title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Our Dear Friend, Balisha.




...and our sweet blog sister Balisha/Patricia is gone.   Simply Balisha--a nickname her husband Joe had given her, when first they met, because Balisha rhymed with Patricia.  She found such joy in the simple things.  Her beautiful gardens--who will tend them now?  Her poetry--she was so good with words.  Her plants waiting for spring in the sunny window in her basement.  Her older friend Elizabeth that she used to visit.  

Sitting quietly in her chair, on the back of their property, by the gardens she had planted there in the woods line.  She was a healthy as can be and then---BOOM!  It happens that way, it seems.  We are going along, feeling good, enjoying life and the next day, the dreadful diagnosis.

...and with Ovarian cancer, by the time the diagnosis is given, it is way to late to cure it.

Perhaps because my best friend ever died of this same wretched disease, I was stunned when I first read Balisha's post about her diagnosis.  I felt that cold knot in my stomach.  I knew--and I was swept up in such sadness.  Real sadness and grief for this beautiful woman I had never met.  

This blog-o-sphere thing we have going on is amazing and wonderful--at least to me.  I become quite close in feeling to many of the women whose blogs I read.  So often, when they are sick or sad, I think, "If I could, I would get in my car and drive to their home."  It is possible to do that, but impossible for me.  Wouldn't it be wonderful--arrive at their home, knock on the door and when they opened it just say, "Hi.  I'm Judy!"

We could sit and talk, they drinking their cup of tea, me sipping on my Diet Pepsi.  Then a few hours later, it would be time for me to leave and I'd hug them so tight and whisper, "I love you" and come on back home.

I wish I had the power of Captain Kirk's transporter!!!

Now Balisha is gone.  The space she took up in the field of atoms that surrounded her, will fill in.  The earth will not stop spinning, life will not stop.  It doesn't seem right to me.  Everything should just completely stop--at least for a few minutes--to honor this lovely woman.

I know when I tend my gardens or plant and watch grow the Purple Hyacinth seeds she sent me, I will think of her.  As long as there is one person left in this world who remembers her, she will exist--in our minds at least. 

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute you've written for your blog friend. I'm sure she's reading it somewhere. I didn't read her blog but I knew a little bit from her comments here and I am sorry for your loss, Judy, and for that of her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend, Judy. :(

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely tribute... I also read Balisha's blog so I'm hoping that she's found her son again, in a happier and pain-free place.....
    (You know that you would be SO welcome if you ever turned up on my doorstep in the UK). Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt punched in the stomach when I read about her. She was such a dear soul. And you are right - I think we all feel a connection as we read along with others' lives. If you knocked on my door, I'd know you in an instant - wouldn't need you to tell me :-)
    Thinking of you, and Balisha's family too.
    Hugs.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew Balisha through you, joining her posts just before her passing. Still, I felt a punch in my gut reading her husband's notice. I felt a reverence for her. Is it because she felt a reverence for all she touched, and shared that reverence with us? I'm so glad you have seeds of hers. Wow : -)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice that you have the Purple Hyacinths as a reminder of your blogging friend!

    ReplyDelete