title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, July 14, 2014

The Hands of Time




Balisha wrote a post about her hands.  It got me to thinking.

We usually don't take much notice of how our hands looks until one day--you just glance down and there are your Mother's hands!  How did that happen?  The wrinkles.  The loose skin.  

I remember sitting on my grandma's lap and pulling the skin up into a peak, just below her middle knuckle  That skin stayed that way for a long time, it seemed.  I asked her once why it was like that and she said, "Because I am old."

Over the years, I have tried that with my own left hand and was shocked one day when the skin stayed up into that peak for quite a while--until I clenched my hand.  I am old!

I wish I had been more aware of the hand phenomena--I would love to have a yearly picture of my left hand--from about 45 on.  To see the subtle changes, instead of waking up one morning and it seemed my hands had gotten old over night.

I have long fingers--I used to be able to span an octave on the piano, until arthritis set into my thumb and started to draw it into the palm of my hand.

For as "big" as I am, I wear a small ring size.  A size 6.  I have noticed that on my right hand, my rings are now size 7's--on my left ring finger, a size 6 is a bit loose.  Isn't that weird.  It's the arthritis in the joints--which is worse in my right hand.

Balisha wrote of all the things her hands have experienced over the years--I share many of those things.

I used to have a heart-shaped age spot on my hand, but now it has eased into a plain old circle.  When I first noticed it, one day at work, I outlined it with a pen, I thought it was so cool.  Now, I have so many brown age spots that I can't even count--that a gallon of Procelana wouldn't help--that are difficult to even see under all the wrinkles and cross hatch marks.

Look at  your hands and stop and think of all the things they have touched since you were born.  It is amazing.

I like my hands, even though they are no longer pretty.  They are still useful, to a certain degree.  I hope they keep working until the day, they are laid, one on top of the other as I lay in my casket.  I hope the mortician has a nice make-up to put on them so they don't look so old!!




When I view my left hand from a side position, that's when I really see the wrinkles, the cross hatched marks, the knot of arthritis that is growing on the first knuckle of my index finger.
Not a pretty sight.


Then, of course my poor beat up right hand.  The thumb being pulled in by arthritis, as the little finger seems to be pushing outward and then, the poor 3/4 index finger.  I can't grip a pencil or pen, I can't open up a jar, BUT--this right hand still has a strong grip when I shake someone's hand!  

6 comments:

  1. I like my hands too because every time I look at them I see my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have pretty hands, Judy. And, your nails always look so nice.

    Reminding me of one time when my nephew was young, he said to my mom
    "Grandma your skin is mishy." :)

    Speaking of age spots, I was somewhere the other day and had to use the ladie's room. I glanced in the mirror and oh my word, there were SO many age/sun spots on my face. I guess our lighting here is bad because I really can't see them here like that. :)

    Yes, I guess eventually we start to see our mothers and grandmother's skin. My hands stay beat up all the time with bruising especially after working in the yard. The baby aspirin.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, and you have beautiful hands...the story with my hands is so similar. The thumb on my left hand is pulled in and that hand also has a huge swollen joint at the base of the index finger. It aches like a toothache.
    Nice you and Balisha wrote about hands....I think many will identify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I'm so glad you wrote this and linked us to Balisha's blog about her hands. On July 16, 2011, I wrote about my hands but didn't go into as much detail as you did. I think a lot of my skin problems were passed down from Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the skin on my arms that looks so OLD! We do all take our hands for granted, don't we.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hands look much like yours. I have long fingers like my grandmother - my mother's mother. I think I've mentioned before that you look much like my grandmother when she was your age. Maybe we're related. :)

    ReplyDelete