title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Monday, April 14, 2014

Five Eleven In Flats and Crazy As A Bag Of Rats.

Today's high temperature: 71 degrees at 8:00 this morning.
Very windy--rain--cold front came through.
61 degrees by 2:00 p.m.
34 degrees now and spitting snow
================================

Something I heard on T.V. tonight that made me laugh.
"She's five eleven in flats
and crazy as a bag of rats."
==========================================
Okay--I have to admit, I have been worried for the last eight months about my low resting pulse rate.  My primary care doc wasn't a bit concerned, but....I don't exactly trust primary care docs anyway.  Back in the day, our family doctor delivered us, took out our tonsils, set our broken bones, operated on us--whatever--he knew how to do it.  Nowadays, primary care docs seem to be basically, prescription writers and referral machines.  SO--I wanted to hear that I was all right (or not) from an expert.

Thus, my trip to Fred's Cardiologist--I had seen him two years ago, a week after Fred died and he told me I'd live another twenty years.  So--let's see if he still feels that way.

"Oh, it is so good to see you," said his receptionist.  "I miss Fred so much.  I just loved him."

"Me too."

The nurse takes my vitals:  blood pressure; 124/62   weight; 161  height; still 5'11" (same as when I was 21).

Doc comes in, "How have you been the last two years.  You look great!"

"I'm good.  I got my other hip replaced and last summer, for the first time in five years, I was able to work in my gardens and walk all over and....drain and flush the water heater...paint my porch."

He laughs.  "Wonderful...how are you emotionally.  Fred was such a wonderful man...you must really miss him"

"Yes he was.  I do miss him.  I am doing well."

"Do you have tightness, heaviness or pain in your chest?"

"No."

"Any palpitations, or rapid heart rate?"

"No."

"Any shortness of breath?"

"No."

"Any dizziness or feeling faint?"

"Only when I take those water pills...that's why I quit taking them in January."

" Okay..the low pulse rate is nothing to worry about...in fact...it is good!  You've lost thirty pounds.  Your cholesterol is down, as is your blood pressure.  You are probably healthier now than the last time I saw you."

"Okay.  I just wanted to hear it from you...I trust you more than any other doctor I have ever known."

"Okay.  Let's get an EKG just to make sure."

"OKAY.  I really wanted one, but I didn't want to ask and sound like a hypochondriac or something."

"Well--you are in a heart clinic and...we do those things here."

The nurse came in...you know how long an EKG takes--about 10 seconds.  It takes her longer to slap on the leads than to take the test--"lay quietly, please"

Doctor comes back in, "No blockage--no abnormalities--perfect sinus rhythm.  Now..if your pulse rate gets down into the low forties, we might think of a pacemaker, but....you are really good."

Than he lays the Doppler sonogram thingie on both carotid arteries--"very good.  30% blockage--better than good for someone your age..most have 40-45%.  I want to get your thyroid checked and your potassium.  Just get your blood checked and....I will see you in twenty years.  No, wait.  Maybe you better come back in two years, just to make sure I am still alive."

He laughs.  I laugh.  He hugs me and I am outta there.
==========================

YES--I know I am healthy!  I haven't even had a slight cold in four years.  I have wonderful generics.  My ancestor's lived a very long life and died of natural causes when in their late 80's or 90's.  There has never been cancer, on either side of my family--never.  Yet...when I get a pain--a sharp pain--or a dull pain anywhere in my body...I just know that there is something wrong.  All this month, the pain that was in my left back, shoulder, arm and into my chest had me scared--although I have had that pain before and I know very well that that pain is caused by my neck and spine, I still think...."but what if it isn't caused by that this time."

I haven't had that pain for 9 days and I canceled the appointment at the Chiropractor next Monday.  The deep massage certainly isn't helping--well maybe in the long run--but it is not worth it to live with that horrid pain for two weeks!!!!!

So--I get worried and think there must be some deep underlying something that is wrong inside my body.  I totally discount the fact that I am fast approaching seventy-five--I have severe arthritis--I have stenosis of my spine, plus herniated discs, and on and on.  IN MY HEAD--I am still fifty and don't realize (or don't want to face it) that I am...old(er) and older people hurt a lot of the time.  It is very frustrating to me.

I very well may be a hypochondriac even though I rarely go to the doctor.  No--probably just a negative thinking, worrying, type of person.  "five-eleven in flats and crazy as a bag of rats."
=========================
I posted an apology on Face Book this afternoon.  The snow coming tonight is all my fault!  I made an appointment with the Cardiologist in January and the night before, we had six inches of snow.  I canceled the appointment.

I made another one in early February.  The night before we got four inches of snow.  I canceled the appointment.

I made another one in late February.  The night before we got eight inches of snow.  I canceled the appointment.

I finally got to the appointment today and we are predicted to get one to three inches of snow tonight.

ALL.  MY.  FAULT.
==========================
 Hard to see the little blueish purple flowers growing in my lawn.
Snow Glories--and tonight they will all be covered.

HEY--my grass is getting green!!!



9 comments:

  1. Boy your grass sure is green! Our snow is almost.... Gone! Then the clean up begins! So glad you had a good visit to the Dr. I too start to worry with every little ache. Enjoy your day judy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grass and everything else is covered with 3 inches of snow this morning! Thanks for taking the blame. I thought it was my fault because I made plans for a night outing which I never do in the winter.

    I can't believe you haven't lost any height! I've gone from 5.7 1/2 to 5.4 Every time I buy pants and end up with 'short' rather than 'tall' it freaks me out.

    Glad your doctor appointment left you with such good news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your doctor visit went well.Vickie Okc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your cardiologist appointment went well and is over now so maybe we can finally get to Spring?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful to know about your heart being GOOD! Such a blessing.

    My pulse used always be around 60, and many times I was asked by drs if I was a runner. A runner? Oh heck no! :)

    Your yard looks great, Judy!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you found out that everything is A-OK! Sometimes we just need to hear a trusted professional say that.

    We just got a dusting of snow here, but even that tiny bit was too much. Aren't we all over it by now?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, girl. What a great report! Tall and strong!

    I can't believe this winter. We've had beautiful weather this week but today is nasty, very windy and pouring rain. Wonder what summer will bring?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As one with stenosis (and more) in my back - do you think the massages could be making the pain worse actually? Many people have had fractures from chiropractors - I realize they have osteoporosis - and THAT'S the way it was discovered. I am not trusting of chiropractors I will admit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We must have been watching the same show last night. We both laughed at that comment.
    Sounds like you are in tip top shape. All set to do some gardening.
    Have a nice Easter.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete