title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Process

Today's high temperature was:  42--I think
Sunny all day
===================================

Up early (8:00) and to the doctor's office by 9:00 to get my blood drawn for the Cardiologist.  He is checking my thyroid and Potassium--which is cool because since I've cut back on my Potassium, I have been curious of what the number is.  

Then, I trudged home and prepared myself for the process for my coronation.

Because of my hip surgeries, I have to take 4 amoxicillin before any dental procedure and today I also took a tiny little 0.5 Ativan.

Getting a crown put on a tooth isn't all that bad--at least I didn't have to have a root canal--which are all that bad.  The process is the hardest part, but nowadays, my dentist uses a computer to digitally take a picture of the tooth and the surrounding teeth, top and bottom to get a precise measurement for the making of the crown.

The worse part was the nummy shots as it was a far back, bottom tooth, #18, and the needle so into your jaw and practically through your cheek.  My dentist kept apologizing and I tried really hard not to cringe.

The next worse part is all that drilling!  They have to use that rough, bone jarring drill before they get to the high speed one.  And of course, the noise near my ear seemed to go straight up into my brain.  I basically laid there and mentally sang hymns or thought about what I was going to eat for supper.

90 minutes later I was done.  The charge was going to be 1,145.00, but when I saw the bill, the dentist had taken off $255.00 and given me a Senior discount of $89.00, so the total bill was $801.00, which they financed for me at $44.50 a month for 18 months, interest free.

This is the tooth that the dentist repaired, about twice a year for FREE!  She told me she would repair it free for the rest of my life, but little by little, more of the tooth as gone and I needed to get it stabilized and crowned to give it more strength and save the tooth.  I had thought of having is pulled, which I did with my last bad, back tooth, but I wanted to be able to chew on that side.

It has been 5 years since I have chewed any food on the left side of my mouth.  I was always afraid of that tooth breaking.  Tonight, I ate supper and chewed everything over on that side.  Now, with the crown, I will be able to eat a meal and not even think of selective chewing.

I got an e-mail from Bethie.  They think her son died of a pulmonary embolism.  Beth and her hubs are flyng over there next week for the funeral and then, later this summer, his wife will come here, bring his ashes and they will have a memorial service and he will be buried in Byron Cemetery.  

Bethie said, "I'm just like you, Judy.  I can't grieve or cry properly.  All I do is pace and shake.  I have warned my family, that weeks after it is all over--then I will have my break down."  I think that is just the way we were raised.

So stoic, strong for everyone around us.  We get through it all and then---six weeks later it hits us--reality--and we become immobilized with depression--anger--fear--weeping for days.

She will be all right.  I have so many people praying for her.  I fear for her husband though.  I hope he doesn't get bitter and angry--that sometimes happens.
===============

Tomorrow, I drive on up to Durand to have lunch with the high school gal pals.  I won't stop in to see my sister, as they aren't arriving home  until Friday, but I think I will drive out to visit a bit with Pammie and check out the damage in Byron.

I'm so tired tonight--probably from nerves--that I am going to bed early--well--11:00 anyway.

Love to all--Jude

Did you see that beautiful moon?  I stepped out on the porch and howled at it.

7 comments:

  1. I have to take 4 amoxicillin to see the dentist, too, for my knee implants. Sounds like you've got a compassionate dentist.

    I didn't see the blood moon and I really wanted to. Boohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rats, I missed the moon.....nothing is right with me since I was hit with the major sickness in Dec.
    I am so sorry about Bethie's son. So unexpected and far away. Prayers will continue for the family.
    Happy you have that dentist apt behind you. It is such an ordeal, not to mention the expense. I could retire right now on what I have put in my mouth!
    Cannot wait to see more of your flowers as they emerge. I think snow is over for now. We are really cold here but the sun is shining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most people hate going to the dentist, and I'm right there with them. I'm glad that's behind you.

    I missed the Blood Moon, but there will be three more, so maybe I'll catch one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your tooth is better - my husband broke one this week too. Same tooth twice! I always think of you when the moon is full :-)
    Howl on. Thinking of your friend and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I guess I'm the same way about grief. Feeling like have to be strong, and then fall completely apart. It's rough.

    Glad your tooth is fixed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so tired
    of all that is going on
    that I am in bed by 7:30.
    Hate the drilling process and grief is the same for me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it, but I missed that moon. I'm so annoyed at myself.

    I love those 18 month/interest free plans. H got an implant a couple of years ago, and he needs another one now. They are so expensive, but we did the 18 month thing. It's almost like buying a car.

    I'm sorry for Bethie. Life is very hard sometimes, but losing a child is too harsh.

    ReplyDelete