title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, January 15, 2015

January 15th

Three years ago today--it was a Saturday.
Fred was going to celebrate his 70th birthday.
We looked over a couple of places and chose one in Brighton, to have his birthday party.

I made the invitations and decided to mail them out on January 2nd--a Monday.

His family from Florida was going to make the trip. His Michigan kids and all my family too.

I had checked with everyone to see if they could make it and had mailed out "Save the Date" cards in mid-November.

The room we rented at the restaurant had a fireplace.  White linens on the tables, a really nice place.

What no one knew was, they were in for a surprise.

Fred had asked his minister friend in Ann Arbor if he could also attend the party.  We were going to be married.  All our family members would be in one place at one time--perfect.

So I wouldn't forget, I put the invitations in the mail box early New Year's morning.  Shortly after I came back into the house, the phone rang.  It was Fred asking if I could come down to the hospital as soon as possible.  There were things he wanted me to bring from home.  

He wanted his own Bi-Pap machine that he used every night, because he couldn't sleep with the hospital one.  He wanted his cough drops, a new razor blade, his slippers and his sweater.  He said he thought he might be coming home on the third.

Well, you know what happened 90 minutes later on that New Year's day--2012.

When I got home that afternoon, I remembered to pull the invitations out of the mail box and as I walked into my home, I threw them in the garbage pail.  

The next day, before I went to the funeral home to make the arrangements, I called the restaurant and canceled the room for the party.

Oh, what might have been.

Happy Birthday, Sweetheart.  I will see you in a little while.


He played softball 3 nights a week





Shortly after he moved in.
May 21, 2005            









His two daughters who live in Florida, their hubs and his three grandchildren


His two Michigan kids                                                                                 




His Michigan daughter and his grandson                  







June 21, 2005
Our engagement photo
Yes, we had a ballgame and afterwards, left for Wisconsin to visit his Mother.




His 15 year old Black Water Spaniel, Tootz.



 Christmas, 2011--a week before he died

One day, we will be near each other again--forever.



6 comments:

  1. What a bittersweet post today, Judy! I hadn't heard the story about the party and surprise wedding before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo from Christmas 2011 must have pride of place in your home.... there's some much love shining out of it! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard the plan either. Bless you, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Judy. Now you've made me cry. What a special relationship you had with Fred. I knew you were planning to marry, but I didn't realize it was a secret. How romantic you guys were. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! My heart is breaking for you. I had no idea, he died, just as you were about to publicly commit to love and cherish. I am so sorry death claimed him before that sweet moment.

    I am struck personally by the dates. Fred was one year younger than my husband. Mine born in 1941. Your love bloomed the summer I had lost mine. Somehow, this gives me strength that the love I lost was recovered in your love. I'm so gad you had this time with Fred. What a sweet soul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were so lucky to have found each other later in life and it's just so sad that you lost him so suddenly. You sure looked happy together!

    ReplyDelete