title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Perfect Day To Cross Stitch

Today's high temperature was:  35 degrees
Cloudy, misty
Freezing rain coming tomorrow.
==============================
As for my book, crafts and other things--I would quote: "Truly I tell you," he continued, "no prophet is accepted in his hometown." 

When I first found out my book was being published as an e-book, I was so excited and told my father and family.  The announcement was greeted with an, "Oh--that's nice," and a pat on the head.


If I make a cross stitch or crocheted project for someone outside the family, it is raved over and appreciated.  If it is going to a family member, it is usually unwrapped and, "Thanks.  It's cute."  That's just the way life is.


It does hurt though, doesn't it?  Usually when we are creating something for someone else, we think of that person all the time we are working on it.  We have a perception in our minds of how they will react.  That's the problem with expectations--they rarely are as good as we think they are going to be.  


That's why, I do these craft projects and other things--just for myself!!!  That's why I decorate my house at Christmas time.  That's why I plant and work in my gardens--just for me, because, nobody else comes to visit or cares.


As for the luncheons, 4 or 5 of the gals belong to the Red Hat Society and live in or near the old hometown.  They see and talk to each other often and know all the gossip.  The other 3 or 4 of us, moved from the hometown years ago and are unaware of what is going on and they forget to fill us in--assuming we know, I guess. When I die and my funeral is in the old hometown church, they will send me a nice, small floral display and attend the funeral.  As will my children who don't have time for me now.  What more can I expect?  Nothing, actually.



=======================
So the warm weather moved in, melting the snow, which uncovers the icy roads underneath.  It is slushy and slippery on the streets in this park.  Once out on the main roads--they have all been salted and have been clean and dry for days.  At least, the weather looks good for Christmas Eve when I have to drive up to The Farm and drive home after dark.
=========================
A perfect day to cross stitch and watch TV.  That is about all I did today.  My eyes are just about crossed and everything is a bit blurry right now.





I got my corn planted and moved my cow back away from the fence


Got my John Deere tractor in there and got the little
school over on the corner done.

Tomorrow is predicted to be a day of afternoon freezing rain.  I think I will start on the house--which will go in below the barn.  I not only am obsessed with this, I am addicted now--I can't seem to put it down!




10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that church and tractor! Looks like a little John Deere.

    You have more faith in the ice going away on country roads than I do for Christmas Eve. Around here they don't have the budget to salt in the rural counties like they do in the city and the temperature is isn't going to get high enough to melt the ice on it's own. The salt trunk hasn't even been near my house yet and I'm on a 3rd tier street connected to a 2nd tier street.

    You seem to me to be the kind of person who can do whatever you set out to do and do it well. I'll bet your family is so used to you excelling at so many things that it doesn't seem all that special to them when you product a book or a work of needle art...if that logic makes any sense to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My books arrived today, thank you so much. I am waiting until Christmas Day to read it! I love your new cross stitch, I have to follow a pattern exactly or it looks awful. You are so creative. I think your cows are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all this talk of bad weather, you and Jean R. remind me of what I always tell my husband. The most important possession for an old man is a valid driver's license. I tell him that if he keeps his license, he will have plenty of women to choose from when I'm gone. :)

    I love that cross stitch. Love it and enjoy seeing your progress. You must keep sharing photos as you go along. It's like a picture story.

    It's supposed to be around 80 degrees here tomorrow? Have you ever heard of such a ridiculous thing? It's expected to break all records. Duh. No kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is more truth than fiction in what you tell your husband. A driver's license rates higher than hair in my peer group. LOL

      Delete
  4. Judy
    I appreciate you
    marvel at your talent
    and wishing the best for you
    on our continued journey
    through this life.
    Have a good day
    a peaceful day
    a day of knowing
    you are loved and appreciated...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your question hit the nail on the head with me. YES, it hurts when there is not even the most cursory of thanks for something that you poured your heart and soul in to, and made with much thought about the giftee. I had that happen last year with several quilts I made. Nary a comment. I know full well about giving with no expectations, and in my heart I know this person treasures the handmade gift and will tell others that fact. It is OK BUT it does HURT.
    Your farm scene is coming along beautifully.....I cannot image how you get it so perfect.
    Just baked the date and nut bread and am preparing to have a Christmas lunch with a very long-time girlfriend in Barnstable Village. there may be some shopping done, too. LOL
    Enjoy your day.....just love reading your words with my morning tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are really preaching to the choir here - all of us crafters. It almost seems that the handmade gifts to family are looked on as crap gifts rather than craft gifts. Up untill these last ones I made for a September birthday, I made handmade (well embroidery machine made) items for my son's children - toys. I really do not believe they are appreciated. So I have quit. Hurt - you bet! From now on - crap will be BOUGHT crap, not something I spend hours on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do beautiful work Judy,, I only wish I had money to buy one of yoru books..... and yes I so knwo what you mean about,,,, when I am gone,,,,,, life will just go on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely agree with the quote. Whenever my dad's "wife" read my book to him (it was about my childhood on the farm) he said it wasn't accurate; made me feel like a failure almost. Your cross stitch picture is amazing! To think, you're using your own pattern! Lots of talent there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your cross stitch it is truly a labour of love.

    ReplyDelete