title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, April 25, 2014

A First

Today's high temperature was:  48 degrees
Rainy all day, until evening.
=================================

What a miserable day, weather-wise.  A gentle rain all day, which is okay, but it would have been nicer if it had been warmer.  

I worked a couple of hours, on-line,  for my friend, but my major adventure today was to do something I have never done in my longish life.

At 4:00 this afternoon, I went to a movie all alone!  It was wonderful as I could sit way up in the back row, with no one behind me kicking the back of my seat, or coughing down the back of my neck AND I sat in the seat at the top of the steps, so I could stretch these long legs out and not be crowded by a seat in front of me.

The movie wasn't all that hot.  I saw, "God's Not Dead".  I liked the first part of the movie, because it was so like a philosophy class and professor I had in college.  My professor was an Atheist, as was the professor in the movie.  The class was on proving the existence or non-existence of God--as it was in this movie.  They were studying all the philosophers--just like we did.  Our class ended with a Blue Book Essay exam.  I figured I'd probably failed the class.  The young kids in the class were filling up that Blue Book with discourse on both sides of the argument and I (44 years old) simply wrote:  "There is no way to prove or disprove the existence of God.  A Theist and a Atheist believe as they do based on their own individual feelings and/or faith."  I got a B in the class.

My favorite line from the entire movie was when the college Freshman (a Christian boy) said to the Professor who was railing at God because he was mad at God, "Why are you so angry at something you say doesn't exist?"  Point well taken.

However, the rest of the movie was a bit sappy--there were four or five other story lines of other people going through the movie and I tended to get confused.  Two of the young women looked so much alike I couldn't remember who was who.  Of course, they all had their Come To Jesus moment.  Oh Yeah--it ended with a Christian Rock Group Concert--the usual 7 words repeated 11 times kind of music that I don't care for.  The young kids will like the movie and the people that go to the non-denominational Mega churches will love the movie.  I liked most of it, but wouldn't go see it again.  I'd give it a 5 on a scale of 1-10.  Not like "Heaven Is For Real" which I gave a 10+ and can't wait to be able to buy the DVD.

Hollywood apparently is putting out a lot of Christian movies this year.  I hope none are like "Noah", which they say was directed by an Atheist and actually put out to ridicule Jews and Christians.  As one reviewer said, "If you are expecting to see the story you know from the Bible, forget it.  This is far from the familiar.  The special effects are good, however."  Everyone I know who saw it said it was one of the worse movies they have ever seen.
========================
When I came out of the theater, the rain had stopped and the sun was shining brightly.  That was nice.

I pondered on the way home, why so many people get angry with God.  The Professor in the movie, who had been a child of faith, got angry at God and declared His non-existence, when his mother died when he was twelve.

I don't recall ever being angry at God.  I have often (and still do) wonder why things happen, but angry?  Instead, I always have felt a great sense of gratefulness that I was lucky enough to have the years I did, with my Grandma, Mother, Best Friend, Fred.  

Sad?  Yes.  But angry?  Why?  As far as I could see, God didn't "cause" any of their deaths.  It was either disease, accident, or not taking care of themselves.

The one thing we do possess, and is given to us by God, if Free Choice.  A point stressed in the movie.

14 comments:

  1. Is this the one by Roma Downey and her husband Mark Burnett? I don't think so, but as you say Hollyweird is showing a lot of movies about God.

    Doesn't sound like one I'd care about, but hey good for you going by yourself!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sal--not Roma Downey--or it would have been directed better, I think. You gotta go see Heaven Is For Real--you just gotta. I don't like movies--too much fast action in front of my eyes, too loud, but Heaven Is For Real is nice and quiet and slow, normal moving. It is real nice and you would absolutely love it--I know you would. .

      Delete
  2. After reading your review God is Not Dead, that movie actually sounds like something I would like. At my movie and lunch group yesterday they were talking about Heaven is Read and three of the women had seen the movie multiple times...one four times, another three times! They all agreed they would like to see it again.

    In my opinion, one must be of a Christian denomination that believes in a punishing God in order to get mad at God. They tend to believe that bad things only happen to people who have sinned and if they haven't sinned but still have bad things happen to them, then they feel God was being unjust to them. Thus the anger. Some denominations don't believe in a punishing God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of any denomination that nowadays believes in a punishing God. They all stress how much God loves us. To my way of thinking, if God were a punishing God he'd take out the bad people instead of letting them live into their 90's. But--maybe he is waiting for them to turn to Him before they die? I don't know.

      Delete
    2. You don't watch Pat Robertson much, do you. His brand of Southern Baptists is always punishing someone with anything from AIDS to power outages. Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist church also preaches a hateful God who punishes.There are individual preachers all over the country who like to put the fear of God in their members.

      Delete
  3. Oops, sorry for the spelling errors and missing words in my above comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going to the movies by myself and for many years I went every Friday night or early Sat afternoon. I felt I retained a lot more of the movie that way, too. Now LM and I go infrequently as we have Netflix at home, but I do love the big screen.

    I will never understand those who worship a God that they believe is angry. Glad you enjoyed this one and it sounds thought provoking which I do love. ALl too many movies are mindless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it because there was no one sitting beside me whispering to me about certain scenes and the like :-) I could concentrate on the movie. It is way to costly for me to go every week, for sure.

      Delete
    2. Being angry at God reminds me of Forrest Gump - "You call this a storm?!!!"
      I don't know why that came to mind.

      Delete
    3. Really a waste of time, isn't it? People sometimes have to blame something or someone, so God is a good candidate--like He's not going to have a conversation about it.

      Delete
  5. The only movie I ever went and saw by myself was "An Officer and a Gentleman" and I loved it! Now my favorite thing to do is to rent a few chick flicks when my husband is hunting and just watch 2 or 3 in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to find a film that makes you think and brings back memories. I'm sorry that the second part didn't live up to the promise of the first. We haven't been to the cinema for ages... you've prompted me to take a look at the local listings for the next few weeks! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy,
    Very cool how you went to the movie by yourself. I don't know if I've ever done that. I hate those repetitive songs. Good grief. I could write one of those myself.

    I can't believe it's still so cold I your neck of the woods. Hope it gets pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun to go to the movies by myself!! I'm glad you took a chance and did it. It is my peace and quiet time. No one needs/asks anything from me for 2 quiet dark hours. Once I saw a movie by myself and I was the only one in the whole theater. I really liked that!!
    I agree with you about the whole getting mad at God - not my brand of Christianity, but there are some who believe the punishing thing. I really think God just lets us have the natural consequences of choices we make, and sometimes there are collateral damage to another's choices on us, etc. That's my 2 cents for today :-)

    ReplyDelete