title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, January 19, 2015

Icy

It misted during the night, so the street out in front is a glaze with ice ruts.  We all thought this street would be clear all winter, considering the fact that the manager's parents live across the way--not so!  Just a little dab of salt would have helped tremendously.  It did get up 30 today.

At 12:45, who know who walked in my door.  

"Oh--I just remembered, you watch your program this time of day, don't you?"

"Yeah--it comes on at one."

"Well, I just had to get out of the house!"

Now usually I say, "that's okay," and I turn the TV off (because she has done this several times before).  Well, today, I was not in the mood, so I just muted the TV, as she took off her coat, lit up her cigarette and proceeded to tell me all about HER life.

At one, I clicked on my channel and un-muted the TV.  She got up and left.  and..........

I have felt guilty all the rest of the day.  It was so impolite of me and it was not at all nice!
====================

At two, I slipped and slide up to Pearl's to see if I could fix the mess on her computer.  She DID call the bank, and wrote down what all they told her to do, but, "I still can't get into my bank accounts."

I followed her instructions she had written down and that, of course, got me no where.  The bank was closed today, so tomorrow, I am going back and I AM GOING to be the one who calls the customer service and talks to the tech.

Merle wasn't home so Pearl and I had a chance for a long, heart-to-heart.  I have been wanting too, but afraid I would make her mad, but decided..today was a good time when he wasn't there.

"How's your new arthritis medicine doing?"  I asked.

"It started out helping, but now, it's not any better than the other one I was taking."

"How many pills do you take now?"

"Only three.  Twice a day. Celebrex, Tramadol and Advil."

"Gosh!  You are healthy as a horse!  No blood pressure medicine.  No cholesterol medicine.  Wow!"

"I'm not at all healthy!  I can hardly walk.  I will be in a wheel chair come spring!"

"Oh.  Are you looking forward to that?"

"Looking forward....what do you mean.  Why would I look forward to something like that?"

"Well, you keep saying that, like you are anticipating it and you aren't doing anything to keep from ending up there, so I just wondered.  Apparently you've made up your mind."

"What do you expect me to do?"

"Physical therapy."

"That probably would hurt."

"At first...it might, but in the long run--maybe six weeks, you wouldn't hurt as much.  The more you use those muscles and joints, the less they are going to hurt.  All you do is sit in your chair all day.  You've heard the old phrase, 'Use it or lose it'?  The less you use your joints, the more apt they are to freeze up and then you won't be able to use them at all."

"I don't just sit in this chair all day!  I get up and cook and do laundry and walk around the house."

"Do you go up and down stairs?"

"Look around.  You see any stairs?"

"I'm just telling you Pearl, because I am worried about you.  You aren't that old and yet...you've given up.  You think Merle is going to like having to take care of you?  He's not really that type of man, I don't think.  What if he were to die.  Are you going to a nursing home because you can't walk?"

"I know.  You've told me I should do therapy, but..........."

"Just ask Doc John.  He will get you a referral to a really good place.  You could go up to the hospital, I hear they have a good physical therapy office.  It's only half a mile away.  Now is the perfect time.  Go the rest of the winter and when spring comes, you will be able to get outside and exercise."

"Oh...I hate to exercise!"

"I'm not talking about going to a gym.  I'm talking about walking.  Walking is the best exercise---especially for people our age.  Start out walking twenty steps and then turn and go back home.  The next day, you walk twenty-two steps and turn around.  Every day, you add another step or two and pretty soon, you can walk down to the lake.  That's how I got my strength back after my surgery.  Remember?  I walked up here--fifty steps.  The next day you saw me go passed, fifty-five steps and then turn and come back to visit you."

"Yeah and in a month, you would walk so far that I kept looking out the window to see what was taking you so long to come back."

"I know you can't walk outside right now...it is way too slippery, but...physical therapy and then this spring....who knows."

"Yeah...I guess, but I need to lose weight first."

"You aren't going to lose weight sitting in this house all winter!"

"I might...a little."

"Physical therapy would also help you lose weight."

"Oh...I don't know."
=================================
There are people that don't want to help themselves and there is not a dang thing you can do to help them.

I'm done.  

When the wheel chair arrives she can then say, "See, I told you so.  I was right."

  

9 comments:

  1. Which soap do you watch at 1:00? I'm catch 'The Bold and the Beautiful' a couple times a week. I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about with Dar today. She was the one being rude to come over when she knows your story is on. Maybe next time she'll remember that she won't have your full attention at 1:00.

    Do you think Pearl's arthritis is bad enough to have bone-on-bone knees? If so, that really is painful. Medication doesn't doesn't help all that much and exercise isn't going to help it either. There are shots that help for a temporary fix...a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch Days of our Lives--have from the first show--50 years now, LOL. I used to tape it when I worked and watched it that night.
      Pearl has had MRI's by the ortho doc--no bone-on-bone problems. She also has had the series of DepoMedrol/Cortisone shots, they did no good. She isn't diabetic, but she has neuropathy in her feet and legs. Let's face it--she 5'2" and weighs 200#. Her whole body is going to hurt as long as she carries all that weight and she won't be able to lose it, if she doesn't move. I think it is a lost cause!

      Delete
    2. You're probably right about it being a lost cause, especially since she seem so willing to accept a wheelchair in her future.

      Delete
  2. Pearl's on her own journey and I'm proud of you for saying your peace and letting go of the results as much as you have. We all know we can't force a person to take responsibility for their own health. We all know what we SHOULD do to maximize our health. It's not like we're living in the dark ages, when people didn't know excess weight causes problems. It's when these same people who cause their own problems then inflict their caregiving demands on me that I get angry. I don't want to give up me to be 'loved' by them, when I look at the kind of love they're giving themselves. It's entirely different if an outside circumstance or a tough roll of the dice leaves someone in the lurch. Then of course I want to help them! Either way, I grieve because I lose the relationship I had. Perhaps with Pearl, you can define new terms for the relationship, so that you can live and prosper.

    I see no reason either to feel guilty unmuting your soap opera. Um, who is being inconsiderate here? This hour is sacred to you. It's almost like Dar is a kid competing for your attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good friend, and to be honest with your friends is a real blessing. I think you did exactly the right thing with Dar. She probably didn't think anything about it - and if you weren't going to pay attention to her, she didn't want to stay.
    Regarding Dar, I've often wondered if she just wants someone to listen to her yapping, and you are an easy target. Good for you for going on with your day. Don't feel guilty! That's your old tape playing in you head - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, so far Neurontin helps a lot with my legs, but then of course when I can I like to work in the yard. I hope Pearl will take your advice.

    I watch Y&R and like you, used to tape it when I was working. But, lately I've also discovered I can catch it at 7 if I miss it during the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am living proof that WALKING helps arthritic knees. If I do not walk, the next day everything is stiff AND painful. The class put on by the Arthritis Foundation is what I did. You measure your progress against only yourself. But my Mom was the same ... just sat in a recliner all day and all evening. Her idea of exercise was to walk to the bathroom a few times each day! I need to keep an eye on myself because I am still not walking a mile or two on a regular basis!!!

    Maybe you can go to their website and look up Walk With Ease.

    You need a cool new sign on your front door that says "NO TALKING or VISITING 1pm until 2pm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so frustrating. You are a good friend and made an effort. There's nothing else you can do. Pearl has to want to help herself.

    Maybe Dar will learn not to visit you until 2:00 o'clock.

    ReplyDelete