title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

A lovely rainy day.............

Another bright idea of mine that didn't go quite like I thought.

It occurred to me this morning, as hard rain was pelting down, bringing leaves off my Maple trees with it and piling them on my newly mulched garden.  Next spring, those leaves are going to be all mushy and how do I get them off the garden?  If I rake them off, as usual, I will also rake off the mulch!

Okay.  So now I know why people mulch their gardens in the spring.  They look nice all summer.  So...lesson learned, on the side garden, that I have yet to cut back and clean up, I am going to lay down the Preen and the nice garden soil amendment and save the remaining (2) bags of mulch and do that in the spring.

Now I know why the mulch was on sale.  I may be toting bags of mulch in the trunk of my car all winter.  Oh well, the better traction to give me, driving in the snow?  Although, my car is front-wheel drive, so for traction, I'd need to stack the mulch under the hood of the car and that doesn't seem feasible!  EGADS!!!!!!!!
===========================
I wrestled my porch wooden rocker into the house, to store it for winter, and put it over by the East window.  Maggie claimed it immediately for her napping place.

It was cold and rained most of the day.  With that going on for me, I spent most of the day finishing up my Nativity cross stitch.  I will wait until there is a 65% discount on getting it framed at Michael's.  I figure I can mat and frame the one I did for Della's birthday, myself.  It is smaller and I used to do all my own matting and framing.

This Saturday, I am driving up to Byron to our school's Alumni Banquet.  This is the time all who graduated from the school, gather.  It used to be in the evening, but now they have it from Noon-3:00.  Eating at 1:00.  My class is being honored--60 (gasp) years and the Old School Gal Pals are all going instead of having our monthly luncheon.  My oldest daughter Pam's class is also being recognized - 40 years-and she is going too.  I think the first one she has ever attended.

My sister is not going.  She says she can't be bothered with things like that.  Which seems odd to be because she loves getting together with her classmates.  Anyway, I will go out to The Farm to visit her after the "banquet".

I can't wait to see who comes up to me and says, "Mrs. Miller, remember me?"  and I won't because the last time I saw them was when they were 18 and they have changed a lot more than I have in these last 30 years.  LOL.  It should be interesting and fun and only $14.00 for all of it.

10 comments:

  1. You will have a great time at the reunion!

    Maggie looks so happy in the rocker. She probably thinks you are the most thoughtful person in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never been to an alumni gathering and only seen one classmate years later. His lifestyle had become such he really looked “worn.” I had moved several states away,from where I graduated and had no family there, so nothing drawing me back. Have had some email contact with a few who found me a few years ago, but they live elsewhere, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been invited by friends to class reunions. I always smile and reply the same each year, " But is for people who graduated together---I didn't!" Three of those I happened to see recently said, " You know we'd all love for you to be there. That just doesn't matter!"
    Yeah, maybe that's how those three male classmates feel. Believe me, many, many others don't forget or "forgive" anything! Small towns stay the same.
    Truthfully, I'd feel like a fish out of water there. My husband just plain refuses to go to his. Not into it at all. I know you'll have a good time, Judy!

    I can't wait to see your Nativity done and framed for Della. An heirloom, like your little quilts.

    It's strange to me---you in Michigan and I in Virginia---how similar our weather is day to day. But when Ol' Man Winter blows in, we may not get an inch of snow. I imagine you'll get plenty. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trudy, we have the same situation in our class. Jan started out Kindergarten with us, was in band with us and girls basketball. She had to leave and get married in January of our Senior year. She got her GED later that year from our school. It took us, her friends, many years to get her to come to a class reunion We had a couple of boys that quit school to join the Marine's at the beginning of our Senior year. They always came to the reunions--we invited them. Jan was just as much a part of our class as any of us. I finally got her to attend a couple of our Old School Gal Pals lunches and last August, I rode with her to our Class reunion. You talk about small towns--I know all about that coming from one myself.The only reason I got to graduate with my class is, I didn't get pregnant until mid-April and no one on the school board knew about it, so I didn't get kicked out of school. There were 3 of us that had babies 7.5-8 months after we graduated. We all attend our class reunions and Jan is going to this reunion on Saturday. So the next time you have the opportunity, just hold your head up high and walk right in and say "Hi". I'll bet you'll be welcomed beyond your wildest dreams.

      Delete
  4. That rocker looks so nice inside at your window. Maggie will enjoy it all winter long and cry when you put it back outside in spring.

    No, no mulching in fall. We blow enough of our leaves to cover the flower beds and leave them all winter. H throws some fertilizer on them which helps them decay a little. In spring we remove them. The lower level of leaves kind of decay and over the years they make incredible soil (black gold, we call it). The beds love it.

    Have a great time at your reunion! I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to have so much fun that day, and we'll be anxiously waiting to hear about it. Take some photos also. :)

    I use the leaves that I cut from the hedges as mulch! But, in the little area where my roses are (that refuse to grow, thank you GRASSHOPPERS) little rocks.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you want to go to your HS class reunion. I worked on having, and went to our 50th. That was enough for me. ,-)

    The ones who are still around, still go to them. Which is fine and dandy. Just not me cup of tea.

    They ignored me, completely shut me out, until the senior year. When 2 girls "broke up" and one "let me in" to be her friend. Hehhhhhh...

    I remember those 3 years of feeling terrible, every day. More than the 1, of being accepted.

    Jolly on, Class of 1954!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know from mulching but it sounds like a plan to keep the big bags in the trunk. I applaud you for looking forward to the reunion. Can't wait to hear how it all went. I don't like looking back; it depresses me. But then, I was never able to form the roots in a place, that you were fortunate to do. xoxo

    ReplyDelete