title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, October 5, 2015

Trying To Do The Side-Step

Jan--no I'm not writing a book about my neighbor's.  Just posting about them on here exhausts me!
============================

Pearl's daughter gave her a lap-top over two years ago, when Pearl's old PC died.  She showed Pearl how to do everything, but...it had Windows 8 on it and it was a bit confusing, PLUS, the desktop had different icons on it than Pearl's old computer so she didn't like it.  Never could understand it enough to use it and she wanted to give it back.  

Pearl's daughter would not take it back and said, "You either learn to use it or go without a computer."

Unbeknownst to me.  So, when Pearl got to wanting another PC, I suggested she go along with me when I ordered mine and see if she wanted to look at them and perhaps get one.  Which, she did.  Meanwhile, the Lap-top has lain on top of the entertainment center for the last two years.  Gathering dust as neither Mom or daughter will give in.

So--for this reason, Pearl's daughter has been a bit miffed at me since Pearl got her new PC.  I recently found out from Pearl, because she knew not what she said, that a couple of times, the daughter has changed things on the PC and when Pearl tried to log in and her PC wouldn't, her daughter told her, "Call Judy.  She can fix it."

A bit of sabotage to make me look the dummy.
<I quite frequently look the dummy.  I don't need someone setting me up>

This morning, Pearl's daughter called me.  "The lady from the computer store called Mom and got her all confused.  She needs to retrieve Mom's password and she can't seem to do it."

"Oh."

"If she was worth anything, she ought to know how to retrieve a password. How long have you been doing business with them?  They don't sound very knowledge to me!"
<ah yes, my fault again>

"I don't know what all is involved in retrieving a password, so I can't tell you what the problem might be."

Three seconds after Marge hung up, Pearl called.

"That Heidi over there can't seem to put a simple icon on my desk-top!"

"Which icon?"

"She is trying to put an e-mail icon on my  desktop so all I have to do is click it and it will go straight to my e-mail account."

"Your g-mail account.  Right?"

"NO!  My E-MAIL account!  Clean out your ears!"

"What problem is she having?"

"She needs my password."

"Oh. oh.  You don't remember, right?"

"That's right, so I told her to just put a new password on that account and I will worry about it later."

"Okay."

"But, she says, she can't change my password because she doesn't know the answers to security."


"Security answers?"

"Yes.  Security stuff that she doesn't know the answers.  How dumb can she be?"

"I'll give her a call and call you back."
================
So I did.  Heidi cannot access Pearl's g-mail account to make a shortcut icon unless she has Pearl's g-mail password.  Pearl can't seem to come up with a password.  Heidi tried to set up a new password, but she needs to know the answer to Pearl's security question.  Like, "your mother's maiden name," or "your favorite pet".  

"I will have her daughter call you.  She set up the account, I can only assume she will know the answer to the security answer."
<and you know what happens when you assume>

I called Pearl back and explained as best I could.

"Well, why didn't Heidi ask me?  I know my mother's maiden name."

"No--it might not be that one.  (deep breath) When you set up a new account--like we did for your on-line banking? Remember.  There are four or five security questions to choose from.  You have to pick one.  We don't know which one Marge picked to answer."

"Well, I'll have Marge call her when she gets out of work."

"Good idea."

"This is getting ridiculous!"

"Yes it is!"
<and I wasn't referring to Heidi>
========================
I managed to get my bedroom cleaned up for fall/winter, curtains and bedding washed, mirror cleaned, dusted, vacuumed, but I did not get my closet emptied out to swap my clothes and thus, did not get my hot water heater drained and flushed!

New filter in the air cleaner and the furnace.  Two loads of laundry done.

Dar walked in.

"Hi.  Guess what?  I bought a Smart phone.  Man, it is sumpthin."

"I've heard they are."

"I thought maybe you could help me program it?"

"Ah--I don't know anything about cell phones.  You better have your brother do it for you."

"Oh.  The guy said it was easy-peasy.  Just like a computer and you know computers."
<no, no, no!>

"Not that much.  You better have your brother do it for you."

Then she switched gears and told me she has to have a tooth extracted tomorrow and by the time she got done talking about it, she was near hysteria.  She stood up and started pacing.

"I can't stand the shots!  I get so nervous...I get nauseous."

"Which oral surgeon are you going to?"

"I'm not.  My regular dentist is going to do it."

"Oh."

"Why?"

"Well...when I had my last two teeth pulled, I went to an oral surgeon and she put me out.  I didn't get any shots."

"Oh.  I can't tolerate gas!"

"No.  It's not gas.  It's the same sedative they use.... in your arm....the same stuff they use when you have your colonoscopy.  It's great!"

She sat down.

"Oh.  I wonder why he didn't give me that choice?"

"Well, the regular dentist is not allowed to use a sedative like that.  It has to be an oral surgeon."

"No, I mean, why didn't he ask me if I wanted an oral surgeon to do it?"

"Probably because HE wants the money?"

"Well, when I get home, I'm going to work in my garden the rest of the afternoon.  I gotta get those Hosta's dug up."

"Ah...I don't think that is a very good idea.  You probably shouldn't be bending over or exerting your heart after you have dental surgery."

"Oh, I used to get a tooth pulled and go back to work!"

"Used to?  When was that?"

"Oh...I don't know.  When I was in my forties."

"Okay...so that was thirty years ago and you weren't on a blood thinner with a heart problem!"
=======================

This is how Jackie's son cuts back her perennials.  With the weed whip--right down to the ground.






When my sister and BIL came and cut down my dying Rose of Sharon bush out back, it was lovely of them.  It was also 10 days before the yard waste people come to pick up.  I had my bags of garden clippings too.  We were expecting rain, so I loaded the bags in my wheel barrow and put them in my shed.  This afternoon, I remembered to get them out in preparation for tomorrow's pick-up.  YAY--at least I remembered.  Will be glad to see this mess gone!
As per the yard waste people's Law:  All branches cut into 4 feet lengths and tied with twine and a twine handle to pick them up.  

We are such Conservative, do it by the book people. 


7 comments:

  1. I feel so sorry for the computer lady having to deal with three people for one computer. What a touchy situation for you to be in...between Pearl and her daughter. I know it was accidental on your part but obviously the daughter doesn't know that.

    When you write about your neighbors I get so nervous about me moving to more densely populate community like a condo. I don't want a Pearl or Dar in my future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may be your neighbor's, but you don't have to be involved with them. Of course, when you first meet these kinds of people, you don't realize that they are nutsy-cuckoo and going to drive you in the same direction. :-)

      Delete
  2. Rich weed whips my hostas every year, too. Down to the ground! Doesn't seem to hurt them because they come back bigger every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known this. To think of the back-breaking hours I spent outside, cutting each perennial back, one stem at a time!

      Delete
    2. In your quest to help Pearl, you may be just confusing her. I've taught computer classes to seniors. They are easily intimidated. Best to keep it simple. It's okay to call it e-mail. The g-mail is just the name of the ISP. If she had AOL, you would probably just call it e-mail. Just don't try to give too much information at a time. Good Luck. bkj

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness!
    Judy, Judy ~ you are trying to help someone who doesn't get it, but you know that already. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, Judy. What a mess to have to deal with. You need to play dumb from now on. :/

    ReplyDelete