title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I Fainted!

Well--not actually, but..........the phone rang last night and....it was Karen! I haven't talked to her since the middle of August.  She was on her way home, with about 15 minutes to talk.  I am so glad she knows how to drive AND talk on her phone, and it's not against the law here,as yet.

"Hi Mom.  How are you doing?"

"Wonderful, how about you"?  How's the teaching job going?  Is Maddie enjoying college?  When are Helene and Marcus coming home from Europe?  I'm so glad they post pictures on Face Book."
<the conversation shows you who needs to talk more>

"The teaching job is great.  I am teaching AP Calculus and Algebra I and II.  It's been a long time since I have studied Calculus.  Maddie loves her classes.  The kids are flying in late Sunday night."

"What a wonderful experience for them...to be able to tour parts of Europe.  To be able to go together."

"Yes.  Helene wanted to go back to Spain and Rome.  She knows the places to visit and had the time.  Marcus has the money...so it worked out great."

"Have you heard from Jen?"

"No.  I left a message, but she hasn't called back."

"Pammie told me the kids love their new schools.  Andrew is taking advanced math classes at the high school, in the morning. "

"What grade did they finally put him in."

"They skipped him up from sixth to eighth."

"You know, Mom, he really is brilliant."

"Ya, I know, but...he's not very nice to Elise and Alex.  Pammie says he's a bully to them."

"Hm-mm.  I'm at the store now Mom, so I gotta get off the phone."

"Okay, Sweetheart.  Thank you for calling me."

"I will try and call every week from now on."

"Oh, that isn't really necessary.  Every other week would be fine with me.  Just call when you can.  I do love to hear your voice and to know what's going on."

"Okay.  Love you Mom."

"I love you too.  Thanks."
===============================
I just smiled the rest of the evening.  I wonder if Pam said something to her.  When I talked to Pam Sunday night, I said "Sometimes I feel like I am the only one alive.  Is there anyone out there?  A ten minute call once in a while wouldn't hurt, just to check and make sure I'm still alive."

Pammie said, "Oh Mom...we know you're all right.  You're always all right.  Besides...if you dropped dead or something, Pearl has my phone number and she'd call and let us know."
<then I heard her snicker>

BRATS!!! All of them!  Ungrateful brats.  When I think of the pain I went through to deliver those kids--the intense pain.....the sleepless nights..........the teenage problems....................the...........
======================

I went to the food bank today.  They were well stocked today.  The meat in the freezer was amazing!  Top Rib-Eye steak!  2--$17.23 from Meijer's!  Sirloin and  Porterhouse.  BUT I KNEW--I had to get something that would make more than one meal.  So I got 3# of ground Chuck and a 4# Rump Roast.  A couple of ears of Sweet Corn--kind of dried out, but I think if I steam it in the Microwave, it will be okay.  Some canned veggies and 4 cans of cat food like my cats like!  That thrilled me!  There were 8 cans, but I only took 4 and left the other 4 for someone else.  Flour and sugar, a can of chicken AND a can of Salmon--I love Salmon patties.  It's pink salmon, which isn't my favorite, but it will have to do.  Detergent and a pack of bathroom tissue--the thin kind, but it will work.  A dozen eggs!!!  I won't use a dozen eggs in four months, so I gave Jackie seven, because she bakes a lot and I kept five--for the Salmon patties and maybe a couple scrambled eggs, haven't eaten eggs in a long time.

They had large and small packages of Hawaiian Sweet Rolls that I have always wanted to try, but would never buy, so I got a small pack of 4.  They are good, but I prefer a more yeasty roll, but at least I got to try them.  

It was a better trip this time as I kind of am learning what and how much I can get of each thing AND there were four other old ladies in there today, so we chatted and complained about never thinking we'd end up in this position and compared notes and it felt less humiliating.  
=========================
We have had the strangest weather today.  Predicted severe storms.  I checked my radar map and it looked a bit scary.  They said that wind was going to be the big factor in these storms and, flooding.  I don't have to worry about flooding, but wind gusts of 60-70 mph, scare me.  The rain started at noon and it rained and rained--not hard, but just rain. 

The weather guys still kept predicting strong storms as the day progressed.  It started to get more humid and "they" said that would bring on the storms and strong winds, but.............nothing but rain here.

The schools in Detroit released the kids early (noon) because they expected flooded streets and underpasses again, and they did get more rain than we did, but really--no damaging winds and no lightning.

I don't blame the weather guys for scaring me, because, even on my radar that I watch on my computer, it looked very bad.  Thank goodness it wasn't and the cold front is starting to come through and---it is getting cold out there!!!
=================
Nothing is happening across the street.  The parking pad was laid two weeks ago and nothing since.  They don't even park there.  No skirting put on.  No sidewalks.  No nothing.  I don't even know if they are living there.  I see no lights on at night.

They are going to be real quiet neighbor's.  They aren't very sociable.  They don't wave if you see them.  They don't speak unless you speak to them first.  I guess that's a good thing, but...I wonder... what's wrong with them.  LOL




5 comments:

  1. They're not suppose to park on new cement for a week to ten days, according to the guy who laid my new cement this summer.

    We had hard rain all day long, some bouts of wind but nothing like they predicted. I had to walk a lot in it today and am still cold from sitting in wet clothing all day...even had a raincoat and an umbrella, too.

    Glad you got to talk to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also glad that Karen called; I know that did your heart good. Patti and I don't talk often when she's in Daytona. But, then we've never been big on the phone. Usually, and pretty much through the years, when we talk on the phone it's for quite a long time. Kind of get it all done, ya know at once. :)

    I'm glad your weather didn't get as bad as was predicted, and girl; you scared me with "I fainted". LOL

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's better that your new neighbors are quiet rather than like some of your other neighbors. :)
    There has been flooding in my brother's area, but we're good here.
    As for those darned kids, on my part, I realize I could call them more often than I do. We do a lot of joking about it in our family. Mothers always want their kids more than their kids want them. I guess it's the way of the world. Nobody ever tells you that before you have them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see your new neighbors' porch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to call my mom more too

    hey neighbors that don't drive you crazy (YET) are pigs flying? lol

    ReplyDelete