title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Nice Thursday

Pearl and I have been having this running argument for a couple of weeks.  We drove by a really pretty pink tree/bush with tulip shaped flowers and I said, "I love Tulip trees."  It looked like this.

Pearl says, "That's not a Tulip Tree, that's a Magnolia Tree."

I said, "I had one--it's still in Pammie's yard and when the kids got it for me, the tag said, Tulip Tree."

"Well, the tag was wrong!"

So, I decided not to argue, because it is fruitless to argue with Pearl.  She knows everything.  Her way is the only way.  I still love her!!!

So, when we got home from the animal control, where we spent an hour looking for a cat and all she did was scare them and they swatted at her, I got on the Internet, typed in Tulip Tree and up came the above image.  So then I typed in Magnolia Tree and up came this image.


So I walked down to Pearl's because I had some left over Miracle-Gro potting soil and she needed some for her pots and I showed her the print outs and the explanations.

"I found this on the Internet. They say THIS is a Magnolia Tree."  Showing her the above photo.

"Well, the Internet is wrong!" she says.

I say, "Pearl---you are telling me that the Internet--the World Wide Web search is incorrect?"

"Yes!"

"But--it's like the biggest encyclopedia in the world!"

"I don't care--it's wrong.  You can't believe anything you see on the Internet."  (She who can't figure out how to get into Face Book to play games.)

So--I'm feeling a bit snotty because I know, Pearl has to see it in front of her to believe.

"C'mon--get in the car.  I am taking you on an adventure."

So I got get my car, she hops in and I drive across the road to the nursery.   

"Why are we going in here, I already got all my flowers!"

"Just come along, I gotta see something."  So I lead her out into the nursery part--where all the trees are.  A clerk comes up and says, "May I help you ladies?"

"Yes," I say, "Can you show us what kind of Tulip Trees you have left."

So we follow along behind him and he points out a smallish tree, about four feet high and, thankfully, it still has three blooms on it and......it looks like the pink picture up above.

"That's NOT a Tulip Tree," says Pearl.  "That is a Magnolia Tree!  Tulip Trees are very tall and have yellowish, cup shaped blooms!"

This poor young man realizes that there is trouble in the air.

"Ah--I don't know about that ma'am--but this is a Tulip Tree," and he shows her the tag.  "but It IS related to the Magnolia," he says.

So Pearl turns and starts walking away, I thank him, run after her to get to the car first so I can turn it on and get the A/C running and off we go back home.

So, this morning at exactly 9:02 Pearl is at my door.  I am just getting up and in she comes with her gardening book.  She opens it up and says,  "THIS is a Tulip Tree--dammit!"  and shows me this picture.


"See how the blooms look like Tulips?"

"Yes," I groggily say, "but so do the pink blooms on MY tulip tree.  They look like a cup almost. But neither one looks like the picture of the Magnolia Tree.  That looks almost like a Gardenia flower."

So she leaves because I have to get ready to drive up to lunch with my Gal Pals.  When I get home, Pearl comes toddling down with a piece of paper in her hand.  "I got my computer turned on and went to Google and typed in Tulip Tree and look what I found." and she shows me a whole page she has printed out.

These are all listed under Tulip Trees.

So we have decided that we won't argue anymore and when we talk about Tulip Trees--which I hope we never do again--she will say "The yellow Tulip Tree," and I will say, "My pink Tulip Tree."  Then she said, "I'm still going to call the pink ones Magnolia Trees!"

"Okay."  Too funny!!!
====================================

So, I got to visit my sister today and see a bit more.  She got her new refrigerator and her granite counter tops are coming tomorrow.  She has arranged the new family room a bit more.

View from family room and entryway into kitchen


Family room

See the dough box Bethie gave her?  Susan loves it!!!!
================================
One last thing--on Face Book, I have an extremely Liberal "friend"--I have only seen her twice in my entire life, but she is on my "friends" list.  Don't you love Face Book?  You have all these "friends" you never see--nuts really.  This friend ONLY posts links on her page.  So when I open FB in the morning, here are 4-7 political links all down my first page.  All very negative against Conservatives, of course.  I went in and blocked that--I only want to see what she posts about what she is doing or what is going on in her life--I don't see any of those posts, so apparently nothing much is going on in her life.

I have to be careful and not post anything against her points of view or she will comment under my post some snarky thing and likes to engage me in a "discussion", which of course I can never win, because it is impossible.  She of course can post anything she wants, but I am not allowed the same privilege.  I find politically extreme people to be that way.  They preach tolerance, but they rarely practice it.  She is so far to the Left, you'd need binoculars to see her.  I have a Conservative friend who is that same way--waaaaay out there to the right and intolerant.  They both drive me nutz!

So tonight I see a nice link--a passage from the Bible about not worrying--to ask God for all your needs--which I need to remember on a daily basis, and I shared it on my page.

To me it is kind of the like the passage from Matthew that tells us to "take no worry for the morrow".

This was her comment.

"This sounds like all those people the Republicans hate...the homeless...those on welfare...etc."

I'm thinking, "What?"

I responded to her--I knew when I was typing my reply that I shouldn't be engaging her at all!!  I should have said, "What does your comment have to do with not worrying and asking God to fulfill your needs?"  I AM AN IDIOT!!!  You cannot win with people like this!!  Then of course, another of my more normal friends came on and commented and I could see there was going to be a war of words.  I just went in and deleted the whole dang post before that could happen!!!  How did I get so controversial?  

The other day I posted something about Benghazi and how I was worried that those people were killed and it appeared that help was nearby, but the order was never given for the F-15's to fly in and help.  Her comment was, "Remember all those people that were killed when Bush was President."  That time I did reply, "What does that have to do with Benghazi?"

Anyway--I have learned NEVER to comment on one of her posted links as if you differ in the least or even ask an innocent question, her Liberal friends will get on there and tell you how stupid you are.  That actually happened to me.  She has a couple of 20-something friends that like to say how stupid anyone is who might differ with their viewpoint.  Tolerance?  I think not!!!

So--from now on, if I post a prayer or a religious passage or anything like that AND she comments, which I know she will--I shall ignore her.  

Or--I will share a really ultra-right Conservative link just to rattle her cage!! Hee hee hee.

My life is sooooooo fun!!!





6 comments:

  1. Good morning, Judy.
    Your sister is doing a beautiful job on the house.

    I never talk politics, religion or sex... well, maybe sex, but I always exaggerate. :)

    I love your debate with Pearl. :) We call Pearl's "tulip tree" a poplar around these parts... some refer to it as a tulip poplar. They grow to be huge trees. I have one in my backyard. We call your pink tree a tulip tree and they are gorgeous when they bloom. Their blooms never last long enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't exaggerate about sex--I have completely forgotten what all is involved in the activity.

      Delete
    2. LOL :) We could get you a tutor!

      Delete
  2. You crack me up with those neighbors, Judy. Maybe I should move into a place so I'll have someone to argue with. :)

    I know exactly who you're talking about on FB; I don't know her, but I see those comments. She sure likes to argue. I don't say much if anything about politics mainly because I don't know enough to talk about it. I DO know that our country seems to be going to hell in a hand basket. It scares me, not for myself, but the younger ones coming up. ACK

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so ornery :o)
    I enjoy your posts, and am glad to stir the pot in the liberal arena any day! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sisters house is looking really good! Love that kitchen!

    ReplyDelete