title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, April 20, 2014

A Day Of Hope

Today's high temperature was:  72 degrees
Sunny all day
=================================
I did not go to church today.  I haven't gone to church on Easter Sunday for three years.  Why?  I don't know.  Too many people there?  I don't know--I got to every service during Holy Week, except the most important one--Easter Sunday.

Susan called me--she hadn't gone either, which is very strange for her.  She had found some pictures of mother and said, "Boy, you sure do--er--did look like her."

Many people have told me that over the years and I never could see it.  I think you need two pictures at the same age and...she was 23 years older than me, so I couldn't see it, but...I was scanning and saving some pictures and I noticed one when I was 24 and I sure did look like her when she was 23.  So I put the two together.

Yeppers--I guess we did

Of course, I have no comparison now--she never lived beyond 53 years of age so I have no idea what she would have looked like at my age--wish I did.
====================
Pammie called while I was on the phone with Susan.  

"Momma, you will be so proud of me...in fact, I'm really proud of myself!"

"What did you do now?  Climb up on the roof of the barn to straighten a lightning rod?"

"Nope--I made a skirt!"

"I didn't know you knew how to sew."

"A few  years ago, Karen taught me how to sew a real simple skirt--it just has elastic for the waistband.  Yesterday, I went to church with Jen and I felt bad because the skirt I wore is so old, so...on the way home, I stopped at Wal-Mart, got some fabric and this morning--I made a skirt.  I am putting in the hem now and I have to say, it's really pretty.  I'm also making a half slip to go under it.  I see all these women wearing skirts with no slip and you can see right through them!"

"WOW--Pammie!  That is so cool!  You are right about the needed half slip.  I agree.   I didn't know they had services at Jen's church yesterday."

<and here is where the conversation got interesting and has filled me with hope!>

"Oh--we didn't go to Jen's church.  They don't go there much anymore."

"Oh...why?"

"They don't like the minister anymore.  They are very disappointed in the way he is acting."

"The same minister who told her that 'honor your mother' didn't really matter in my case?"

"Yup."

"The same minister that Andrew told me, while they were at the MSU/UofM football game party, was down in the basement with the kids and was swearing and throwing things because UofM was losing?"

"Yup."

"Hm-mm. Jen and Eric were personal friends with him."

"Well, Eric never has really liked him.  He told Jen 10 years ago, he thought the guy was not a very good minister."

"Well, I think others also told her that, didn't they?"

"Yup.  A lot of people did."

"So, where did you go yesterday."

"We went to that new church just up the road from you.  The 2/42 church."

"Wow--that's a big church."

"Yes and I was amazed at how many young families go there and teenagers--loving it and their parents don't have to drag them there."

"Yes.  They have had a huge climb in attendance just in the last year, since they built there.  I know a lot of Maddie's friends go there.  It's kind of a church where people that have become disenchanted with their church and all the rules and regulations their religion calls for.  This church just preaches and teaches from the Bible.  God's laws, not man's."

"We got in the car and Jen said, 'I got more out of that sermon than I have any sermon in the last ten years!'

"Hm-mm.  Maybe some day they will have a teaching on forgiveness or the Ten Commandments and Jen will become more open to renewing her relationship with me."

"Ya know, Momma?  I was thinking the same thing.  I know you pray everyday that God will bring about a reconciliation between you and Jen.  This just might be God working for that to happen."

<tears>

"Maybe Pammie.  I can only hope."
======================
Now--I don't care for that 2/42 church because it is one of those mega churches with the praise rock and roll music, and I am a traditionalist, but............if it helps my daughter get off her high horse and become less judgmental, more forgiving and loving (like she was taught!), then................

I wonder what Jen is going to do about the kids school--at her church.  Andrew is ready to go into Middle School and will be going to public school.  Maybe she will pull the other two out and send them to public school too?  I know Alex is bored with his class work and probably Elise wouldn't mind either--especially if Jen puts it to them about how much more fun they will have or however she does it.

I'd sure like to know what happened.  For the last ten years, all I have heard is how wonderful the people in her church are.  All along I have thought they were quite snooty.  I have spoken to the minister every time I've gone there and felt very cold.  He just sort of waved me off or looked right through me.  Hm-mm--I wonder what happened. 

<I know it's bad, but I have smiled all day about this.>
============================
I went out to supper tonight with Merle, Pearl and their daughter Margie (I love Margie!)  Pearl complained about EVERYTHING.  She ragged on the waitress.  She complained about the food.  She complained about the price.  "Two dollars for two biscuits?  That's terrible!" (I had ordered the biscuits, so why did she care?)

I told her, "It's a Holy day.  Be nice and smile."

She glared at me, LOL.  

We had a good time though and it was nice, but with my ET (essential tremor) making my right hand shake, it is difficult to eat out.  I always get a bit nervous and that makes the tremor worse.  Oh yes--she commented on that too.  

"I'm afraid to sit across from you.  You're going to flick food on my clean shirt or something,"

She said this as she dribbled gravy onto her shirt front.

I turned to Margie, "Do you know where I can get a pattern to make your Mom an adult sized bib?  Friday at the movie--she got popcorn butter grease all over her new shirt!"

Margie said, "We could make many and put holiday pictures on them.  Then when we take her out for a holiday lunch--she can take that bib. Like tonight--she could wear a pink bib with an Easter bunny and basket and eggs motif"

Merle said, "Save money.  Put Halloween on one side and Christmas on the other."
We even got Pearl too laughing.
===================

Monday, I have a whole lot of running around to do.  It is suppose to be warm, but rainy.  I don't care.  I won't melt.  

Later--Jude

Easter time is filled with miracles.  Maybe...just maybe.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think it's bad that you smiled! I would have also. Maybe, if it's God will, you'll find your way back with Jen; I sure hope so. :)

    Love about the apron, and that's a hoot making one reversible.

    I have another friend with ET - hadn't heard of that before, and now you. I'm sorry.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No joke, I have a couple of those adult bibs. Don and I used to use them in the car when we ate take out...easier than getting him and his wheelchair out. They really are a clothes saver.

    I am so encouraged by your conversation about Jen and the new church. I hope it softens her. If nothing more, it shows she can change. Mega churches are taking over the world, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DO look like your mother! I see my mother in the mirror, especially when I'm tired, and other people tell me I look like her. Good!

    Two of my daughters have tremors bad enough that they use a straw to drink from. Sad...

    Too much music in worship services seems to put the emphasis on the music instead of the sermon. Just my opinion, of course; I prefer old hymns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those huge churches are everywhere now, who cares if it can help her to change her mind. I'm holding good thoughts for you.

    The bib story is hilarious. I used those for Dad. I actually have one with lobsters on it, presumably for eating lobster.

    Hang in there, Judy. Things can change when we least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't like the Mega churches, nor their music. I also don't like what they "teach" or the lack of what they teach. More like motivational speakers. Just be nice and try and live good, money will come your way and you'll be happy and we'll all go to Heaven.. I think it might take a bit more than that?

    ReplyDelete