title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, May 10, 2013

Wet-Humid-Cold-Gray, but It's Friday!!

52 Degrees today


The carpet cleaning guy was supposed to come at 10:00.  I had everything ready last night, but just had to vacuum the bathroom.  I was going potty, when the door bell rang at 9:00.  There was his little smiling face and there I was in my pink cotton nightshirt.

"Hi, I'm Darryl.  I'm here to clean your carpet."  Sunshine radiating from his big smile.

"At ten.  My appointment is at ten."  Bed hair rising from my head, crossed arms to conceal boobs under night shirt.

"Oh...do you want me to come back at ten?"

"Nah.  Unload your truck and I will run and get dressed."

So, in he came all smiles and out I came all dressed.  Vacuumed the bathroom while he was measuring the areas to be cleaned.  The living room which is 18 x 16, the bathroom, which is 8 x 6, four feet into the bedroom and den and the huge, long couch= $124.30.

"Sounds good!"  I say.  The last time I got it cleaned with Stanley Steemer, it cost $120.00 three years ago and all they did was the living room and bath.

So I came in the den/computer room/catch-all room and played games on Face Book while he got to work.  The cats were traumatized and hid--somewhere I don't know where.  They didn't come out for an hour after he left.

Exactly one hour later he was done.  He even did that small area behind the toilet--Stanley Steemer said they didn't have a tool that would fit back there.  AND he got a stain out of the bathroom carpet that has been there for eons--Stanley Steemer said they couldn't get it out.

A local company--I prefer to do business with locals when I can--he had me go around and inspect all of it.  I am very pleased.  Two to four hours for it to dry--but with it so humid and wet outside, it may take longer.  I don't care!!!  Lately, the carpet has felt "crunchy" under my bare feet when I walked across it.  Crunchy from all the embedded dirt I suppose.




I took down the shower curtain, liner and towels and rugs in the bathroom and threw them in the washer.  Might as well make it ALL clean and pretty.  And, I have to mop the kitchen floor.  You know how it is, they get water on the floor when they move their hoses around.

Look at this picture.  I found this old bottle, up on a shelf in the horse barn out on The Farm.  I have a bunch of old bottles, cobalt blue bottles and old wooden boxes in this house--from The Farm.

The last time I washed it, the cork would not come out of the bottle and broke off.  RATZ!!!  Last night I had an idea.  I put a needle in the top of the cork, placed the top part of the cork on the bottom which was stuck in the bottle and pounded the needle down in.  Secured the top part to the bottom part and--good as new.  I love when I get an idea that works.

Not a very good picture--that streak is because it was sitting on a cushion.

Another invention of mine--a feeder for Baltimore Orioles--doesn't appear to be working!  I have also not seen any hummers as yet.  I think it is still too cold for them to appear--although, I can hear the Orioles song in the woods across the street.  Why won't they come over for lunch?  I have everything they could want.  Grape jelly and oranges!!


So glad I didn't plant my annuals.  They are on porch with a nice, soft old mattress pad drape over two lawn chairs, with geranium, tomato, rosea vinca and assorted vines are nestled against the predicted frost.  We are in for a cold weekend.  Any thought of having Mother's Day brunch, al fresco, are put to rest.  We will be wearing our winter coat to church and then dining INSIDE.

Got my living room all put back together with no injury to back or hips.  Have the furnace turned back on and it smells and feels warm, snuggy and clean in here.  

I am exhausted!  I think I will pop in a video--as Friday TV viewing leaves a lot to be desired--and watch and cross stitch a bit.

Hoping your Mother's Day will be warm and sunny, with children present.










5 comments:

  1. Happy Mothers Day! Here in UK we celebrate in March. Thats guaranteed to be horribly cold! We are due a damp weekend but the weather is finally a little milder. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest daughter's family will visit tomorrow - also middle daughter. I am making a chocolate pie and they are bringing something. Rain all night and this morning.
    You have a lot done and all looks beautiful and clean.
    Enjoy and take care of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Mother's Day to you also, Judy. One of the best mom's I know.

    So glad you were able to have the carpet cleaned; it looks nice. I need to have that done here.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, Judy. It always feels so good when you get things like that done. We must get our rugs cleaned, too. Glad the frost didn't get your new pretties. You were smart to wait. My kids won't be here for Mother's Day, but they were here last weekend, so I'm good with it, and I received flowers yesterday. Happy Mother's day to you. I hope it's good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day. We will end up with all the offspring here - not sure I really want to do this, but I guess there is no sense waiting. There's not a mourning period for a beloved pet I don't suppose! On with enjoying the living.

    ReplyDelete