title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What Day Is It?

The high temperature today was:  66 degrees
The humidity today was: 58%
It rained all day long.
A blessing, LOL.
==============================================
     With the blessed rain--one did not even have to consider going out and massacring the last bushes.  AND with all the clippings raked up and taken away--one did not to worry about that mess either.  It is suppose to rain tomorrow and Friday--another blessing--so maybe Saturday, I can go out and get the job done.  By Saturday, my back, legs and arms "may" have recovered.

     Wonder of wonders--since Monday, I have awakened every morning at 7:15 - 7:35 and I am not groggy first thing.  Apparently, since the gas exhaust vent has been put into place and I am no longer being euthanized, I am feeling better!  

     The only thing wrong with getting up so early (to me early)--I still don't go to bed until around 1:00 a.m., so--today at 2:00, after my Soap, I kicked back the recliner, cats climbed up on my lap and we slept until 5:00!!!

    Tonight, there was no baseball game on TV, so I popped in my newest DVD.  It is called "42" and is the story of Jackie Robinson.  The first black baseball player in the major leagues.  What a great movie it was.  What a great player.  What a great man.  He died way too young.  But--his jersey number is the first one to ever be retired for ALL teams.  Every year, for one week, every baseball player in the Major Leagues, wear the number 42 on their back--to prove they are all alike.  My favorite conversation in the movie was when Branch Rickey told his people he was going to sign Robinson.  He said, "He is a Methodist.  I am a Methodist.  God is a Methodist!"  Made me laugh.  

   Speaking of being a Methodist---something I read in Jean's blog tonight.  http://misadventuresofwidowhood.blogspot.com/

     Reminded me of when Fred died.  He was in St. Joseph Hospital near Ann Arbor.  The large hospital where most of us around here go.  Great hospital, by the way.  I never gave it a thought that is was a Catholic hospital.  I never saw any priests strolling around.  Not even thinking that there could be women Chaplain's--even when my own daughter does that --in a lay person sort of way.  

     Our family and friends had been praying for Fred.  The church said prayers for him.  When he died, a woman came to me and asked if she could pray for him.  I agreed.  Then when she was done, she took some oil and made the sign of the cross on Fred's forehead.  It startled me.  I said, "Oh, we are Protestant's"--thinking that she had to know, in case she did something wrong.  I felt like I should get a wash cloth and wipe the oil off his forehead, but she assured me it was all right--then I thought I wanted it too, but I knew, I couldn't ask her.  

    Anyway, after she left, his nurse came back in the room and asked me, "Is everything...are you all right?"  I said, "You know--Fred and I are Protestant's."

    She said, "So am I.  In fact, Fred and I talked about it.  I go to the same church in Saline, where his friend is the minister."

    Then I said, "Well--the lady Chaplain just came in, prayed for him and made the sign of the cross on his forehead.................our Protestant friends and church have been praying for him.  You know what......."

     "What?"

     "If I could just find a Rabbi to come in and say a prayer.....Fred would have all his bases covered!"

   She looked at me for a minute, then just burst out laughing.

    Just one instance of the weird thoughts and things that came out of my mouth that whole week.  GEEZ!!  We just aren't ourselves when our nearest and dearest die.  Or......maybe we are?

     You know what is really cool---three months later--in church--at the end of the service, our minister came out to the front of the church and held up a small bottle and said, "In this is a bit of oil--I put some lavender oil in it too.  If anyone would like to come forward for a blessing---it would be all right."  My gosh!  So Catholic!!!  I had never seen that done in a Methodist Church in my lifetime.  Of course I went forward and he made the sign of the cross on my forehead and said, "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit."  I cried all the way back to my pew.  I LOVED IT!!!  I didn't wash my face for days!!!

    I wish we could make the "sign of the cross" in our church.  Why not?  After we take communion, why couldn't we just cross ourselves if we wanted?  
======================================

     Well--that's all of the weird stuff I have today, Kids.  I played on the computer.  I knitted on a baby blanket I am making.  I cross stitched on a baby crib cover I am making. (All for a non-existent baby) and I read--and I napped!  And I didn't feel a bit guilty :-)

Oh yeah--I vacuumed, dusted and a bit of that kind of stuff too.

   Oh--I ordered two bras and two pair of panties today also.  The bras are a size smaller and the panties, two sizes smaller.  The bras were on sale--they usually cost 35.00.  The panties--did  you know that a pair of panties now sells for 6.00 and up?  For one pair!!!  Remember when we could 3 pair in a package for five bucks?  




     

5 comments:

  1. In my thoughts, prayers, meditation - I guess I cover everything
    In the past have gone to Methodist church,
    Presbyterian, Baptist and visits to Catholic and Jewish (too early to look up correct spelling of Synagog) :) I think differently at this time of life and have a strong prayer life and very spiritual - if all of this makes sense.
    So much I do not know but do know I am at peace where God is concerned.
    Oh my on your underwear. For everyday I just buy cotton - and not expensive - for better buy the expensive and rinse by hand :)
    Have a wonderful day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the movie "42" also. I saw it with my senior movie and lunch club. I hate watching sports but I'm a big fancy of sport themed movies...go figure...and of course, anything based in social history is a winning theme for me. Great acting and casing in the movie as well.

    Thanks for writing such a thoughtful and though provoking comment in my blog topic, The Church on Widow Lane. How interesting is was to read here in your blog that your church did the sign of the cross in oil on your forehead just a few months after Fred's passing. I can only imagine how special that was to have that memory bridge back to Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am retired I'm going to do exactly what you are doing now. Get up early because I love the early morning when I don't have to go to work; and stay up late because I love late night TV too! And a nice nap in the middle of the day to make it all possible! LOL! And why don't you cross yourself in church if you want to! I doubt God would mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're getting "42" for the weekend. Really looking forward to it.
    This from a Lutheran website....
    The use of oil (chrism) is mentioned extensively throughout Scripture. There are 224 listings for oil and 170 for anointing. Priests, kings and queens were anointed with oil. Oil was offered as a sacrifice. Oil was used as an agent of healing. The references include such interesting phrases as "the oil of gladness."

    I think that many religions use oils in their religious ceremonies.

    I have seen protestants cross themselves
    "Things they are a changin..."so they say.

    When my grandmother (a very religious Methodist) was hospitalized in a Catholic hospital, she had them remove the crucifix from the wall and put up a picture of "Christ at the Door" from her home.

    Today we think that the old ways were sort of strange...even funny.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy hearing about your day. I cannot believe that business with the hot water heater vent. That is scary.

    I want to see "42". He was an interesting man.

    I'm so glad that you and Fred found each other.

    I can't believe your weather. We had showers all evening but it isn't as cool here now.
    Bella

    ReplyDelete