title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fantastically Fun Day

The high temperature today was: 75 degrees
The humidity today was:  30%
GORGEOUS!!!
====================================================

A walk about my place this morning---gardens are going by, annuals still doing good, Rose of Sharon, purple and pink, and Maggie watching Momma.


Then--I saw the most amazing thing at my bird feeder.  Something I have never seen in my 74 years.
Sorry it is a bit distorted--I had to use my zoom, which isn't very powerful.
It is a White Sparrow.  
Not an Albino because it's eyes are black and it's 
beak is yellow.
This just floored me--I am still amazed.
If any of you have ever seen one, please tell me
what you know about them.  Thanks.


Then I chased a bunch of birds out of my Hummingbird tree, headed back into the house and saw her come raging out of her nest and dive bomb a Blue Jay!  YAY for Momma.  Then I decided to move her feeder closer to her nest--tried to get it high on the branch.




Then Susan came and off we went to Bethie's.  Now--I didn't ask Bethie's permission to put these photos in this blog.  I hope it is all right.  This is a private blog, so no one knows her or where she lives to invade her privacy.  If it isn't all right Beth, please tell me and I will delete them.

Beth has a beautiful home, down a gravel road, up a private gravel road, up a steep drive.  I have loved her home forever!!!  It is on the east side of what used to be a ski club and in earlier years, we'd sit in her living room and watch the skiers.  Now, the ski club no longer exists and someone REALLY rich bought the property and put their house on top of the hill.  BUT--Beth's is a lot nicer!!









Beth put this terrace in all by herself--yes, she was in her forties, but
still a big job!!  It is covered with Myrtle and other ground covers and four hundred million Lilies of the Valley.

Down the drive we walked to meet "Audrey"--a life size doll made by a friend.


I am standing on a small hill--that is why I look so tall--honest!!
(Both Beth and Susan are like 5'2" shrimps.)

One of the walkways into the garden off the drive.

Of course, her lilies are going by also--it's that time of year.

Beth has 36 different varieties of Hosta and a lot of shade loving plants.

It was so funny, we came across a plant, blooms gone, so just looking at the leaves and Beth said, "This is a.........oh I will remember in a few minutes. and then Susan said, "Oh I know, it's ah---starts with an "L", right?"  None of  us could remember.  Finally about 10 minutes later, I yelled, "Astilbe!"  "Yes--tha'st it!  Doesn't start with an "L" does it!" Susan said.  Beth and I are 74 and Susan is only 61 and yet, not a one of could remember that dang name!!  She also has many Lenten Rose plants--lots of plant starters she can give Susan for her new garden.

I love fungi--thought this was a frog at first!!!

...another plant that I loved the leaf on--can't remember what it
was called.  Beth told us--I have forgotten already!!


Back up in the tree tops on their gazebo front porch.
Bethie is holding a Chihuahua they are fostering.
Lovable little dog that has kennel cough.

Not enough pictures taken to show Beth's gorgeous garden and yard.  So many plants I can't remember--lots of woodland plants and shade loving plants and on the other side of her drive, is a stone wall just covered in Lavender, Thyme, Yucca Lilies, ground cover.  Her place is so quiet and peaceful and lush and beautiful!!!  We had a wonderful visit!!

When we got back, I had Susan pick the sun catcher she wanted--she only took one and the one she took was one like my favorite one--kind of bumpy--she likes bumpy too.
The one between the multi-colored one and the pinkish one.


I had the most fantastic day I have had since my birthday!!!!  

Thank you so much Beth and I know we will see you again soon when Susan is ready to transplant some of your generosity in her new garden.
============================

So tonight, I had one of my salad's--not one I will buy again.  A Cobb Salad--it had crumbled bleu cheese, that I scraped off into the garbage pail and some slices of slimy Avocado--YUCK--that went the same place the cheese went.  The rest of it was okay--not great--but okay.  Then I had a blue berry muffin that neighbor Tami brought over--made from berries off some bushes she has planted behind her shed--it was yummy.

Then--I looked out my computer room windows and OHMYGOSH--there was Dar getting out of a 2010 silver Mazda!!!  Her Dad was with her. Sure enough--just like I told her 2 months ago, Daddy was going to buy her a car and--he did!!!  Pearl and I have wondered why he didn't because he is a millionaire and has moved here from Arizona, to live with Dar's youngest brother.  So I ran over and jumped around and squealed with her a bit and got to meet her Dad--who is 92, and her brother and SIL. I thanked her Dad and told him he had done the whole neighborhood a favor--which Dar laughed about and then I said, "Now--you owe me a ride in this new car!!!"  

So after they all left, she pulled up to the end of my drive, I jumped in her car and she drove up and down the streets here in the park.  She hasn't driven for two years and hasn't driven on the expressway for 14 years, so.....she was practicing tonight.  It was actually fun watching her as she put on her blinker light, which caused her window wipers to come on--then pulled the other lever, which caused her washer fluid to come out.  We laughed so hard.  Now--she can go and get her own damn Bigby Coffee, cigarettes, groceries--whatever!!!  No--I shouldn't have said that.  I really am happy for her. 
=======================
So--kids--tomorrow is THE DAY!!!  I will take pictures along the way and "talk" to you as I go about the steps to drain and flush the water heater.  I know if I pretend I am talking to you--like perhaps giving a demonstration, I will be okay.  YIKES!!!

If I live through it, I will post the pix and the commentary.  

















7 comments:

  1. Wow, how special to see an all white sparrow! Look up leucistic birds---birds with a genetic mutation that prevents the feathers from getting the proper pigment. They are different than albinos. Hope she/he sticks around for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures of Beth's beautiful place. Wish I could sit on that porch with you. It looks so peaceful there. I'm glad you had such a nice day.

    Your white sparrow is quite something. I hope he continues to visit you.

    Our weather isn't as nice as yours but it isn't bad for July. The humidity dropped yesterday and it made all the difference.



    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me laugh :o) I know you'll do fine with the water heater. Just give us the instructions as you go...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, and so happy that you had such a fantastic day!

    Your friend's place is awesome. Wish I had your & her's green thumb. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place, Judy. So happy you had that lovely day.
    What good news for you and Pearl that Dar has her own car now.
    Hope your water heater project is all done by now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say that I love that photo of Maggie. It shows off her beautiful markings so nicely. I love her necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home after a morning of errands.
    Checking you out.
    Oh, what a wonderful day you had.
    Love the picture of the white sparrow
    what a treat to see this bird.
    A great time you had with special friends.
    Thank you for sharing...
    Have a good day today.

    ReplyDelete