title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Friday, March 27, 2015

Bummed!

Today, I am bummed, but so grateful for people who can fix things.
================================

Yesterday, my shoulder hurt bad, but not as much as the day before.  Honestly, on Wednesday, I really thought I had a heart issue, because the pain was in my arm and back and jaw.  I was kind of scared.

I rubbed in a good amount of horse liniment (that Fred swore by) and woke up yesterday without too much pain.  Of course, the more I moved around, the more I did, the more it hurt.

More horse liniment last night and woke this morning with not too much pain.  It has localized in my shoulder now and down into my wing bone.  I have an appointment Monday at 2:30.

I had a funeral visitation, up in hometown, that I wanted to attend.  A 98 year old lady from my ex's side of the family.  I really adored her and knew when I went, I would also get to see my sisters-in-law and brothers-in--law.  We have stayed close through the years.

At 9:00, I turned on the shower and let it run and.........no hot water!!  The pilot light had gone out--this occurs about once a year--strangely, at this time of year.  I tore everything out of one end of my bedroom closet because the water heat is in a space, behind a fire proof door on the west end of the closet.

 You can see what a tight squeeze and you have to lay on  your tummy to see the end of the pilot thermocouple to light it.

I had one heck of a time trying to push down the gas button, while using my long candle lighter to light the pilot.  I tried four times and I just couldn't get it.  My shoulder was screaming.  I called the office to get one of the guys to come do it--a three minute job at most, but by law and because of insurance they aren't allowed.  Last year they were, now they aren't.






I called Pearl and asked if Merle thought he was able to do it.  I know he has back problems, but he said, he's be down after his eye appointment.

3:30--Guess I wasn't going to make the 4-6 visitation.  Plus, we were having some kind of mini-blizzard outside.  Merle came in and we headed back to the closet.

"Yep.  No problem.  I can get this.  Do it to mine."

He laid down on the floor, on his tummy, with two flashlights and the lighter.  I stood over him and straddle him and turned the gauge on to Pilot and pushed down on the gas in-flow button.  Nothing.  He tried five times and...nothing!  I could see that he hadn't a clue as to where to put the lighter--he couldn't or wouldn't or didn't know how to get his neck down that far!  If I could lay flat on the floor, I could have done it myself.

45 minutes later--4:15--I sent him home, sat down in my chair.  My shoulder and upper arm were burning.  I took a few deep breaths, asked God "WHY??", I wanted to just sit and cry for awhile, but I won't allow that, grabbed the phone and called the people who put in my furnace last year.  AAA Service.  They can come out this late afternoon.  $89.95 for the service call!  

$89.95 just to drive one mile here!

Parts not included.

I just sat in my recliner and rocked until the guy got here. 

I have $25.00 in my checking account.  I have no credit cards.  What am I going to do?
===================
Then I remembered, I had a $100 bill tucked away in an envelope in my desk drawer.  Last month, at this time, I had $150 in there, but had to break the $50 for pizza and $11.00 for Elise then had to get a jug of milk and some cat food.

The kid arrived at 5:15--really nice kid.  I sat on the end of the bed and asked questions while he worked--because when it happens again, I want to know what might be wrong.

"No problem with the thermocouple.  It needs to be a 2+ and it's registering 3.  Wiring is all right."

He took the flame lighter, hit the gas in-flow button and the flame roared into life.  YAY.

He put the water heater back together, along with the fire proof door that is so hard to take out and put back in.  Filled out the order paper, I signed, handed him my $100 bill, he gave me back $10.05 and we sat in the living room and talked for an hour!!

What a great conversation!

$89.95 to do a three minute job, that Merle could have done if he weren't so damn old!!!

BUT--the conversation I had with that young man and all he told me about his Mom and Dad, his wife and kids was worth more than $90.00 any day of the week.  Plus, he told me a new way to flush and drain my water heater--at least 8 steps less than I do, so the lesson was worth it :-)

Now--I gotta figure out how to put some more emergency $$$ back into that envelope!

Thank you, God.  You always provide.

6 comments:

  1. It's always when you want to go somewhere when the hot water heater pilot goes out, isn't it. At least it was fixable.

    Too bad you missed the visitation. I'll be Pearl would have let you take a shower at her place and deal with the hot water heater the next day.

    Hope you get some answers on your shoulder on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that you're in such pain with that shoulder, and hope that you'll get some relief on Monday. :(

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope the doctor can get you 100% relief on Monday. Horrible timing with that water heater. So sorry you missed the visitation. And geez that was expensive! Thank goodness for emergency funds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can get your shoulder fixed and avoid that shot. I remember how long that needle was, although to be honest, it really didn't hurt that bad, took only a second and eventually brought me relief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh bummer Judy! It seems like highway robbery to charge so much just to light the pilot!

    ReplyDelete