title explained

Onward and upward! something that you say in order to encourage someone to forget an unpleasant experience or failure and to think about the future instead and move forward.

My e-mail: jjmiller6213@comcast.net

Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Best Day

Today's high temperature was:  72 degrees
Today's humidity was: 26%
Sunny, breezy--lovely
=======================================

Now--we are into Jude's favorite kind of weather--the 70's!!  Not such a long post, but lots of pictures.

Rolly clouds under jet streams

It was the third Thursday of the month, so it must be Lunch Bunch day!!!  YAY.  Today was really nice.  Instead of a noisy restaurant, we went to a member's home--such a home you would not believe!!!  Cedar Shake siding, quiet gravel road--ON THE LAKE!!!  She has promised that I can move in and rent the basement!!!!!  Yep--I could live there the rest of my life--not in the whole big house--but the basement--which of course, looks out over the lake and is a walk-out basement.

That is pronounced Are Jen Tine not Are Jen Teen.
Little town about 10 miles east of Byron, my hometown.

Argentine Roller Rink--where we skated a lot.

It used to be called just Myer's Lake
A decade, or so, ago, they sold it to the Byron Methodist Church
This is the park where we used to hang out a lot and swim.
Every last day of school picnic was held here.

Roller Rink in the park--skated a lot here too.

The lake where most of us took Red Cross Swimming lessons
and
where I tried to drown.  I could practically walk to that float out there
and dog paddled the rest of the way, but when we had to jump in
and
the water came around me--I just couldn't remember what to do, so....
the two instructors jumped in and saved me and towed me back to shore.




I am sorry I did not get a picture of the front of the house--
I was carrying in deviled eggs, my purse and Diet Pepsi.
This is what greets you when you walk into the front door
and kitchen.  This room is 30 x 24--living room I guess.

Nice landscaping.

Love the switch plates

My two best gal pals left from the six of us that were a 
"group" especially in high school.
Sally and Bethie

They would not like this picture--from left around --
Ruth Ann, Marlene (in red) Sally, Carolyn (Marlene's sister and our hostess) June, Bethie
One of our group, Nancy is recovering from total knee replacement she had this past Tuesday.

Not a very good picture of Carolyn, but you can see the big room behind her.

and that lady straight in front of you, about to eat cake is
June.
I have mentioned her before!  She married a real weird guy-
I think he had money.  No children, by choice, so she gets irritated
if we spend too much time talking about ours and our grand kids.
She was a teacher and has traveled to 6 Continents
AND
she will tell you all about her travels, ad nauseum.  Plus, she knows
everything about everything and will also tell you that, ad nauseum.
She has told me outright what a plebeian, bumpkin I am
because I have never traveled to Europe and don't want too.
I told her, "There is so much to see in these beautiful United
States and...I have no wish to ride in a crowded plane for a day
to go see some old, falling down,crowded city."
(Which is not exactly true as I'd love to see Germany and Austria
but I will never let HER know that!!)
Each of us take a turn sitting beside her because she will monopolize you
and you can't hear any other's conversations--she wasn't too bad today.
She also has many rentals and will complain, ad nauseum about
all the work involved, but when Sally asked her why she didn't sell
them, June answered, "Oh, I can't afford to." so Sally said, "Well, you
made your decision, now quit griping about it."  LOL

Then on the way home--back roads all the way because....I needed it...


Fields and fields of corn--tasseled out real nice.  Looks like a good crop this year

Hay fields

I believe this time of year, this must be his third cutting.  
That is unusual as we are glad to get first and second cutting.
I was surprised he wasn't chopping it to blow it into his silo.
He is cutting it into furrows to bale.

Love this old barn--what used to be.
Scheffler on the end in some sort of glass circles.

Then, too soon I was back in this construction that's going on around here.

When I shop at the Rich People's store, they give me a coupon for .10 off a gallon of gas.  Last week, they gave me a coupon for .50 off per gallon!!!  I got gas today and only paid $3.00 a gallon.  Which is a really great price.  No wait--$3.00 for a gallon of gas is ridiculous!!!  But--I can't control the price, so at least, today, I got a break.  Do you all remember pulling into the gas station and saying to the attendant, "Give me a dollar's worth, please", and then cruising around on that all weekend?
===============================

I have saved the best news for last.....Bethie gave me some cat food today--YAY--I was needing it.  AND--she said she had another present for me--for birthday's and Christmas' for the next--forever.  It is wonderful!!!  I was stunned and didn't know what to say. Another old box--a Shaker box.  She purchased it in 2006.  It is painted with mustard-milk paint--has what is called Swallow Tail joints in the back, secured with tiny copper tacks.  It is made of Maple--the thin wood, soaked in water and then bent into the oval shape.  It is 110 of 300 made.  It now resides on my wooden box collection site with the Lavender bunch on top--because, Bethie also grows Lavender.  Thank you my sweet friend--it is a cherished piece for me.


Just got a call from the monument company.  My grave markers are in place.  I had called them because they told me "8 to 10 weeks" and it has been 16 weeks.  They said they have been ready for placement for weeks, but the cemetery "guy" never called them to tell them the bases were ready--the bases have been ready since end of June.  It's real hard to get good help nowadays--isn't it?  I just do not understand the ineptitude of some people/businesses, etc!!!  So--now, when I can gather myself to be in the right mood, I will drive on out and see my eternal resting place.  YIKES!!  Might creep me out, but....it is a good thing.

See ya later--who knows what fun tomorrow may bring!

























7 comments:

  1. I always take the back roads when I can. That's one thing I love about where I live... back roads all the way to the grocery store... not a single stop light and only one stop sign and it beautiful in ever season.

    I envy you your group of friends. Our group has shrunk over the years: some have died and some have moved or we've moved. Your friend's view of the lake is beautiful and so is your new box. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the box and the friends! I miss living in the country too. Glad the weather is staying this cool. Next week we are slated for some 90s. I could do without that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful post.
    Feel as though I have been on a visit with you.
    My country roads that I travel so similar to much you share.
    Oh the home is wonderful
    have lived in a grand home and now have a grand cottage:)
    So fortunate you are to have friends of a life time.
    I was raised in Michigan, returning to my birthplace after marriage and with running a business, children and busy life
    just seemed there were not many friends.
    Now back to another homeplace
    it seems everyone I was close to over 30 years ago
    is no longer on the planet.
    Makes for alone life here in the woods.
    In many ways need it.
    But would be nice to have the friendships you have.
    You have a lot of blessings and I love your new box..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe this post! 1) We used to camp every year at Myers Lake when I was a kid and then several times with my kids when they were little; 2) When I was there that building with the open shutters was just a place for kids to hang out with pin ball games and stuff, and I stood at one of those windows holding hands with my "boyfriend" and looking at the lake! 3) Unbelieveably, I almost drowned in that lake, too! Trying to swim out to the dock and I got tired and my friend had to tow me into shore! I am not a good swimmer! I love that place and plan to camp there again some day! Glad you had a nice day and thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, so nice that our friend, Jeanette could relate so well bringing back wonderful memories.

    This really is a great post; always love to see photo's of where my friend's live. You have lovely back roads to travel. It also brings back memories for me as my mom always insisted we go for Sunday drives in different directions and on back roads. :)

    LOVE the gift of the box. It's beautiful.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Lunch group...so cool that you have continued to do this over so many years. The lake view is amazing and I love that box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, LOVE your box collection!

    I'm a bumpkin, too. The idea of traveling to Europe turns me off. And we have something else in common. I just hated the idea of seeing my name on a tombstone. I'm getting used to it now, but it's still weird.

    ReplyDelete