title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

We Never Know Who We Might Impact

A pretty nice day, after the humidity went away


I have thought about this all day.  I was amazed and dumbstruck by Vickie's comment yesterday.  This silly little blog and my inane words somehow helped her in a time of need.  How weird is that?  Or...was it a God Whisper that took my words to her?  I believe in that sort of thing.  Too many "happenings" would never have happened, if God had not had a hand in it.  Thank you for telling me that Vickie.  You have no idea what an impact your comment has had on my mind!

I need to be more careful what I write, I think.
=============================
I have found something like that in my own reading of other's blogs.  A chance posting they made and I read it and think, "OHMYGOSH!  I feel the same way!"  Or they will post something that lifts my spirit and adds joy to this lonely life.  All the bad stuff on the Internet, but this...this is the good stuff and thank goodness for the Internet, or we would never have this close communication and connection.


I did something tonight that none of you would or could guess in a gazillion years!!!  I went out to supper with Dar!

She was here last night until nearly 10:00.  Her son had called and left a message yesterday, around noon, that he was done!  "This time, Mom, I am really done.  I just realized that the reason I have no friends and no one in the family wants to be with me is because, I am a flighty, nasty, stinking drunk.  I just threw out a bottle of just opened Gin and I.  Am. Done!"

She was elated, but by the time she had an opportunity to return his call...she could tell he was drinking again.

She came over here--all hyped up, not knowing what to do and while she was here, he kept texting her.  About, how no one in the family would answer his phone calls today.  How she didn't love him enough to call him back (she was at work).    She texted him back about how she did love him...all the family loved him.  They felt so bad for him...on and on.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and I said, "Quit answering his texts!  He is trying to make his drinking all your fault and...you are playing right into his hands and enabling him."

"But--doesn't he need to know that I love him?"

"You already told him that."

Then he texted back, "I've got my hand on the cap of a bottle of Gin.  You wouldn't call me back.  You don't love me, so I am going to drink!"

She looked at me, "What should I do?"

"Tell him, 'Go to your AA meeting...right now.'"

So she did and he quit texting her.

We talked for another hour.  I came in the computer room and we searched on the Internet to find an Al Anon meeting for her!

Then her phone beeped again and he was texting her, telling her how he just had sex with a girl...going into minute', filthy details.

"Turn your phone off!" I said.

"What if someone calls me?"

"It's nine-thirty at night.  It will go to voice mail and you can read it when you get home."

We talked for a bit more, about enabling, what it is, what she needs to do, on and on.
==============
This morning, she came over around 10:00 and invited me out to supper tonight.

"I owe you a lot.  You got me through last night and I feel much better this morning.  I want to take you out to supper."

So, we went out to Applebee's and shared a 2 for $20, which she paid for.  It wasn't too bad either.  We didn't talk about any of "our" problems.  She gave me a running commentary on when she lived in Greece and about her raise at work.  Then she said something really weird,

"I am such a boaster!  I'm not a good listener either.  I come over to visit you or I go visit Jackie or Shelia and all I do is boast about this and that--what I bought or what a wonderful person I am.  That's just wrong!!!  The Lord laid it on my heart this morning, that I need to learn to shut my mouth and listen, instead of always wanting to talk about myself!"

I had not one idea of what to reply!  So I said, "I've felt that way about myself a lot of times.  I'll be driving home from lunch with the gal pals and I will think, "Geez!  All I did was yak, yak, yak!"

"But you never boast about yourself."

"I was brought up that ya don't "toot your own horn.  If I ever said something real boastful about myself, someone in my family would turn and say, "So...whadda ya want.  A medal?"


It wasn't such a bad time.  She does tire me with her incessant, loud talk, but..........all in all, it was pretty good.

I do think she may have ulterior motives however.  As we were driving out, Judy L. was outside and Dar slowed down and waved--like she wanted Judy L. to see that she is not Dar's only friend?

I may have been used again.  Like I was in my dream about the President?






7 comments:

  1. You make a difference in a LOT of people's lives...in cyber space and else where. Never doubt that.

    Sounds like Dar was being real for a change...might not last but she gave you a window into her perceptions of herself. I don't think you were used when you were leaving the park. It would have been a snob if she'd just whizzed by a friend without slowing down to wave...July L would have known her car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you were there for her when she needed to talk. And, how nice was it that she took you to dinner. We just never know!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blogs. I need to comment more! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! Vickie Okc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to seeing what you're up to everyday, I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you got dinner for your patience :-) I love your blog. I'm so glad you write nearly every day. I'm not nearly that faithful, but I also try not to be on too much after I get home. By the way - good for you advising Dar to go to Alanon. I think her talking like she does has a lot to do with some of those issues. If she goes regularly, it will help so much. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know she's a pain and she can't be different than she is, but you are a good friend and you showed her compassion. What a mess, she is. As we say in the South when someone is a mess, "Bless her heart."

    ReplyDelete