title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Bye Bye Christmas

Today's high temperature was: 25 degrees
2" new snow and sunny
As yet--no power for my friends and family
=================================

Pammie has been staying with Jennifer.  She picked me up on Christmas Eve morning to go up to The Farm--where son Mark is staying with Susan and Chuck.  We had to stop at Pammie's house (where I used to live) first.  It was 35 degrees in the house!  Now--I lived in that area for 50 years.  We had ice storms and we had wind storms that broke off trees and shut off power, but the longest we ever went was 2 days--and that was in the summer.  I have never seen anything like this in my life.  It truly is a state of emergency for most of the county.  The problem?  The county and Consumers Energy USED to trim tree branches back from their lines--especially around their sub-stations.  They cut back on that about five years ago.  So this time, we have line men crews from Kansas, California, Nevada, Ohio and Indiana coming in to get the power back on.  I wonder how much the county actually saved--whatever it is, they will have to pay it to the crews.

So--Pammie and I figured out how to shut off the water and drain the pipes.  Then we got some RV anti-freeze and put it in the toilet bowls and down the drains. Pammie said, "If a man can do it--we can do it!"  and we did!!
======================================

Christmas Eve was wonderful!! For the first time in 43 years there was negativity in the house! No critical remarks--no jokes at another person's expense.  Susan had a picture of our Mother and Dad and also a picture of us with our Grandma--back in 1961 when Karen was just 2 months old.  I haven't seen my son so happy and congenial in years!!!

Then Susan sat down at the piano and played Christmas carols and we all sang.  Pammie got tears in her eyes and said, "This is just like it used to be when Grandma was alive.  I remember it so well," and son Mark said, "I remember too.  We always sang songs while Grandma played the piano."  None of my grandchildren remembered as they weren't born until 15 years after my Mother died. but my oldest grand daughter, Helene said, "Oh that must have been so nice!"  We could be "real" again this year, with the step-mother gone, and you could tell that everyone of us in that house loved all the others and knew they loved us.  What a blessing!!!
===================================


This is the frame I have had (like forever) for the cross stitch I am working on.
It is 26 x 9".


I have the farm I grew up on all done.  Kind of hard to see in this pix.
I got my Mother's little vegetable garden in there, and the Lilac bushes she loved.
Also the little well house and the windmill.  That group of trees, represents
the woods between our place and my Grandma's.
The white building on the upper right, is NOT a church.
It is the school house on the corner, where my Grandma
taught and my Dad attended for 8 years.
Williams District #10.

Now--this farm, my Grandma's farm and the one I lived on and raised by kids--is next.


The house and the hatchery across the drive.
I am wondering how to do the stone work on the front of the house.
YIKES--

P.S.  Bella,  you need new glasses.  I haven't colored my hair in six months.  It is grey all around the front and dark in the back.  I look like the old woman I am!!!  
But, thanks anyway.



3 comments:

  1. I never would have thought of the RV anti-freeze for the toilets and drains. Or even draining the pipes. I always thought you just left your water taps on a little because moving water wouldn't freeze as quickly. Looks like I should add a bottle or two of anti-freeze to my emergency supply. Great idea. I've got all my emergence lights out and batteries put in because I don't think the emergence is over until the ice is off the trees. They say that might happen on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still feeling so sad for those without power; how awful. :(

    It's good though that your son and daughter have someplace warm to stay.

    Your cross stitch is beautiful!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really making me want to try cross stitching again. I think I gave all my thread and such to Goodwill. Sheesh.

    I'm glad you didn't lose power and thank goodness your kids have somewhere to stay until it's all over. It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration at Susan's AND you did look great.

    35 in the house. Whew! That is terribly cold.

    My kids are still here...will leave on Monday morning. We've had a very nice holiday. I'll get back to blogging soon. Stay warm and safe, Judy.

    ReplyDelete