title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Good Times

Excuse me for a moment.  I don't have Flo's e-mail addy, so I have to connect with her here.


The only way you can train a squirrel is with behavior modification.  This stuff not only is mixed in with my bird seed, but I also spray it on my copper silo feeder, that is just like yours.  You can buy it on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Coles-FS16-Flaming-Squirrel-16-Ounce/dp/B003XR9QWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421877693&sr=8-1&keywords=squirrel+away&pebp=1421877681178&peasin=B003XR9QWA

Once they wrap their little squirrel lips around bird seed treated with this--they will not come back to the bird feeders.  Actually, it's kind of fun to see them, when they first get a taste, fly off the bird feeder and try to cool off their little rodent mouths in the snow!!!  It doesn't bother the birds at all--they seem to like it.  

NOTE:  Wear gloves when you use it AND wash your hands after you take the gloves off OR, you will invariably get it in your eye, nose, mouth or, when you go to the bathroom and wipe--well, it is quite warming on parts of your body you don't want warmed!!!

The squirrels will really appreciate the corn and peanuts you put out for them IN THEIR OWN SPOT.  I see my squirrels look up from THEIR feed box and eye the bird feeders nearby, then sort of shake their heads as if to say, "NOPE!  Ain't going near there ever again."
=======================
Maddie arrived safe and sound in Guatemala--thank you God.

Karen and Mark went up to East Lansing to take Stephen out for supper and his first beer.  Karen said to the waiter, "You gotta card him to make sure he's old enough.  Today is his twenty-first birthday."

The waiter said, "Nah, he looks old enough."  Karen said she was trying to embarrass Stephen, but it didn't work.  At least he got his beer free.

Then they all went to the basketball game and Stephen sat, cheering in the IZZONE.  MSU barely beat Penn State--barely.

Karen posted this on Face Book.


Guess who's 21? Happy golden birthday golden boy! —
I commented back and asked her what her excuse was for drinking a beer--"you're not 21."
===================
Dar came over last night.  She drove in and came in before she went home.  Semi hysterical, but more tired than anything.  I actually felt really sorry for her.  

She spent ten hours, registering her youngest son into an alcohol, drug rehab place.  I think he finally hit rock bottom, because he went in voluntarily.  He was drinking a gallon of Vodka a day!  How can you drink that much liquid--let alone alcohol?

His blood alcohol level was at 3.  When it gets to 4, I guess there is a great possibility you will die.  It's what caused his first heart attack, a year ago.

He is in a hospital for two weeks--where they give him alcohol, but taper off.  If he quit cold turkey, that could send him into cardiac arrest.

Then he will go to the rehab place for three or four months and then...he will go to live in a half-way house for a year.

She seems more relieved, than anything else.  She stopped enabling him about four months ago.  No one in the family will help him anymore--which is kind of what you have to do with people like that.  At Thanksgiving time, he had visited her brother and after he left, her brother found that an envelope he had with $600.00 cash in his desk drawer, was gone.

Her son confessed today that he stole it and used it to buy a "professional girl" for an all nighter.  He said it was a waste of money because he was so drunk he couldn't have sex so he and the girl sat up and watched TV and he fell asleep on her shoulder.  (I'll bet the girl wished she had more customers like that)!

Hopefully this time, it will work.  He has never tried total rehab before--only tried AA meetings and they did no good.

I also went up to Pearl's and got on the phone with the bank customer service and fixed it all nice and new so she can get in to check the balance in her checking account.  She was in a panic, because they get their SS today and she ALWAYS has to check and make sure the money was deposited.  

That's something I have never worried about.  I guess I just assume my SS will be in the bank when it is supposed to be in the bank.  I asked her if in 15 years it ever happened that they didn't get their money on time and she said "No."

So I wondered why she thought she has to check it out every month.  Who knows?

When I first arrived there, she and Merle were having a "discussion" about her latest on-line purchases.  So I just headed to the back bedroom where the computer is and stayed out of their way.

She's so nervous of how they are going to get along if Merle doesn't work this summer and/or doesn't get unemployment.  Instead of socking some money away, she just keeps on buying things she sees on TV or in a catalog.

I don't know and she and I have had "the talk" about her shopping, so...just like with her health--I ain't chasing those monkey's anymore.



8 comments:

  1. The situation with Dar's son is very sad and I can see why it would upset her so much. A mother has to wonder what she must have done to contribute to his becoming an alcohol addicted person. And even if the answer (in her mind) is 'nothing' it still can't be easy to watch a child go through all that to get clean again.

    Fighting with squirrels is fun, isn't it. You've got a solution that really works for a lot of people.

    With FaceBook and computers, you'll probably be able to keep up with your family's activities in Guatemala. Won't that be nice!

    Have you ever tried the wine samples at Meijer where I know you shop? They will card YOU. They have a strict policy that everyone gets carded no matter how old they look. The first time it happened to me I thought it was the funniest thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all goes well for Dar's son... he has an immense mountain to climb. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry for Dar and her son. A wicked disease that takes a strong will to overcome.

    So glad Maddie arrived safely. That's a huge relief for all of you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who says nothing happens in our little run of the mill lives!?

    The hardest part for Dar and family ... is staying on their own side of the street when he is out. All those years of being a nurturing Mom makes you want to dash in and help. I hope they get family counseling ... it was wonderful for me. I still have a cheat sheet of things to SAY without giving money or enabling in another way.

    I wonder if the flaming squirrel stuff will work on the free roaming cats here in Meowi ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. too funny about the squirrels! you should video one of them tasting the tainted food lol

    alcoholism and drugs are such a scourge on humanity I hate them

    great picture he's handsome!

    some people just are OCD I think I know people that do the same thing about checking their account lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, now you've got me thinking about the squirrels. I remember when you posted about this before. I think I'm going to have to try it.

    Some people are really susceptible to online shopping and HSN and QVC etc. It's so easy. You can do it without leaving the house, and they make it so comfortable for people. I've really enjoyed January and plan to enjoy February... spending NO money. It's so easy to abstain from shopping when the weather is like this and everyone has settled down after the busy holidays.

    Sorry about Dar's son. Such a way to waste a life. I hope this works for him.

    Now I'm off to read your previous post. See ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! And a very happy birthday to Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flo here. Ohh, thank you. I'm so glad you wrote what works for these critters! It will be such fun to spray this on the feeder and then watch what my little robbers do. Just ordered it : -)
    Expect a squirrel report mid-week LOL


    ReplyDelete