo of Fred and your cat! That cat has attitude!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and finding my "sort of weird, and sometimes morbid sense of humor." I really do try to accept widowhood as just another stage of life, not a thing we have to carry around like a bag of ash for the rest of our lives. I had 42 years with my husband and will away miss him BUT he wouldn't want me to spend the rest of my life making mourning a full time career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you and your new friend for, while missing your loves, you don't dwell on the grief as some do.

    Love the stone Susan painted for you. Yes, she sure is talented. And, if she ever needs a tractor driver she has you. :)

    My brother bought that hose, and he likes it also. When (if) we ever get settled, I'll get one also.

    Have a good day today, Judy. I'm about to sign out for the day, and read! Just me and the dog. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with digging up that mound. What a mess, huh?
    I cannot wait to receive my set of sheets. I ordered them at the beginning of this week. So happy you love them.
    Miserable weather here, too. Monsoon-like rains, high humidity and heat. I feel terrible for all the tourists that are here preparing for the 4th, as there is no end in sight for this weather. We are laying low and playing with Ms G....going out for Vietnamese food in a bit. YUM.
    I love your reviews.
    That photo of Fred is the sweetest thing, my favorite one with dear Buddy. I am so sorry you are missing him so much. So hard. Your wonderful spirit is healing in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love nomorerack.com. I got a gorgeous red leather purse there for 30 bucks. I also got some "hotel" bath towels that are fabulous. Really nice quality things, very reasonable.

    Try a memory foam pillow. We love ours, and our mattress and Martin and I can't agree on sleeping surfaces ever at all.

    Love your sister's garden plaque. Your garden is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your perspective and your humor. Thanks for a smile today. I can feel your love for Fred. He was a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy your pix. Like you, I think photos add a lot to a blog. It's always interesting to see as well as read about what's happening in someone's life.

    As for batteries all going bad at the same time, I can relate with all my appliances conking out at the same time.

    I think new pillows and mattresses are among the most difficult things to choose. Also, I learned from my sister if you take your pillow with you, you will sleep better when you travel.

    Love that pic of Fred and his best bud.

    The slate that your sister painted for you is pretty.
    Bella Rum

    ReplyDelete