title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

It's Colder Than A Well Digger's A**

Today's high temperature was:  19
Feels like temperature:   9
Light snow all day.
=========================
I heard that phrase (title) when I was 45 years old and dating a guy from Georgia.  He was a real stupid person actually, but he had to explain to me what it meant, as I had no clue.

"Back in the day, they dug wells by hand.  
The further down into the hole the 
well digger got, the colder it got. 
He was leaning back against the cold ground and his ass got froze."

Okay.  I wonder what happened to him--he was very tall and skinny with a big Adam's Apple--looked and acted like a real hillbilly and wasn't all that bright.  But, he worked for GM and made a good salary.  He's the same one that said:

"Ya'll get nahce tar on yer car."

Nice tar?  All over my car?  I went to look.

He meant, "nice tires".
=======================================

For some reason, these photos made me chuckle.  These were taken at Nelson Mandela's funeral.  Now, remember--these people are on the platform, up in front, for all to see. Michelle is the one I studied--the look on her face and her body language says a lot.

The President greets the beautiful, blond Prime Minister of Denmark


 Let's take a "selfie".


"Sorry Honey.  Here, you sit next to her." 
(Look at Michelle--she isn't even looking at him.)


Why aren't Michelle and the Prime Minister chatting it up? 

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation.  I thought it was disrespectful behavior at a funeral, but then, what do I know..perhaps it is common behavior.  I think Michelle probably didn't find it humorous.  
---------------------------------------------
I like these photos better--showing Hillary, the Bush's and Obama's having a fun time together.



===============================
Today, I wrapped the few gifts I have for my family.  I didn't have boxes to put the girls scrubbies in, but I had saved Kleenex boxes.  I cut them down and they worked great!!!


You cut off the top, and cut the flaps just to the sides



Fold the flaps in and bend the top down to the side joint 


Tape the top and side together, and you have a nice, neat little box. 

My Mother would be proud of me!!  Necessity is the mother of invention.  Hold your applause--yes I know, I am clever, LOL.

I also took the last 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce that was frozen, put it back into the big pot and cooked it down some more so it is thicker. Then bagged it up in quart Ziplock baggies and put it back in the freezer. 
=====================
I heard from Karen tonight that Grandson Stephen (her MSU sophomore) has tickets to the Rose Bowl.  He and two other guys--can't afford to fly so they are driving!!!  From here to California!!! 32 hours one way.  Karen, never a worrier, but has been since Maddie's accident last week, is concerned.  I said, "You gotta let him do it.  You pray he will be okay and let him go.  It will be a great experience for him."  He and his two buds plan on staying at his oldest sister Helene's apartment.  She has a studio apartment--very tiny.  She said she had room for two, Stephen said, "Well three of us are coming."  Two can sleep on the floor and one will have to sleep in the bath tub.  LOL!!!  Heck--they are college kids--they can do it and think it's all fun.
=============================
 As I looked out the living room window across from me tonight--this is what I saw.  It looks like I have a lighted tree out in my side yard.  I like it!!!








5 comments:

  1. I envied your weather all summer, but now I'm seeing the other side of the coin. Stay warm. :)

    I heard someone say (about the funeral pics) that it's a nontroversy! I tend to agree. While fun to analyze all the expressions, I have to say that I'm glad no one is documenting my every expression or action... especially when I step on the scales in the morning. Horror!

    Love the tree reflection. I can't get over how big your tree is. I'll have to take a pic of my puny little tree. I do like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cold has arrived here overnight...Love the winter, though. The air is crisp, and the sun makes everything sparkly, and we have the most amazing early evening skies.
    I just love your creativity with making those little boxes, complete with roses, and, then making that yummy sauce. You've inspired me to make soup for several on my list. Hoping to do it on the weekend.
    Snow coming here this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bella, it was the photographer who took those pictures who said it was a non-controversy, that just moments before Michele was involved and laughing, too. When you have a camera that clicks pictured every few seconds, he said, it's easy to pull out one or two that don't reflect the true nature of the event/subject. Also, in Africa the funerals are mostly are devoted to celebration---laughing, singing and dancing so the 'selfie' photo wasn't out of line with what was going on around them at the time.

    Judy, your grandson will have a great time at the Rose Bowl and it's a once in a life time opportunity. But make sure they know to take stuff in the car in case they get caught in a snow storm along the way...water, energy bars, shovel, kitty litter, etc.

    Love your home made boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, to be young again and think that driving 32 hours and cramming four people into a space meant for one is....FUN!!! He'll have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your box ingenuity! Brilliant. My daughter would like that idea too. What a fun time for your grandson. Jealous that there your team is there, but go State!
    I love your tree. For the first time ever, we have white lights, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete