title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, October 24, 2015

(My) Gerber Baby



This baby was born on a beautiful, sunny, 72 degree day.  Nearly a month late; when Momma became worried, the doctor told Momma she had “figured” incorrectly.  “There is no such thing as a ten month baby.  Just let Mother Nature take her course.” 
<I knew I had gotten pregnant New Year's Eve.>

So on that beautiful October day, baby was making her wish to be born apparent. Daddy and Momma got in the car and meandered to the hospital, taking the long way to enjoy the view of the autumn leaves on the trees.  Momma got checked in and settled.  The nurse said, “You are having back labor and what we call a “nester”.  It’s going to be quite a few hours.” 

3:30 pm--After an hour of nothing happening, Daddy decided to go to the cafeteria to get some lunch.  Momma decided to roll over on her back to take a nap. Sun streamed in the window, which had been opened to let in the warm breeze.

3:42 pm--Baby decided this was the perfect time, with no audience around, to sneak into the world.  Momma rang the nurse alert bell, nurse came in and heard baby crying, pulled back the sheet and said, “Oh my.  There’s a baby!  You had the baby…all by yourself?” Momma said, “I guess so.  I didn’t see any stork fly out the window.”   She acted like she was scolding me.

4:15--Doctor arrived, got his pen light out to check baby’s eyes, which were open and BROWN and following the light, then he checked her mouth, which had two tiny white teeth on the bottom row and doctor pronounced, “I think I now believe in ten month babies!”  Daddy came back up the hallway and said, “I hear a baby—real close by.”  Nurse stopped him at the door and said, “Yes.  Born in this labor room.  It’s a girl, but you can’t go in just yet.” 

4:45--Baby was taken to the nursery.  The nurse stopped in the hall to show Daddy.  Daddy came into room and said, “Oh my gosh.  You had the baby in here?”  Momma said, “Yeah, she just came—really fast.  I’m still kind of in shock and shaky.  Whew!  That was really something!”


Daddy sat down hard on the bedside chair and he and Momma just stared at each other and then they started laughing.  

Today, on her 54th birthday, her hubs got her a green and white wrist corsage and they went up to Michigan State (their alma mater) to watch the football game.

Tonight, on Face Book, there is a video that Karen's youngest son Stephen made for her.  He actually got the basketball coach Tom Izzo--world famous TOM IZZO!!!--to personally wish Karen a Happy Birthday, talked about her being an MSU alumni and how pleased he is that she attends most of the basketball home games. Then he went on to say how proud she should be of her "hard working" son and what a great job Stephen does in the IZZONE (the basketball cheering section).

I saw it and just about fell on the floor!! 

Obviously, Stephen won "Favorite Child of the Year" with that one!!

6 comments:

  1. What a nice memory and interesting 'birth' story. Glad your daughter got a nice surprise at the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing she didn't become an 11th month baby; she'd probably been born talking. She sure was a pretty baby, Judy.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great memory, Judy! Love the photo because she DOES look like a Gerber baby!! Such fun! I wonder why doctors don't listen when we know our bodies pretty well? Still happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful baby and sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great baby-birthday story. My son, our youngest, was one who caused much consternation between me and my doctor (who had delivered all three of Andrew's big sisters). We argued throughout my pregnancy about when I had become pregnant and when the baby was due. At long last, my insistence that the baby was overdue by at least two weeks prompted the doctor to schedule me for a fetal stress test. On the way to the hospital, my water broke. He was born that evening, my biggest baby and the one who came the fastest: one hour and twenty minutes from first labor pang to first cry. But that's not as good as your story! Well done, and happy birthday to the lovely Karen.

    ReplyDelete