title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sun Catcher Tutorial





I was going to title this, "How To Make A Sun Catcher", but then "tutorial" sounded so--I don't know--intelligent?  Like I know what I'm doing?  Still experimenting--that's what I'm doing.

DO NOT use a Teflon coated pan.

Put in ONE layer--if you put in more, they are bumpy--unless you want bumpy.

Make sure the beads around the edges are flat or they will bake into hard, sharp edges and you can get cut.  I know this how?  OUCH!

Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

There is a tiny smell of the plastic, while it is baking, but I didn't find it offensive and my oven is only 3 feet away from my recliner.

Also--through experimentation, after 20 minutes, on the large ones, I turned off the oven, but let them sit in there for another 10 minutes.

Take them out, let them cool--at least 20 minutes, flip over and out they pop!

==================================================


The pix on the left is the recipe from Face Book.
The one on the right is my first attempt--it turned out bumpy

This is another one I made on Friday.  At first I didn't like it, but now I do.

============================================================

I decided to make some smaller ones. 



Baker's Secret Texas Size Muffin Pan


I got these translucent Pony Beads at Wal-Mart.
However, there are no blue beads so...

I got this box too, which has blue beads and larger sized beads.

These are what they look like after baking.
Can you see where I put little balls of aluminum foil--I don't 
have a drill, so these worked great to make holes for the wire
dig them out with an awl or the point of a paring knife.

I used 26 gauge copper wire, but you can also use
jewelry filament.  I put extra unbaked beads in between

When I was done, I took it up to Pearl's and she really liked it.  Her hubby went right out and hung it from the overhang of their porch.  They look really great when the sun catches.  I have one similar to this hanging from a tree branch in my front yard.

Pearl came down a bit later and wanted to know if I would make her a big one.  Clear, with a bit of gold and some black specks.  Here it is ready to bake.    Another thing I found out--place the beads "flat" with their holes up.  If they are on their sides, they will tend to turn out bumpy when they are baked.
Unless of course, you want bumpy.

Baker's Secret 8" cake pan




I'm not fond of it, but it's the color's she wanted.  Hope she likes it.

My next attempt will be one for my sister with blue, green, and purple AND I will make it kind of bumpy. Because, I like the kind of bumpy ones best!!!


Here is a tutorial on you tube.  Personally?  I think mine turned out much better.  In theirs, you could still see the shape of the bead.  










5 comments:

  1. I LOVE, these things and can't wait to try it. But I'm confused about the Teflon pans. You say not to use them but your photos all look like Teflon coated pans. How can we tell if they are or aren't unless we buy them new?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how creative you are! I love the small one! I'm already thinking red and green for Christmas ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really pretty. Would smaller beads in smaller tins make nice statement jewellery? Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went out shopping for beads today and wonder if you've tried the ones with glitter in them. I also stopped by the Salvation Army to buy some cake pans because I discovered I don't own any. LOL

    ReplyDelete