title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Where Does The Time Go?

We got about 2 inches of snow during this night and this morning.  Pretty--it doesn't bother me, I like snow.  Merle quickly dispatched what snow there was on my driveway.

Here it is, 10 days until the end of January or 21 days into the new year.  Where does the time go?  How does it go by so fast.  It is all relative, isn't it?  When we are little, a year seems like such a long time--we don't even think about it, we aren't concerned with time at all.  Except, it seems a really long time between birthday presents and Christmas presents.

Even when I was married and having babies every year, it seemed time went as it was supposed to.  It didn't start flying by until the kids started graduating and leaving home--then I'd look back and wonder at how fast the years had gone by and that my kids, didn't seem old enough for all that was going on in their lives.

Now of course, the only thing that makes time drag is when something bad has happened.  It takes forever, to make it through the grief of losing someone we love.  It feels like we are in the dentist chair or the hospital for ages--when it might only be hours or a few days.  It feels to me, right now, that Jennifer has been angry with me for ten years, but it's only two years.

Then, I look at my Grand Babes and it all hits me--time has really flown by!  

This precious, funny, lovely Christian girl flew out early this morning to Guatemala.  She will be gone on a mission for three months.  Helping to build homes, create vegetable gardens, put in fresh water wells and teaching little children and helping in a medical clinic.





  Off she goes into her life and all Grandma has to worry about is: planes falling from the sky--hurricanes--earthquakes--kidnappers--rapists--snakes--typhoid--ebola and cholera!
============================
Today, her older brother turns 21.  He so wanted to grow taller than Grandma.  He was a chubby little kid all his life and then, suddenly at 15, he told his Mom, "I'm only going to eat when I'm hungry. I'm not going to eat snacks and stuff just because I'm bored."  By sixteen, he was lean and taller than Grandma and now, he's 6'4" and a pre-med student at Michigan State.


















What do I worry about with this young man?  Not a darn thing!!!

Karen and Mark have instilled in their kids such strong Christian values.  Showed them how to always help people, by taking them to the Rescue Mission every Thanksgiving to feed people, ever since the kids were four years old.  By going into Detroit inner city and cleaning up junk filled vacant lots, every summer for the last four years.  By letting them explore and take risks.

I am truly blessed with those five Grand Babes, but boy oh boy, they sure make the swift passage of time--IN MY FACE!!!







7 comments:

  1. You have super beautiful grand kids, both inside and out. With any luck you'll be around to see them get married and have their first babies.

    When we're young a year is a bigger fraction of our lives than a year is when we're our age. Time does move faster the older we get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen and her husband are good examples for your grand babes. I always enjoy hearing what they're up to.

    They are all very nice looking like their grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen and Mark sound like such super parents. Wonder where they got that from?

    What a wonderful journey these kids are on. Your grand babes sure aren't letting moss grow under their feet. Then again, who appreciates moss at their age?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you having those amazing young people in your life, and it is clear that you have played an important role in making them who they are.
    That snow is coming our way tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be so PROUD! I can't wait to see how my littles develop!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Share all of your thoughts
    We have so many blessings
    No snow in my area as of yet :)
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must be so proud of those grands and your daughter and son-in-law for raising them so well. Time does fly!

    ReplyDelete